Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Athletes just do not comment on the politics of the host country! Try to find any athlete in Beijing who said anything about Tibet or one child policy and what that means! Wagners thinking about how to criticize and oppose publicly and in the course of her sport display opposition to the host countries laws she doesn't like. If you think rule 50 won't apply if an athlete says something they do or wear means political opposition before the games but don't say it during its ok then that's your view. But where is the stuff about the press asking athletes in Beijing about Tibet or religious persecution or one child policy in china?

yep and same thing will happen in Qatar for the World Cup, never mind boycott 2018 but 2022 respect it is their culture
where the media will tremble with fear from the emirs will not even cover any issues leading to the games
oh well, never mind the implementation of the gay detector in the middle east to deport the gay expatriates
but we must respect it as it is their culture and tradition, lol

aftertherain

Record Breaker
The links were athletes pre Beijing but in Beijing where were Tibet questions after a relay or swimming event? I don't remember phelps on Christian persecution or one child policy. If reporters could contain themselves in china why not Russia? Unless everyone just decides Russia isn't worth the respect of not attacking the hosts laws and government and people. Because these laws aren't just edicts from unelected people.

How is everyone in Russia already? Has the Olympics started prematurely?! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE INFORM ME OF THIS? And I wasn't aware that critics were attacking the Russian people. If they are, they've got issues to sort out.

And as if Michael Phelps is the only person with an opinion. You asked for links and I provided them.

You can be respectful and still speak out. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
yep, and next time we go to the states, one can be on the terrorist list and blacklisted forever :disapp:

a) whaaaaat?!? :eek:
b) oh, never mind. :rolleye:
c) being a troll is really starting to eat up your brain. :sarcasm:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That is absolutely naive of you (and of the Russians and IOC) if they think that athletes will not be interviewed by major news outlets for their opinion.

Actually, since NBC is so vocal about the LGBT issues, and their logo is essentially a rainbow, and since logos are permitted on outfits, it'd be an amusing idea if NBC placed their logo on willing athletes' uniforms in lieu of a flag. :biggrin:

double standard much, where was the huge media buzz around Beijing ?
this issue will be buried in World Cup 2022 even with the gay detector deportation for expatriates. this is nothing more than russophobic excuse to bash the host country

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The links were athletes pre Beijing but in Beijing where were Tibet questions after a relay or swimming event? I don't remember phelps on Christian persecution or one child policy. If reporters could contain themselves in china why not Russia? Unless everyone just decides Russia isn't worth the respect of not attacking the hosts laws and government and people. Because these laws aren't just edicts from unelected people.

As aftertherain said: Russia is singled out in particular because the Anti-Gay Law was put into place so close to the Sochi Olympics. And while China has its shared of issues that need to be tackled, most likely none of them affected or were believed to have affected athletes and their teams directly.

We're not trivializing China's human rights issues but this does affect a greater spread of people. And it also comes at a time where the world is really at a turning point of LGBT rights with much greater acceptance. A decade ago, without the internet and heightened acceptance (I mean, listen to the Pope!), Sochi probably wouldn't have had this international outcry.

But, I can't believe your argument is actually, "Well, nobody spoke up a whole lot about China's human rights issues... so why can't they just remain silent about Russian's human rights issues too?" (Although this is precisely the Russians' hope... everybody put on a smile, nobody ask questions and let's all have a pretty little Olympics free of drama, and then when everyone leaves after 2 weeks we can get right back to Oppression Mode.)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I don't see how Ashley wearing rainbow colored fingernails and earrings shows any heroic act. Rainbow color is not exclusively for LGBTs unless it is made into a flag which is their flag. If Ashley dares to wave rainbow flags at Olympic venues, that might show her something.;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
yep and same thing will happen in Qatar for the World Cup, never mind boycott 2018 but 2022 respect it is their culture
where the media will tremble with fear from the emirs will not even cover any issues leading to the games
oh well, never mind the implementation of the gay detector in the middle east to deport the gay expatriates

Oh yes, respect oppression and discrimination! Clearly the direction the world needs to be heading in. :rolleye:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As aftertherain said: Russia is singled out in particular because the Anti-Gay Law was put into place so close to the Sochi Olympics. And while China has its shared of issues that need to be tackled, most likely none of them affected or were believed to have affected athletes and their teams directly.

We're not trivializing China's human rights issues but this does affect a greater spread of people. And it also comes at a time where the world is really at a turning point of LGBT rights with much greater acceptance. A decade ago, without the internet and heightened acceptance (I mean, listen to the Pope!), Sochi probably wouldn't have had this international outcry.

