Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Thread: Senior Ladies SP

Custom Title
    They just showed Agnes Z. on TV. Oh, I feel so bad for this girl. They tell a bit about her life story, and the whole family has sacrificed to an unusual degree even for a skating family. They were immigrants, her father died when she was ten, everyone lives crammed into one home, the mom works as a nanny (translation: low salary), and every hope for the family rests on Agnes's success as a skater. What a tremendous burden that must be--and then for her to make a mistake. I know that shouldn't reflect on the scoring, but it is tremendously painful to watch.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    They just showed Agnes Z. on TV. Oh, I feel so bad for this girl. They tell a bit about her life story, and the whole family has sacrificed to an unusual degree even for a skating family. They were immigrants, her father died when she was ten, everyone lives crammed into one home, the mom works as a nanny (translation: low salary), and every hope for the family rests on Agnes's success as a skater. What a tremendous burden that must be--and then for her to make a mistake. I know that shouldn't reflect on the scoring, but it is tremendously painful to watch.
    They showed her starting to cry in the K&C and then blended to commercials, which started with sad dog's eyes and a 1 minute call for donations for mistreated animals. Those US TV channels really orchestrate every little detail perfectly!

Custom Title
    ^ Tell me about it. I was thinking the same thing. It was like... just when I really feel awful for Agnes they hit you with a close up of a shaking, malnourished puppy.

It's better than the fall though. At least this isn't the only commercial we have to put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I feel so bad for Agnes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ingofan1 View Post
    Mirai best days are behind her..She has not done anything in 4 years.i want Gracie,Ashley to go for sure they earned that 3rd spot for the Olympics.If Mirai is the 3rd person that is ok by me I just do not want to be placed over Gracie or Ashley.Mirai use to be my favorite skater and it sad that her time has passed.
    No one gets "placed" over anyone. They place where they place, based on the points they rack up.

Custom Title
    I too felt terrible for Agnes.

Nice to see Mirai skate so well again.

I like Gracie's new program...a much more mature, program...elegant, sensitive...a much different Gracie, & I'm glad to see she's growing as more of an artistic skater.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    I disagree that the 3rd spot won't contend. I think Mirai could, if others have faults and she skates clean without UR, she could sneak in for a bronze, or at least make a solid top 5-10 placement. Polina on the other hand would be going simply for the experience, her programs are too juniorish and she will be hammered on PCS at the Olympics. Maybe a top 10
    Placement if others falter but no chance at all for a medal. Mirai, even though chance may be very small, at least has some chance if there is a splatfest and she holds herself together. If she performs Saturday night she proves that she can get it together when it counts. We will see.
    Mirai isn't exactly racking in the PCS scores herself, and so if the Olympics is a splat fast, I'm failing to see how Mirai is more likely to do better than Polina. I'll give you Mirai is much more polished, but Polina actually has more technical ability. Polina has the highest TES in the free of any US woman internationally and that's with less elements.

Custom Title
    Well. I hope if Polina's medals they do not keep her off the team. She is old enough and should have her chance. I think she did a beautiful short and if anyone has bothered to watch her before this knows she has what it takes.

I don't think that discussions about who might do what at the Olympics are especially useful. Nationals #1, #2, and #3 will go. We will know in a couple of hours.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I wasn't really able to follow the GPs, but they said she split with coach in Russia? is that correct? what's going on??

On another note, I'm happy to see her skate so well, but something about the two spins that follow the opening and her affect for that part of the skate leave me cold; but the ending was great.

I do so appreciate Gao's skating - and her jumps looked really spectacular; very sorry about the footwork as the slips were jarring. But, I really liked this skate!
    The relationship w/ Mirai and her coach was beyond frosty. I was floored watching, and I know a number of folks commented on the dynamic (really, distant and cold - almost seeming as if they didn't know one another - is almost an understatement) and questioning what was going on or why she didn't find someone there was a better dynamic with...someone who seemed to not despise her, which was almost how the coach came across! It was honestly uncomfortable to watch.

Seeing some of the old Mirai back, it's hard not to wonder if getting away from that relational dynamic has been some degree of weight lifted of Mirai's shoulders!

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27