Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think so. This is just a propaganda and misleading from LGBT sources. The Russian law is against something much deeper than that, such as what US media and schools have been doing.

Says somebody who's tried to present "facts" from jesus-is-saviour.com :rolleye:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh, Ashley's father was in military? I never knew that! The funny thing is that I have always felt that Ashley is like a girl from US military.

yup, she said it in an interview earlier this year that she's a military brat, but really it's been in her bio since forever...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know how long she actually lived up here (she skated under the Anchorage club long after they moved as I recall) but some of her humor definitely sounds the same as Alaskan humor.

I've been a fan of hers since I saw her in 2005 as a novice. I noticed her name on the roster with her Alaska Figure Skating Club notation. Made me take notice of her, her costume was weird for the music she skated to, but I loved her fire even then. Crazy to think that was 9 years ago.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The ariticle is dumb! Like there aren't openly gay people having their picture taken all the time doing that stuff! I saw some pictures from some Elton John concert and all that was going on! No one arrested!

You're right. It is pretty dumb if somebody were fined, arrested, deported, disqualified for holding another member of the same sex's hand or wearing a rainbow pin.

It's a stupid rule - news outlets are going to ask athletes how they feel about the laws, and it's naive to think all athletes will cower before Rule 50 and say "No comment".

Also, what happens after an athlete competes and then speaks out against the law? Does their placement get disqualified or their medal stripped?

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't think so. This is just a propaganda and misleading from LGBT sources. The Russian law is against something much deeper than that, such as what US media and schools have been doing.

You have to be kidding. The IOC has told this to every major publication that has talked to it about it. I'm not going to google and find all the articles with the quotes from the IOC. You can do that if you want to--or not.

Protest zones have been set up in Sochi by Putin, but these are not in Olympic areas and venues.

gmyers

Record Breaker
You're right. It is pretty dumb if somebody were fined, arrested, deported, disqualified for holding another member of the same sex's hand or wearing a rainbow pin.

It's a stupid rule - news outlets are going to ask athletes how they feel about the laws, and it's naive to think all athletes will cower before Rule 50 and say "No comment".

Also, what happens after an athlete competes and then speaks out against the law? Does their placement get disqualified or their medal stripped?

This is another point that i dont believe really because none in the press in Beijing asked any athlete about chinas Policitcs. It's going to be different in Russia? Some ski race ends or bobsled and the first question is about gay rights? Who asked about Tibet to phelps or nastia liukin.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This is another point that i dont believe really because none in the press in Beijing asked any athlete about chinas Policitcs. It's going to be different in Russia? Some ski race ends or bobsled and the first question is about gay rights? Who asked about Tibet to phelps or nastia liukin.

:frown: :bang:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You have to be kidding. The IOC has told this to every major publication that has talked to it about it. I'm not going to google and find all the articles with the quotes from the IOC. You can do that if you want to--or not.

Protest zones have been set up in Sochi by Putin, but these are not in Olympic areas and venues.

Did IOC say that holding hands or wearing rainbow pins will violate the Russian law and Olympic Charter?:confused: I don't mind to do the search for you but if it doesn't exist in the first place, how can I find it?:rolleye: I have never read such thing from IOC. Unless you provide a credible source with IOC quote regarding to this, my original post stands.

Instead of finding what you said, I have found this:

Olympic rules for protesting against Russia's anti-gay laws clarified

"It's about finding a balance across three priorities: the requirement we comply with the Olympic charter, that we understand the laws of the country we're visiting, even if we don't agree with them, and recognising that we believe an Olympic team should reflect the values of the country they represent," said a spokesman. "In our case that means a commitment to freedom of expression. You won't find us taking a strong stance against any athlete exercising their right to freedom of speech."

IOC insiders confirmed that athletes would be free to speak openly in non-accredited areas and at press conferences, insisting that the policy had not changed from previous Games.

IOC: No grounds to challenge Russian anti-gay law as Sochi Olympic Games approach

“Another thing I should add,” Killy said in French, as translated by the Associated Press. “The IOC doesn’t really have the right to discuss the laws in the country where the Olympic Games are organized. As long as the Olympic Charter is respected, we are satisfied, and that is the case.”

