Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
its incredible ignorant to think it all about world leaders and political issues the Olympic Games are for really ?
you can bet Russia doesnt even care even all leaders boycott they care about how the country will fare at the Olympics
and get as many gold medals as possible and boost people's prestige, do it for the games not for some funny human rights issues

I'm not saying that. It's not all about politics, but it's not all about sport either. The Olympics are the world's biggest international sporting event, but that comes tied with international relations. You think it's just a series of athletic events with bigger logistics? It is a congregation of the world, so obviously there will be discussions, politics, seminars, etc. about things other than just solely sport.

Hmm... you might be onto something. Russia wants as many golds as possible... and they're so scared that other countries will fare better, that they created these discriminatory laws knowing non-Russian athletes would speak out against them, and then convinced the IOC to disqualify any pro-LGBT athletes, in order to improve their own athletes' gold medal chances. It all makes sense! :laugh:

Keep your fingers crossed that Yu Na, Mao, Kostner, Murakami, Suzuki and - of course - Wagner all wear rainbow pins, so Julia wins gold for Russian by default (hey, then maybe Gracie can even make the podium, too!). :agree:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
so Julia wins gold for Russian by default (hey, then maybe Gracie can even make the podium, too!). :agree:

Russia is an Olympics powerhouse exception for 2010
where the 1980 baby boomer athletes were on their last games / retired
2014 will be about new faced athletes

why not ?
my dream podium is to have Julia and Gracie both on the pdoium :)

cooper

Medalist
i respect ashley's view/opinion i also respect other athletes who will not share their opinions as well...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
why not ?
my dream podium is to have Julia and Gracie both on the pdoium :)

Perfect! Let's hope that all the other top contenders disqualify themselves as the Russians are hoping for, so we can get Julia and Adelina on that podium. While we're at it, hopefully S/S get DQ'ed for wearing the German rainbow opening ceremony outfit giving V/T the easy win, and hopefully Virtue/Moir get DQ'ed to bump B/S up to silver and guarantees Russia Team Gold. OMG, soooooo many medals for Mother Russia... they'll be back atop the medal standings! :biggrin:

:rolleye:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
disengage! disengage!

(maybe that should be my new custom title, eh, Frenchie?)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Perfect! Let's hope that all the other top contenders disqualify themselves as the Russians are hoping for, so we can get Julia and Adelina on that podium. While we're at it, hopefully S/S get DQ'ed for wearing the German rainbow opening ceremony outfit giving V/T the easy win, and hopefully Virtue/Moir get DQ'ed to bump B/S up to silver and guarantees Russia Team Gold. OMG, soooooo many medals for Mother Russia... they'll be back atop the medal standings! :biggrin:

:rolleye:

you didnt get it do you?
2010 Vancouver , Russia fielded athletes mostly from 1980 baby boomers who were about to retire contributing to the poor medal standings
2014 will be fielded by new young athletes from the 1990s

Brave of Ashley to be violating rule 50: No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.” Disqualification a possibility.

IOC already said nobody is going to be persecuted for wearing rainbow pins.

Can you imagine if the IOC disqualified Wagner (or any other athlete) for rainbow earrings? It would be a suicide move for them. The outrage (in most developed countries anyway) would have been immense.

I would also like to point out that nobody ever got disqualified or even censured for wearing a crucifix. Yet Green Tregaro was ordered to wash off her rainbow nail polish at the World Athletic Championships. Double standards.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Russophobia is not a political issue , it is a racial/ethnic hatred
nothing to do with the said political issues concerning in the games and this I noticed sharing as someone of mixed ethnic background
Well there are some who are still stuck in the Cold War mentality, but not all, and Russia isn't doing much to help matters either.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
you didnt get it do you?
2010 Vancouver , Russia fielded athletes mostly from 1980 baby boomers who were about to retire contributing to the poor medal standings
2014 will be fielded by new young athletes from the 1990s

While the team is overall younger, these new young athletes will not necessarily propel Russia to its former dominance - primarily because of singles (and V/M and D/W owning the top 2 spots in ice dance). Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova are fighting for bronze at best. Kovtun stands a very minute chance at bronze if everyone bombs and he gets homecooked PCS. S/K no medal chance. I/K + 3rd ice dance team no medal chance. V/T have the best medal chance, but they're obviously not from the 1990s. B/S have the second best chance to medal and they're born in 1990/1989. Excluding the guaranteed Team medal, I don't think Russia will get more medals than in Vancouver, however, they do have a good chance at turning Plushenko's silver into pairs Gold and another ice dance bronze, which is a slight improvement (plus a medal from the team event which doesn't really count since it's essentially a matter of colour). They certainly won't get the 4 medals from 2006 or 5 medals from the six Olympics (2002, 1998, 1994, 1992, 1988, 1984) prior to that.

