Senior Men SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Senior Men SP

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I actually feel optimistic about the men. If Jeremy skates like he did tonight in the long and repeats in the Olympics, he could be in the mix for a bronze. The judges really like him. I've always liked Dornbush, and he was great tonight! I also like Jason and Max, so I don't know who I want for that 2nd spot

Why was Max Aaron trying to be something he's not? He's not a ballet boy! He should only do things like West Side Story or some other play/musical/movie soundtrack with a lot of men, punching, fighting, etc. He looked annoyed that he had to do those interpretive things with his hands.

I think it's over for Adam. He's been around for years and never really accomplished all that much--no national championships, making of the GPF, winning the GPF (as Jeremy did)--this was supposed to be his year, and it doesn't look like it now. What a shame.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
heartbreaking not to see adam in sochi :( and dornbush where did he come from?? jason will make the team, pretty sure it will be brown and abbot

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Huh? Dornbush's Beatles program is excellent...my favorite of the season.

Hmm, just to make sure I wasn't missing something, I just rewatched both programs from the GP. I suppose that's why there are nine judges on a panel. I think Brown's program has a concept, he sticks to it, has some wonderful moves and is just more 'in the ice/program'. I'm not a big fan of those 80s programs with multiple cuts, like "Well NOW is the end so let me go from Imagine to Hard Day's Night". To me it's hokey and old fashioned. He did get the crowd with Hard Day's Night and he seemed into it, but I thought Brown's program was much better, and I'm not even referring to jumps. At least Richard has a quad, so he's ahead of Jason in that department. However if Richard could carry the musicality and performance level that he excellently showed tonight I'm all for him going. He was most deservedly in second.

And I should have said "IMO". But of course it's my opinion, I wrote it, I never understood feeling the need to write that, though I sometimes do. It's going to be a nailbiter on Sunday! Can't wait.

emma

Record Breaker
Wow...so many mixed emotions right now!

So, I really think Jeremy and Ricky skated fabulously! Really, really brought it. We might quibble about a few points here and there, but wow, and wow - and really wow, is all I can say about them. And since Jeremy had the quad combo and some incredible footwork and spins (the latter made me particularly happy), I can see the relative difference between the first two.

jason - utter joy. Poor Michael kept trying to be quiet but couldn't - I do hope to see a video without talk at some point :)

My heart really breaks for adam - I know not everyone loves him; but he grabs me and i felt he was seemingly so strong this season. But the second I saw his face, I said to my significant other - oh, crap. He's too nervous. Then, he landed an excellent opening lutz, and I thought: ok, he's in the zone....but, then it didn't happen. I hope he 'kills' the LP, but the point difference will be very tough to overcome. I can see him in third - and that will "ouch."

Nice to see Joshua give Jeremy the sort of congrats before he skated and nice to see him skate well. Not over yet, so I wish him all the best in the LP (and then really can't wait to see him injury free next year:)).

I felt bad for Keegan and though of Tonichelle while watching - the good news is, he really gets into it and seems to have a blast. Too bad he had some jump issues.

Max wasn't at his best, but nice to see him fight through the whole thing.

I miss the guy from California - what is his name, Jonathan Cassar or something like that (spread eagles to die for?).

gottadance

On the Ice
I really hope goldenskate gets this site working for the LP's. I logged in, as they said to do, even though I was already logged in and it didn't make a difference.

its so ridiculous that GS site crashes- its as if they had no idea there would be a lot of traffic for the Nationals ( especially with the Cdn nationals the same weekend ) and with the increased interest for the Olympic team selection.
The Skate Canada site has been a disaster too with the live streaming going down at one point and the results page out for ages.

On another note does anybody else think Jeremy was overscored a bit - yes it was great but surely not 7.5 marks better than Dornbush ???

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I actually feel optimistic about the men. If Jeremy skates like he did tonight in the long and repeats in the Olympics, he could be in the mix for a bronze. The judges really like him. I've always liked Dornbush, and he was great tonight! I also like Jason and Max, so I don't know who I want for that 2nd spot

Why was Max Aaron trying to be something he's not? He's not a ballet boy! He should only do things like West Side Story or some other play/musical/movie soundtrack with a lot of men, punching, fighting, etc. He looked annoyed that he had to do those interpretive things with his hands.