As of protest zones "are not in Olympic areas and venues", of course not. It shouldn't be, otherwise, it will violate the Olympic Charter.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
hmm Wagner is 4th in SP,
this is what happens when you open your mouth instead on focusing on skating clean and making the team first

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
hmm Wagner is 4th in SP,
this is what happens when you open your mouth instead on focusing on skating clean and making the team first

So when Wagner was asked by reporters on her feelings about the LGBT situation ca 48 hours before the SP at Nationals, she had 2 clear, obvious choices:
a) she speaks which automatically means she makes a mistake in her SP 48 hours later.
b) she says "no comment", thus guaranteeing doing a clean SP with 3F3T 48 hours later.
Wow, if only someone had told Ashley that 2 days ago... :rolleye: Yes, this was sarcasm.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So when Wagner was asked by reporters on her feelings about the LGBT situation ca 48 hours before the SP at Nationals, she had 2 clear, obvious choices:
a) she speaks which automatically means she makes a mistake in her SP 48 hours later.
b) she says "no comment", thus guaranteeing doing a clean SP with 3F3T 48 hours later.
Wow, if only someone had told Ashley that 2 days ago... :rolleye: Yes, this was sarcasm.

:laugh: Never mind sky_fly. She has a warped sense of cause and effect.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I don't understand why quoting what you wrote equals picking a fight.

So you didn't put me on your ignore list after you've declared that you have?:disapp: Yes, it is picking a fight because you have gone out of your way to bring the argument from another thread in another folder into this thread when you could easily post there in the original thread.

Just in case this might be of importance to you when judging my value as a conversation partner, I can tell you that I'm heterosexual. :party2: Like me more now?

Just in case you are still confused, I do not care about your private life, nor do I want to know about it. Your posts and your stances on the subject would make people either like you or dislike you. Now it's up to you to figure out whether you are liked more or less.;)

:laugh: Never mind sky_fly. She has a warped sense of cause and effect.

It was quite clear what sky-fly meant was that Ashley Wagner did not focus on what she should have completely focused on. Instead, she has devoted too much of her thoughts on a controversial political issue. Well, it might or might not have been pronounced too early. I'd prefer to see Wagner's LP before I say anything.

Frenchie

Medalist
Yes, it is picking a fight because you have gone out of your way to bring the argument from another thread in another folder into this thread when you could easily post there in the original thread.

We were discussing the LGBT issue here as we were in the Brian Boitano Thread a few days ago. Why would I post my contribution to a conversation we're having right now in another thread where we had a conversation a few days ago?
To me, that doesn't make sense. I didn't bring the argument here, since we were already discussing this very issue right here.
I can understand why you're a bit... uneased by the fact that people see that you actually wrote
Don't worry, I will abandon figure skating after the Olympics because it has become too gay for me.
In the year 2014. People have to see it to believe it. I wouldn't just put a sentence of such mindblowing tolerance in "brackets", I'd feel the need to give anyone who is part of this discussion the opportunity to click on the link to check that it was indeed you who wrote that very sentence. I didn't make it up. Sadly. If I read someone citing your stand on the matter in "brackets" in his post, I'd say "he must be making that stuff up, right?" In 2014. Well, sadly, no.
Still, you're entitled to your opinions, and if you feel Figure Skating is too gay for you, and you plan on leaving it behind in a month, then it's your right to say so in this Figure Skating forum. That does actually sound pretty weird if you think about it. Anyway.
But don't complain that people take notice of what awesome stuff you actually write in these forums. I wasn't kidding when I said that your statements were lingering in the back of my head all this time. :disapp:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I can understand why you're a bit... uneased by the fact that people see that you actually wrote

Then you are wrong AGAIN! People have read what I've said already. Dragging a post from another thread, and even posted it twice in the same thread, showed that you want to attack me.

In the year 2014. People have to see it to believe it. I wouldn't just put a sentence of such mindblowing acceptance in "brackets", I'd feel the need to give anyone who is part of this discussion the opportunity to click on the link to check that it was indeed you who wrote that very sentence. I didn't make it up. Sadly. If I read someone citing your stand on the matter in "brackets" in his post, I'd say "he must be making that stuff up, right?" In 2014. Well, sadly, no.
Still, you're entitled to your opinions, and if you feel Figure Skating is too gay for you, and you plan on leaving it behind in a month, then it's your right to say so in this Figure Skating forum. That does actually sound pretty weird if you think about it. Anyway.
But don't complain that people take notice of what awesome stuff you actually write in these forums. I wasn't kidding when I said that your statements were lingering in the back of my head all this time. :disapp:

And you argue that you are not picking the fight?!!!:rolleye: No matter how many times you copy it, it can only say one thing which is that you are very aggressive! You do not have much logic to stand on the issue, so you start the lowball and personal attacks. Isn't this clear who is the real truly bigoted, intolerant person?!:slink:

Frenchie

Medalist
And you argue that you are not picking the fight?!!!:rolleye: You do not have much logic to stand on the issue, so you start the personal attacks. Isn't this clear who is the real truly bigoted, intolerate person?!
I quote what you said and comment on how tolerant your post is in my view.
You call me intolerant and a bigot.
And... I'm the one making personal attacks? Wow. Just wow.