Senior Men SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Senior Men SP

ivy

On the Ice
So happy for Jeremy! I really think he's the best out there when he delivers - hoping he stays on track. I don't think he ever did more the 2 crosscuts in a row - the details and polish were AMAZING!

Good for Ricky, but was a little bored during his skate - maybe cause I watched Jeremy's first so was spoiled by the excellent PCS elements. Shouldn't he have steps preceding the quad though?

re bonus question - I did notice the results on the USFSA website are a little funky - ie for the ladies the factor for the PCS is listed as 1.00, but is actually correctly calculated at .8 - so even if bonus isn't listed may be calculated in

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Snowflake, I love your pic! :)

Me too. They seem so close. Love their hug pre Jeremy's short.

ETA Jun Miyake is the composer of Lillies of the Valley.

Seems like Golden Skate is slowing down. Well, I'm saying good night hoping for Ashley to skate a great free :thumbsup:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
The SP time is 2:40, you're given +/- 10 seconds from that, which doesn't count towards determining the halfway point. Halfway point of all SP's is 1:20.

thanks, that's what I thought too... but we're wrong.
had I waited until now, I'd know... :rolleye: nbc shows the switch at the 1:25 count at almost every SP - good thing...
Anyway, if I timed it correctly, Jeremy Abbott missed getting the 10% bonus on his 3A by 1 second! Maybe someone wants to re-check...
There has to be a way to change the choreo ever so slightly... 1.08 points more can be a lot!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI, NBC just said that its coverage tonight will include not only the Ladies' FS, but also last night's Men's SP.
Obviously I'm not expecting tape of the entire Men's SP to be shown, but a brief recap would be nice. :)

This afternoon, NBC has shown tape of at least six of the Ladies' SPs instead of live FDs. So ... maybe tonight NBC also will air as many Men's SPs.
  1. Nagasu
  2. Gao
  3. Gold
  4. Wagner
  5. Zawadzki
  6. Edmunds

(Sorry if I have forgotten someone and/or misremembered the order.)

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
re bonus question - I did notice the results on the USFSA website are a little funky - ie for the ladies the factor for the PCS is listed as 1.00, but is actually correctly calculated at .8 - so even if bonus isn't listed may be calculated in

yeah, that's what I thought too... since the results page also said for Polina Edmund's SP: "Planned Combination: 3F3T3T" :laugh:

so I checked the pdf of the NHK trophy where Jeremy competed, and he didn't get the bonus there either.
Since he said in his interview that the original composer of his music had rearranged it during Christmas, maybe the new arrangement has shifted the Axel back a few seconds...
Anyway, here's his SP, you check the clock when he starts moving and then again when he does his 3A and tell me how many seconds he's away from the 1:25 mark... I timed it at... 1 second! ;)

If that's right, someone should tell him to change something!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Does anyone know why Adam didn't do a quad? All week he was saying he was going to do one. He and Rafael didn't look at each other or speak at all in the K &C , and Adam refused to do any interviews with Ice Network (all the other skaters did). I wonder if Rafael is angry at him for changing his program at the last minute? So worried for him. I love him and think he must be crushed.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Watching Lukas Kaugars again, to give me great joy.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
No, it's 2:50.

2:50 is the maximum time (ie - the same as 2:40 + :10). This is actually another mistaken technicality that the ISU needs to address for the sake of clarity. The rules as they stand now don't set any minimum time for the SP in the non-dance disciplines. Therefore, how does it make sense to name it the "halfway bonus" for the SP and set it as 1:25 (which is half of the maximum time) when a skater is theoretically allowed to actually skate a SP that only lasts 2 minutes? They need to set a specific SP time with a +/- :10 allowance.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am still hoping for two of Max, Joshua or Jason. :) Given the circumstances, it could happen! :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
For me, Jeremy, like Dai, on his good day with all jumps landed, is out of this world!. they simply makes me forget that I actually am watching a competition and enjoy their skating with sheer joy. :love: reminds me why I fell in love with this sport. :yes:

katymay

Medalist
Thanks on both counts, Mrs. P. :)
Happy that the crowd appreciated Max. :yay: And the Team Brown shirts look cool. :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIDEO ROUND-UP

ETA:

For anyone interested in seeing men not included above, @HBladesHPassion has tweeted VIDEO links to the FULL Men's SP. I have not tried them, but FYI:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I forgot to say earlier that the link on Friday for the live Ice Desk stuff (plus other IN "backstage" offerings) was:

My hunch is that the same link will be used on Saturday and Sunday -- but I am not 100% sure.

Thank you for the links!

Lightspear

Rinkside
Stephen seemed to handle the the results of his short program like a true sportsman. The "I'm sorry" he sent to the fans from the Kiss and Cry area was seemed to be his way of saying to all us that he knows he can much better than what he showed us. Always takes time out to speak with and sign autographs for us fans. I am hoping to see the skating that he has been showing us during his warm-ups. Such a class act.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
For me, Jeremy, like Dai, on his good day with all jumps landed, is out of this world!. they simply makes me forget that I actually am watching a competition and enjoy their skating with sheer joy. :love: reminds me why I fell in love with this sport. :yes:

ITA - he's a beautiful skater when he's on & he was SO on. So nice to see him actually smile :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
2:50 is the maximum time (ie - the same as 2:40 + :10). This is actually another mistaken technicality that the ISU needs to address for the sake of clarity. The rules as they stand now don't set any minimum time for the SP in the non-dance disciplines. Therefore, how does it make sense to name it the "halfway bonus" for the SP and set it as 1:25 (which is half of the maximum time) when a skater is theoretically allowed to actually skate a SP that only lasts 2 minutes? They need to set a specific SP time with a +/- :10 allowance.

You're applying freeskate logic to short programs, which is not applicable.

Free skates have always been a single time with a +/- 10 second leeway.

Short programs have ALWAYS had a firm maximum time by which all elements must be completed, with no leeway after the maximum, and no minimum. A 2-minute SP is perfectly legal.

In the 1970s, or 1960s for pairs, when short programs were first instituted, they were all about the required elements, with limits on the kinds of other moves that could be performed in between (e.g., John Curry was concerned whether he would get a deduction for including an Ina Bauer). In that context, accomplishing the required elements in less time than the other competitors could be considered a positive thing -- less time wasted setting up the elements, or in completing the pattern for step sequences.

I believe the maximum time for senior SPs was extended from 2:30 to 2:40 in the 1988-89 season when the 8th element (spiral sequence/second step sequence for ladies and men, respectively) was added.

By 2004 when the IJS was in the process of being phased in, they extended the maximum again to 2:50. The official stated reason was to allow more time for connecting moves between elements. The change may perhaps have been partially in response to Michelle Kwan's time deduction at 2004 Worlds. There may have been some acknowledgment that once IJS became the official system the following year, the high-level spin and step sequence elements were going to take up more time. (Whether that was anticipated in 2004 or not, I don't know, but it did certainly turn out to be the case.)

Of course, since 2010-11 the required elements are back down to 7 instead of 8, but the 2:50 time limit remains, probably both to encourage interesting skating between the elements and to allow for the more time-consuming spins and steps.

For these reasons, and especially since last year now that there's a bonus for jumps after the halfway mark, there's no advantage to getting the elements finished as efficiently as possible -- the extra time can be profitably used to boost the Transitions and Choreography scores.

But there's also no reason to introduce a penalty for getting the requirements finished early. The short program is not about stamina.

(BTW, in the adult skating track free programs also have firm maximums and no minimums. I'm sure the reasoning there is that some adults do have problems maintaining stamina for a program duration commensurate with their test levels.)