I think it's over for Adam. He's been around for years and never really accomplished all that much--no national championships, making of the GPF, winning the GPF (as Jeremy did)--this was supposed to be his year, and it doesn't look like it now. What a shame.

Jeremy can be iffy though, he can have magical skates and then have a train wreck. Remember he was in 9th place in Vancouver.

Well we never know what will happen in the LP'S. A lot can change.
Only having 2 spots is harsh.
I hope everyone in the top 6 skates well on Sunday.

emma

Record Breaker
its so ridiculous that GS site crashes- its as if they had no idea there would be a lot of traffic for the Nationals ( especially with the Cdn nationals the same weekend ) and with the increased interest for the Olympic team selection.
The Skate Canada site has been a disaster too with the live streaming going down at one point and the results page out for ages.

On another note does anybody else think Jeremy was overscored a bit - yes it was great but surely not 7.5 marks better than Dornbush ???

I's honestly have to watch them again to answer you honestly; but, with the quad combo there are points to be had for Jeremy. And although they were both great and 'on', there was something about the quality of Jeremy's skating and footwork that I felt earned him more points. 7 more points? not sure; pretty sure they both got some love points compared to international panels. Maybe the distance between them could be lessened by 2-3 points, but the order makes total sense to me, and the relative distance between them and the other skaters does as well.

I really am so very happy for both of them and so pleased I got to see them live (via internet)!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Brown is a fave and artistically awesome but he is vulnerable in the lp. If he messes up the 3A he doesn't have the artistry or skating skills of say a Lambiel or Buttle (he's good and getting better but he isn't there yet/ With no quad he is in trouble - of course we do have many inconsistent quad jumpers including Adam, Dornbush, Abbott, Miner, Max and all so who knows but Brown will have to rely on others making mistake. Abbott is a shoo in - I hope he peaks at worlds and wins "his" medal. I kind of don't think it is fair he just peaks finally at hte olympics and steals a medal with so many good worthy skaters but life isn't fair so who knows. And ice is slippery.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
This is totally unexpected. So crazy the US men. I just can't predict anything with these guys. I want Jason on that team but I don't want to wish ill on the top 2.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Because the haters spent all last off-season whinging and crying that he beat Abbott when he has "no artistry"?

Poor guy can't win. Tron and WSS - "no artistry, so boring, no second mark, blah blah blah". Samba and Carmen - "what's he doing why is he trying to do this stuff he should go back to Tron blah blah blah." UGH.

So pleased that I can FINALLY log back into GS and reply. I was going to do PBP too...I still could I suppose if anyone wants it because I hand-wrote my notes.

Jason - OH MY GOOOOOOOD he was so great! And so happy! :love:

I was so impressed with Josh. The Josh of two seasons ago would have wilted having to skate straight after Jeremy. But this Josh used the energy, and that tango looked more confident, more firey, and more intense than it has been all season. Just the details were so great - a little flick of the hand here, a flick of the head there. Taking out the quad was a smart move.

Max was also really awesome, though he had his little focus face on and not the happy smiley one until the end, which I miss :( And I love Max, but his PCS should never be higher than Josh's.

Favourite skate of the night? (after Josh and Jason) goes to LUKAS KAUGARS WHO WAS JUST INCREDIBLE. So light, so happy, so radiant. :love:

emma

Record Breaker
^I failed to mention Lukas earlier - he is La Vie en Rose guy, right? If so - oh yes, lovely and so nice to see him so happy too!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know. Jason has been consistent this season. I just want 2 consistent guys to go. We need 3 spots again!

Spots are earned at Worlds, not the Olympics. Too bad, because the US ladies would have earned three spots at Worlds in 2010 if they had finished like they did at the Olympics.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Jeremy absolutely deserved that score and he deserved to be that much ahead of Ricky. Ricky's jumps were flawless and he had good speed and attack, but Jeremy's program is on a whole other level. It's the best I've ever seen Jeremy skate a short and he is truly one of the greatest skaters ever when he is on. His quad triple combination tonight was just spectacular. Huge soaring exquisite jumps. and the intricacy of his program is truly great. I think he should beat Ricky on GOE for all the jumps and his skating skills are unmatched in the US. I'm just ecstatic for him.

