Senior Ladies SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies SP

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But that was because 1-2-4 were not age eligible (Nagasu, Flatt, Zhang); so the US sent 3rd (Wagner), 5th (Liang), and actually I believe WERE going to send 6th (Hacker) but she declined, so the spot went to 7th (Meissner).

That's not how I remember it. I recall that Meissner was chosen over Hacker--a no brainer, really, since Kimmie was a former WC. Here's what Wikipedia (I know, I know) says:

"At the 2008 U.S. Championships, she (Hacker) placed 6th, and was the third-highest-placing Worlds-age-eligible skater. Hacker was not selected for the World Championships in favor of former World Champion Kimmie Meissner,[4] but was selected to compete and made her senior international debut at the 2008 Four Continents, where she was the top finisher among the American ladies.

Ice Network said, "With their gold and silver medalists unavailable, the committee named bronze medalist Ashley Wagner; fifth-place finisher Bebe Liang; and 2006 world champion Kimberly Meissner, who placed a devastating seventh in Saint Paul, to the 2008 world team," and quoted Ron Hershberger, Pres. of USFS as saying, "That's the best team we can have for this year."

Chris_E

On the Ice
Let us all not forget that Evan placed third in 2010 and that didn't make a difference at the Olympics.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Wagner have a nice personality and a nice presentation but she have some difficulty to handle the pressure. I think that she could have done that triple/triple but she probably decide in her mind to not attempt it because she wants to play safe and be in the mix for the FS.

But, I think that if the top 3 : Gracie, Polina, Mirai makes great FS and better than Ashley, I think that they deserve to be in Sochi.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
IMO Ashley is the complete package and was quite underscored on a beautiful program - apart from the jump error. Gracie Gold's skate was clean, her jumps huge, but she looks like a junior at times - she doesn't finish off many of her elements & IMO she was overscored. Mirai: a joyous skate, fun to watch but somewhat sloppy and her loop was under-rotated. Gracie may win, but I'd say Ashley has more chance at the Olys.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Well what a time for my internet connection to go bonkers. Catching up, happy about Mirai ( so nice to see her smiling!), hope she skates a perfect long. Gold looks solid and Ashley will be fine I predict.Polina is full of energy and seems very good.
I will be nervous for the next few days, I can't begin to imagine how nervous the skaters are!! :popcorn:

ETA: I was surprised to see Rachel Flatt, I had no idea she was coming back.

alexeifan

On the Ice
So happy about Mirai. I've been rooting for her all these years. I think many times she was unfairly scored at Nationals and should have made worlds. Her layback spin is unmatched, really hoping she will be sent to the Olympics.

Ashley I thought was very sloppy and not just on the combo.

Was impressed with Polina, she jumps high and has so spunk to her, reminds me a little of Bauil. (a little, not a lot)

Also was impressed with Gracie, she reminded me a lot of Alissa's skating esp. the camel catch foot.

Looking forward to the long program, this is a lot more exciting than expected. I really wanted Mirai to do well and didn't think it was possible, so glad it is.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Both GG and Polina are crazy skinny. Polina has great consistency and was clean at JGPF with seven triples and two 3/3s, so I think she'll hold onto that third spot or maybe remain in second. I thought GG looked exquisite.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight

I noticed that too. I wonder if Frank Carroll encourages weight loss for the big competitions. I remember Michelle Kwan being very lean also when it came to Olympics and Worlds.

She looks significantly skinnier than she did at the last GP event. I should go rewatch that exhibition she skated to see how skinny she looks there.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Polina is a threat for the final spot :cry:

Polina had the benefit of skating last here in the SP, which boosted her PCS a bit, but she did skate a great program with pristine jumps and lots of spunk. It'll be interesting to see how she adjusts to a senior LP after skating on the junior circuit internationally. She has consistently put out clean LPs in the past though and her Peer Gynt LP is just gorgeous, so I'd say her chances are good. Mirai is more of a question mark. We'll have to see which Mirai shows up on Saturday and what shape she's in after training in Japan. As much as I love Mirai, I think I'd rather send Polina, who has a bright future ahead of her, whereas Mirai hasn't really been able to capitalize on her success in Vancouver and seems to be treading water at best.

