Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Senior Men SP

I'm so happy for Jeremy! and I would like Jason to make the team.

Custom Title
    I am still hoping for two of Max, Joshua or Jason. Given the circumstances, it could happen!

Custom Title
    For me, Jeremy, like Dai, on his good day with all jumps landed, is out of this world!. they simply makes me forget that I actually am watching a competition and enjoy their skating with sheer joy. reminds me why I fell in love with this sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Thanks on both counts, Mrs. P.
    Happy that the crowd appreciated Max. And the Team Brown shirts look cool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIDEO ROUND-UP

ETA:

For anyone interested in seeing men not included above, @HBladesHPassion has tweeted VIDEO links to the FULL Men's SP. I have not tried them, but FYI:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I forgot to say earlier that the link on Friday for the live Ice Desk stuff (plus other IN "backstage" offerings) was:

My hunch is that the same link will be used on Saturday and Sunday -- but I am not 100% sure.

Thank you for the links!

Medalist
    Stephen seemed to handle the the results of his short program like a true sportsman. The "I'm sorry" he sent to the fans from the Kiss and Cry area was seemed to be his way of saying to all us that he knows he can much better than what he showed us. Always takes time out to speak with and sign autographs for us fans. I am hoping to see the skating that he has been showing us during his warm-ups. Such a class act.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    For me, Jeremy, like Dai, on his good day with all jumps landed, is out of this world!. they simply makes me forget that I actually am watching a competition and enjoy their skating with sheer joy. reminds me why I fell in love with this sport.
    ITA - he's a beautiful skater when he's on & he was SO on. So nice to see him actually smile

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    2:50 is the maximum time (ie - the same as 2:40 + :10). This is actually another mistaken technicality that the ISU needs to address for the sake of clarity. The rules as they stand now don't set any minimum time for the SP in the non-dance disciplines. Therefore, how does it make sense to name it the "halfway bonus" for the SP and set it as 1:25 (which is half of the maximum time) when a skater is theoretically allowed to actually skate a SP that only lasts 2 minutes? They need to set a specific SP time with a +/- :10 allowance.
    You're applying freeskate logic to short programs, which is not applicable.

Free skates have always been a single time with a +/- 10 second leeway.

Short programs have ALWAYS had a firm maximum time by which all elements must be completed, with no leeway after the maximum, and no minimum. A 2-minute SP is perfectly legal.

In the 1970s, or 1960s for pairs, when short programs were first instituted, they were all about the required elements, with limits on the kinds of other moves that could be performed in between (e.g., John Curry was concerned whether he would get a deduction for including an Ina Bauer). In that context, accomplishing the required elements in less time than the other competitors could be considered a positive thing -- less time wasted setting up the elements, or in completing the pattern for step sequences.

I believe the maximum time for senior SPs was extended from 2:30 to 2:40 in the 1988-89 season when the 8th element (spiral sequence/second step sequence for ladies and men, respectively) was added.

By 2004 when the IJS was in the process of being phased in, they extended the maximum again to 2:50. The official stated reason was to allow more time for connecting moves between elements. The change may perhaps have been partially in response to Michelle Kwan's time deduction at 2004 Worlds. There may have been some acknowledgment that once IJS became the official system the following year, the high-level spin and step sequence elements were going to take up more time. (Whether that was anticipated in 2004 or not, I don't know, but it did certainly turn out to be the case.)

Of course, since 2010-11 the required elements are back down to 7 instead of 8, but the 2:50 time limit remains, probably both to encourage interesting skating between the elements and to allow for the more time-consuming spins and steps.

For these reasons, and especially since last year now that there's a bonus for jumps after the halfway mark, there's no advantage to getting the elements finished as efficiently as possible -- the extra time can be profitably used to boost the Transitions and Choreography scores.

But there's also no reason to introduce a penalty for getting the requirements finished early. The short program is not about stamina.

(BTW, in the adult skating track free programs also have firm maximums and no minimums. I'm sure the reasoning there is that some adults do have problems maintaining stamina for a program duration commensurate with their test levels.)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15