Jason was amazing as always and I adore him!

Max was a lot better than he's been- a lot better. Two of his jumps were not landed beautifully and that hurt him. His interpretation was much improved, I thought.

I'm devastated for Rippon. Apparently he didn't speak to any media. The Ice Desk says they can't figure out why he took out the quad when putting it in both his short and long has made the difference for him this season. His lutz was stunning and his stretch, line, positions are exquisite. Brian Boitano just said on Ice Desk that he's been worried about Adam's Triple Axel technique for a while and he really needs it fixed. I thought it was looking better earlier in the season and that Rafael had helped, but maybe nerves got to him and he reverted to bad habits as far as the takeoff goes? I was worried before him before tonight because of his recent flu and Ashley's issues last night. As others have said, he's a lovely guy, sensitive and vulnerable, and we root for him because 1) he's a gorgeous skater and 2) he's a beautiful person.

I'm sad for Ross Miner too, but his poor performance was more expected than Rippon's since he hasn't been doing well this season and recently had an injury.

Really liked Josh Farris's performance and his generosity of spirit in congratulating Jeremy before he skated. He has great potential and is a cutie-pie!

The 2nd to last guy who skated the French program was adorable!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^I failed to mention Lukas earlier - he is La Vie en Rose guy, right? If so - oh yes, lovely and so nice to see him so happy too!

Yes, Lukas was La Vie En Rose and skated right after Max. He's adorable.

amc987

On the Ice
I am going to need to see the video receipts of this SP. Has anyone uploaded it yet? Fingers crossed that I won't have to listen to Michael Weiss drone on about modern skating.

I am THRILLED that Jeremy skated so well and that Dornbush finally did a decent program. I'm also pleased that Jason and Max skated clean programs. It's a bummer that Adam and Ross weren't at their bests tonight. Hopefully the top 6 will all skate well in the LP!

emma

Record Breaker
It actually looks like the judges were trying to boost Max's PCS--his score was just 2 point lower than Jason's. Not sure that was deserved.

Right, that doesn't feel correct. I'm happy for Max, but Jason was light years ahead, IMO, in all of the components. But, I'm just viewing from my computer (and without any training!), so that might change a lot of things.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
GS moved to new servers not too long ago in an attempt to prepare IIRC (this was after I left the mod squad)... I appreciate them not doing as FSU does and close the site down to only paying members... I know the admin was working as hard as they could on their end to get it up and running. It's not like they wanted it to go down, guys.

ghislaine

Rinkside
Because the haters spent all last off-season whinging and crying that he beat Abbott when he has "no artistry"?

Poor guy can't win. Tron and WSS - "no artistry, so boring, no second mark, blah blah blah". Samba and Carmen - "what's he doing why is he trying to do this stuff he should go back to Tron blah blah blah." UGH.

Please watch Max's feet. Please watch how he manuevers himself around a rink. His skating skills do not merit the scores they were getting. The programs he has been given this year are a failed attempt to hide his flaws by pushing him into the "classical" or "sophisticated" box, and they're not very good even at that, relying on the music rather than intricate choreographic details. He doesn't finish his movements properly or get low enough in his sit spins. Good jumper, good fight, but I have no idea what his coaching team was thinking when they blindly repackaged him as Artiste. He has chops as a theatrical character skater but his coaching team are making his issues even more glaring by forcing comparisons with Daisuke Takahashi while not bothering to make him drill his footwork, edgework, and movement details. He deserves better direction. A quad combination, good triple axle, 3Lutz done cleanly is nothing to sneeze at, and yet he's almost fourteen points behind the leader.

Jeremy was superb tonight. One thing I noticed that had been missing in previous performances of his SP was his fluidity. He uses his upper body very well. He never flails his arms. He involves his whole upper body, sometimes gently and looseley, sometimes with a snap. in previous performances he either wasn't using his upper body enough or holding himself stiffly.

I feel so bad for Adam. Bad jumps notwithstanding, his PCS should have been a bit higher. His spins are always so wonderful. Ross' jumps weren't there but he performed the program with real nuance and feeling. Jason skating in a later group might have broken 89 and it would have been well deserved. I'm not a Dornbush fan usually but he won me over. His jumps are buttery when he lands them.

Lukas was a pleasant surprise for me as well!