Unfortunately, Christina's odds don't seem good as she'll be skating first in the final group and the judges will most definitely leave room for the later skaters. :cry:

LongTimeLurker

On the Ice
I was surprised when reminded that Mirai is only 20 years old! Theoretically, she could skate in the 2018 Olympics, as she would then be all of 24. Well, if her heart's in it. I hope so - I do enjoy watching her skate when she's enjoying it, too.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Some of these people are so annoying. Top 3 should go no mater what. Who is Ashley Wagner? She's not a world medalist. Doesn't have the same skill and consistency as the Russian stickfigure. If she doesn't place top 3 at US Nationals, I'm hard pressed to find an idiot who would call Wagner US #1? US #1 is supposed to be #1.

It's unfair to Mirai, Polina, and Gracie if Wagner is going.

And her situation isn't the same as Evan. Evan WON World, GPF, heavy favorite going in. This girl isn't even a favorite for the bronze.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Some of these people are so annoying. Top 3 should go no mater what. Who is Ashley Wagner? She's not a world medalist. Doesn't have the same skill and consistency as the Russian stickfigure. If she doesn't place top 3 at US Nationals, I'm hard pressed to find an idiot who would call Wagner US #1? US #1 is supposed to be #1.

And her situation isn't the same as Evan. Evan WON World, GPF, heavy favorite going in. This girl isn't even a favorite for the bronze.

I think the USFS is noticing this thus the mark difference for Gracie and Ashley
Wagner's stocks has fallen a bit since the GPF and they are better into pushing Gracie Gold, she is fresh, has big jumps and has media endorsements

LeCygne

Final Flight

Agree with all this. That's why I was pleasantly surprised that she was scored fairly for her SP with no significant PCS boost to hold her up or anything like that. I hope the same will go for Saturday. If she has a performance like last year's LP and others go clean, she should stay home. If this is the difference between 3-3 and no 3-3, it kind of makes you wonder how she got so far with no 3-3 until this season.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gold was a mess the past 2 seasons. They need a US #1, and her PCS kept on rising. When you look at Ashley, she's a good competitor, but she's still one of the second tier skaters. She doesn't have the it factor to be the top tier skaters.

Of the girls competing tonight, I would root for her to win US Nationals, but not with a bunch of mistakes and watered down contents and her LP is not good.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
first off, thank you mice for the live updates! Both for the ladies and for the pairs!
I couldn't stay here through all of it, but it was great to read through it now and feel like I saw them skate... well, almost! ;)
speaking of which, thanks for the yt links... I hope I'll get to see all / most of them.
- Gracie: wow. That score was huge. She had a great SP, and having her competitive debut with this new program here at nationals was a brilliant move since it allowed the judges to start from scratch without any previous reference in terms of points. Now, with those big jumps, they pretty much declared it a masterpiece and it might shift their pick on who they want to go to Sochi as the N°1 US...
It for sure should give Gracie the comforting safety net of knowing she's certainly through to Sochi, and has such a big lead over the others, so even if she misses a jump in the LP, she won't necessarily begin to stress out. Should increase her chances of a rather clean LP and she'll run away with it...
- Ashley: the opposite situation for the free... She'll be under a lot of stress... I hope she pulls it off. All her jumps seemed really low in comparison - even the 2A looked a bit short on rotation...
- Christina Gao: the freaking step sequence?!? Nooo! :cry: She got -1.4 GOE, so she lost almost 3 points for that. I can't wait to see it, but I already know my facepalm will hurt my forehead.
- Rachael Flatt: I'm impressed at her guts! At sectionals, she only had the T, S and Lo, didn't attempt the 3Lz or 3F in her FS at all, and here, she went for it. Too bad for popping her Lz, but the marks show that they had no intention of considering her whatsoever. Still, respect! :thumbsup:
Samantha Cesario: Layback level 1 with - GOE. Ouch.
OK, I'll tryand watch more yt vids now... Thanks for those linking and those ul'ing! :agree:

riceplate

On the Ice
Gracie certainly knows how to peak at the right time, but definitely don't write out Ashley yet. Considering the mixed performances Mirai, Gracie, and Ashley have put out this and last season I haven't a clue what they will be delivering in the free.

Predicts: Gracie, Ashley in the top 2 :p

Polina's debut ( can she keep the pace up in the free ? ):

http://youtu.be/h8smVJC-KNg
no commentary

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I have to say, Mirai was lowballed a bit on the PCS! She got some in the 5s and low 6s -- she did sell that presentation today quite well and her SS is always good.

You are absolutely right. She should have been above Edmunds. Edmunds is SO exciting and her jumps were fabulous, plus I think she can be truly great in a few years, but her program was juniorish. Mirai was fabulous tonight.