But, I can't believe your argument is actually, "Well, nobody spoke up a whole lot about China's human rights issues... so why can't they just remain silent about Russian's human rights issues too?" (Although this is precisely the Russians' hope... everybody put on a smile, nobody ask questions and let's all have a pretty little Olympics free of drama, and then when everyone leaves after 2 weeks we can get right back to Oppression Mode.)

of course nobody will a fuzz about this after the Olympics, will wait for another russphobic chance to discredit a country around 2018 and will go back to media blockout mode silence by 2022 World Cup with gay deportation but in a happy media mode, so yes was that what you mean ?

gmyers

Record Breaker
How is everyone in Russia already? Has the Olympics started prematurely?! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE INFORM ME OF THIS? And I wasn't aware that critics were attacking the Russian people. If they are, they've got issues to sort out.

And as if Michael Phelps is the only person with an opinion. You asked for links and I provided them.

You can be respectful and still speak out. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I wasn't saying no athletes were outspoken about china but in china during the games?

As for the last sentence the IOC rules are really about how speaking out is disrespect if its during the games and you're an athlete.

I think this might be very accurate.

It's a sporting event and just really for sports and not to have everyone engage In ideological discussions of what kind of government is best and what laws all countries Should have.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
double standard much, where was the huge media buzz around Beijing ?

So, because not many people didn't speak up about human rights issues then, any other subsequent time human rights issues come up they should be automatically dismissed. Right.

That's a baseless an argument as saying oppression and discrimination is part of that nation's history and culture, so who are we to question that at a later point in time?

Speaking up for human rights isn't something that has an expiry date. And just because we fail to speak up in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't speak up or that we're wrong for speaking up in the future... if anything, the opposite -- because people failed to speak up in Beijing is all the more reason we should try to ensure that doesn't happen again in Sochi.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I was in United States. The uproar about China's human rights issues was not even nearly like this. Present Bush even went to attend the Beijing Olympics.

the western media has history for russophobia
basically they think Russia is still the USSR

you cant count the media will have a blockout in World Cup 2022 even with the gay issues
with fear and tremble from the emirs and of course for business purposes where Europe has huge interests at stake in Dubai, UAE etc

aftertherain

Record Breaker
As for the last sentence the IOC rules are really about how speaking out is disrespect if its during the games and your an athlete.

As for the sentence, again, to my knowledge the Sochi Olympics have not yet taken place. This is all a hypothetical situation. If, during the games, a figure skater happens to speak out about this, then you can wave "I told you so" in my face.

(But I'll still have plenty more to say about that if that does occur.)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's a sporting event and just really for sports and not to have everyone engage In ideological discussions of what kind of government is best and what laws all countries Should have.

I don't know how many Olympics you've ever seen, but to diminish it as something "just really for sports" could not be more narrow-minded.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
the western media has history for russophobia
basically they think Russia is still the USSR

Also, funny how you blast Westerners for criticizing homophobia in Russia, but then you criticize supposed Russophobia in the US.

What's wrong with Russophobia? You must respect this as our culture and tradition. :sarcasm:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't know how many Olympics you've ever seen, but to diminish it as something "just really for sports" could not be more narrow-minded.

making political issues is nothing more than to discredit a host country
the Olympics is all about the athletes, it is never a place to voice ones political concern

they can go to the senate, parliament or whatever

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Also, funny how you blast Westerners for criticizing homophobia in Russia, but then you criticize supposed Russophobia in the US.

What's wrong with Russophobia? You must respect this as our culture and tradition. :sarcasm:

Russophobia is not a political issue , it is a racial/ethnic hatred
nothing to do with the said political issues concerning in the games and this I noticed sharing as someone of mixed ethnic background

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
making political issues is nothing more than to discredit a host country
the Olympics is all about the athletes, it is never a place to voice ones political concern

:laugh: After these Olympics you might need to revise that statement.

Why are so many world leaders invited to/show up to the Olympics then? It's all about the athletes representing the countries so why do you think it's important for them to be there? Why is it seen as a huge snub when Hollande and Obama don't show up, if the Olympics are supposedly "all about the athletes"? It's incredibly delusional to think that the Olympics aren't politicized. You might as well say figure skating isn't politicized and it's "all about the athletes". :rolleye:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Russophobia is not a political issue , it is a racial/ethnic hatred
nothing to do with the said political issues concerning in the games and this I noticed sharing as someone of mixed ethnic background

Homophobia is a hatred of people of a sexual orientation, which like ethnicity, is something inherent in somebody and something that shouldn't be discriminated against. Homophobia is as wrong as discriminating against somebody because they're Russian (which, by the way, is a nationality and not an ethnicity/race).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
:laugh: After these Olympics you might need to revise that statement.

Why are so many world leaders invited to/show up to the Olympics then? It's all about the athletes representing the countries so why do you think it's important for them to be there? Why is it seen as a huge snub when Hollande and Obama don't show up, if the Olympics are supposedly "all about the athletes"? It's incredibly delusional to think that the Olympics aren't politicized. You might as well say figure skating isn't politicized and it's "all about the athletes". :rolleye:

its incredibly ignorant to think taht its all about world leaders and political issues the Olympic Games are for, really ?
you can bet Russia doesnt even care even all leaders boycott they care about how the country will fare at the Olympics
and get as many gold medals as possible and boost people's prestige, do it for the games not for some funny human rights issues