Senior Men SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Senior Men SP

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
LMFAO...

Jason Brown spread of Transition/Linking from 6.50 to 9.00

That's really good judging..................

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Because the haters spent all last off-season whinging and crying that he beat Abbott when he has "no artistry"?

Poor guy can't win. Tron and WSS - "no artistry, so boring, no second mark, blah blah blah". Samba and Carmen - "what's he doing why is he trying to do this stuff he should go back to Tron blah blah blah." UGH.

But there is a difference between 'finding better artistry' and totally going against your grain. I suppose I was one of them who complained about Max's win last year. But yeah, this program just was not him. You know who I thought did a good job of being a hockey guy trying to find 'artistry' was my favorite Elvis Stojko program. He skated to that Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman movie, something like "Far Out There" or "Away from Home", it was understated, Elvis wasn't in frills and he still did his choreography in a tasteful, Elvis-appropriate way. Too bad they couldn't figure out something better for Max.

ETA: The soundtrack was to "Far and Away". I'm mad at myself for being so stupid not to remember that. But I'll post his program. No it is not an artistic masterpiece but it showed what a hockey player type non-line, non-artsy skater could perfrom respectably. This is Elvis Stojko in 1993 (!!!!!): http://youtu.be/hycLqBXQK8s

He was not wearing pleather, he wasn't just shaking his fists or doing nothing karate moves. He almost showed he had a sense of music. I mean, hell, we don't ask THAT much of our hockey players turned figure skaters. Just TRY.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
But there is a difference between 'finding better artistry' and totally going against your grain. I suppose I was one of them who complained about Max's win last year. But yeah, this program just was not him. You know who I thought did a good job of being a hockey guy trying to find 'artistry' was my favorite Elvis Stojko program. He skated to that Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman movie, something like "Far Out There" or "Away from Home", it was understated, Elvis wasn't in frills and he still did his choreography in a tasteful, Elvis-appropriate way. Too bad they couldn't figure out something better for Max.

Speaking of Elvis Stojko, he was sitting in the section right behind me! Sort of wondering why he's not at Canadians....

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Jeremy's post-skate reaction <3

I do wish he'd cut his hair though. The more shaved-ish sides and the longer top look...odd. (This is not at all a comment on his skating though. Those jumps. That combo was massive.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

emma

Record Breaker
Speaking of Elvis Stojko, he was sitting in the section right behind me! Sort of wondering why he's not at Canadians....

Really??? How, weird and interesting. Mrs. P, hope you are enjoying and look forward to your comments!

emma

Record Breaker
I hope you get to see it, Tonichelle. Icky jumps, but he is so full of life and entertaining - has a great spirit!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Just saw this on Twitter:

Men FS draw just concluded & start order of final group of 6 is: Farris, Aaron, Rippon, Brown, Dornbush, Abbott.

So Rippon is in the final group. What do you guys make of this order and everyone's chances?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
It actually looks like the judges were trying to boost Max's PCS--his score was just 2 point lower than Jason's. Not sure that was deserved.

Wow, I completely agree. These PCS for Max are absurd! I think his interpretation and performance/execution tonight were quite strong and much better than they'd been, but how any judge could give him 8s for skating skills is beyond me. and a 9 for choreography?

amc987

On the Ice
Thanks to whoever posted the videos!! I am only 2 in and Michael Weiss's voice is already making me want to invest in earplugs. He talked all the way through Jason Brown's amazing performance with fanboying worse than Scott Hamilton's. Can someone either get him to contain his enthusiasm for the free or invent a way to watch programs with music on YouTube while muting the commentary? I would be eternally grateful.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I totally hear you, Tonichelle. and I can say that while it wasn't pretty, Keegan is adorable and impressed me a lot. I'd never seen him skate before.

I've been watching him skate locally and at the national level since he was 9 or 10 years old... very proud of his accomplishments. Just wish he could get a different choreographer or maybe even train outside (if only for a season!) there just isn't the technical (must less federation) support for skaters up here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Cool, Mrs. P. :cool:

"Stojko is covering both the Canadian and U.S. Championships for Yahoo Sports," according to an IN caption (to #14 in the Jan 10 Sarah and Drew blog photo gallery).

(Maybe he has cloned himself to be at two competitions at once??)