In Vancouver 2010, all the fielded younger skaters actually did poorly while older skaters generally had higher results and pulled the weight - in all disciplines. Both ladies (Leonova/Makarova) were under 20, one of the men was 20 (Borodulin), and we know how those youngsters fared.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
While the team is overall younger, these new young athletes will not necessarily propel Russia to its former dominance - primarily because of singles (and V/M and D/W owning the top 2 spots in ice dance). Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova are fighting for bronze at best. Kovtun stands a very minute chance at bronze if everyone bombs and he gets homecooked PCS. S/K no medal chance. I/K + 3rd ice dance team no medal chance. V/T have the best medal chance, but they're obviously not from the 1990s. B/S have the second best chance to medal and they're born in 1990/1989. Excluding the guaranteed Team medal, I don't think Russia will get more medals than in Vancouver, however, they do have a good chance at turning Plushenko's silver into pairs Gold and another ice dance bronze, which is a slight improvement (plus a medal from the team event which doesn't really count since it's essentially a matter of colour). They certainly won't get the 4 medals from 2006 or 5 medals from the six Olympics (2002, 1998, 1994, 1992, 1988, 1984) prior to that.

In Vancouver 2010, all the fielded younger skaters actually did poorly while older skaters generally had higher results and pulled the weight - in all disciplines. Both ladies (Leonova/Makarova) were from the 1990's, one of the men was from 1989 (Borodulin), and we know how those youngsters fared.

Im referring to all the Russian Athlete delegations for 2014

also Kovtun/Julia/Adelina are of higehr claiber than Borodulin/Makarova/Leonova

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They are higher caliber, but I think they'll have the same medal output (likely much higher placements though). Julia/Adelina can still win a bronze, but I think Suzuki or Wagner (or Kostner if she can get it together) will win it.

Im referring to all the Russian Athlete delegations for 2014

I was referring to figure skating.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
They are higher caliber, but I think they'll have the same medal output (likely much higher placements though). Julia/Adelina can still win a bronze, but I think Suzuki or Wagner (or Kostner if she can get it together) will win it.

I was referring to figure skating.

with the way Wagner is making such attention seeking
a backlash at teh Olympics for her is inevitable

she probably will get a cold wake up call from Gracie anyways who will beat her at Nationals
lets face it Wagner is worn out

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
I believe Ashley's first obligation is to represent her country (if she makes the team) as a sports participant. Rather than the distraction of embroiling herself in a cause and carrying it into the Olympics, wouldn't she be far more effective to use this time excelling at her sport through intense preparation? Any message she might wish to promote would carry much more weight after an Olympic medal is achieved!

mikeko666

Final Flight
The modern Olympics are business events. It's all about money. Even human rights are for sale.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
IOC already said nobody is going to be persecuted for wearing rainbow pins.

Can you imagine if the IOC disqualified Wagner (or any other athlete) for rainbow earrings? It would be a suicide move for them. The outrage (in most developed countries anyway) would have been immense.

I would also like to point out that nobody ever got disqualified or even censured for wearing a crucifix. Yet Green Tregaro was ordered to wash off her rainbow nail polish at the World Athletic Championships. Double standards.

It would be stupid for IOC to act up regarding to the color, any color, of the fingernails or earrings. I don't think IOC would do so either.

NBC has been having peacock symbol ever since 1956 to represent richness in their color programming - a departure from black and white TV. The current NBC peacock logo was adopted in 1986. "The eleven feathers from its previous peacock logo was shortened to six to reference NBC's six divisions at that time: News, Sports, Entertainment, Stations, Network and Productions." Although it is close to the color of rainbow flag, NBC's logo has nothing to do with it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The more I hear from and about Ashley, the more I like her: her unequivocal support for LGBT rights is part of it, but also her ability to be honest about herself and respectful of others, and the fact that she's not afraid to show that she's competitive and assertive - something many women, even in sports, aren't comfortable doing. Much respect for her skating and her character :rock:

I hope she'll do a wonderful job at Nationals and in Sochi.