Senior Ladies SP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies SP

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I still cant believe cesario i so far down... i really thought and was hoping she would make the team.. she got hosed :/

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Agnes: I was shocked to see her scores. Even with the popped lutz and shaky axel, I expected her to score around 59 or 60 given how they've been scoring her the last few years. It's clear her love affair with the USFSA is over; they dumped her. She got 30.37 in PCS with a fall last year...this year they knock her down to 25. That was pretty shocking for her. I'm just glad Mirai delivered in her SP. If she'd have messed up like Agnes, she'd be right down there with her..
Agree: i just watched her, and I was very surprised by her score... We have to remember that last year the SP was THE SAME, and she skated it in a similar way yesterday: clean 3-3, one big mistake, this year she had also the small mistake in the 2A, but a 5 points difference for the same skater, the same program, a similar performance?! The GOE for the step sequence was surprisingly low, too, especially considering what the others received...

flying camel

Medalist
How did Cesario score a level one for her layback spin. You can't do that at this level.

Agnes skated how she skated at Nationals all season. The USFSA gave her every opportunity to get it together. Now they have other skaters to look to.

amc987

On the Ice
So enjoyed Polina Edmunds' performance. I've loved her skating all season long. Glad to see her knock it out of the park. Her FS is beautiful too. I would love it if she gets the third spot on the Olympic team (and I said that here on GS like a month ago). Who cares if she can't contend? No US #3 ladies skater is going to contend. It'll be a great experience and she can build on it for 2018, the way Sasha Cohen did after 2002 SLC for 2006. Yes, she's not as polished as an older ladies skater, but she has the jumps, spins, and solid SS/TR. She's the future and I hope she does well enough to go.

I also loved Hannah Miller's skate, in spite of the fall. She has jump issues but I love the choreography, spins, the speed, the fire, the musicality.

Gracie did very well. Technically she's amazing. I think she deserved all the +GOE on the spins that she got, but I think she was a bit generously overscored on +GOE for the jumps--the 3Lz/3T was landed and big but I didn't think there was all that much flow out of it. I'm not loving the program--it's ok, but I was more moved by her emotional reaction in the Kiss & Cry.

I thought Mirai also did surprisingly great. She had a fun performance. I wasn't quite as moved by it as others, but it was good.

Ashley was pretty tight and nervous, and she's lucky she didn't fall on that 3F because it looked off from the beginning. She held it together after that pretty well, but this SP really requires a lot of fire and sass and she just didn't have that today. Spins a lot slower than the other girls here and that footwork is not comparable to what the top ladies in the world can do. Overall, I'm not worried about her, I think she'll keep it together in the FS and move into the top 3.

Christina Gao is her own worst enemy. She nails all the jumps, even the 2A (a weak jump for her), and then she just got way too excited during the footwork and lost focus. Stumbling once is one thing, but stumbling again? Sad. I was cringing. Mood of the program was totally destroyed. You just can't do that in a competition that decides the Olympic team. Same for Agnes Zawadzki.

I agree with you that the 3rd US lady isn't going to contend. In fact, even the top US lady is going to have to get lucky to be on the podium at the Olympics. I don't think comparing Sasha Cohen in '02 and Polina in '14 makes sense. In 2002 the US had the strongest team in the world. All three of those ladies could've landed on the podium in Salt Lake and, as it was, they all placed in the top 4. The USFSA didn't send anyone in a developmental capacity- they sent three ladies who could win medals. IMO, Polina is way less polished now than Sasha was in '02. Her choreography is seriously lacking as is her PE and IN. She has good jumps and spins and a bit of sass but that's about it. And I don't know what you mean about her having good TR- she telegraphs her jumps from a mile away. No way she places in the top 10 if she goes to Sochi. Sending her now would be much more like sending Meissner and Emily Hughes in '06- skaters who are young, undeveloped, and have potential in the future, but are NOT serious medal threats.

I do think you hit the nail on the head with Gao. I finally saw her program and it was beautiful until the footwork sequence. For the life of me I don't understand why her marks for CH, PE and IN are below Gracie's. Hope she comes back in the long!

I think the team will be Gold, Wagner, and Gao. I have a sense that Edmunds will mess up. I also don't think Gracie will skate a clean LP, but her lead (gosh that score was too high) might keep her in first place. I think the judges won't be nearly as forgiving of Mirai's URs in the LP as they were last night.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Agree: i just watched her, and I was very surprised by her score... We have to remember that last year the SP was THE SAME, and she skated it in a similar way yesterday: clean 3-3, one big mistake, this year she had also the small mistake in the 2A, but a 5 points difference for the same skater, the same program, a similar performance?! The GOE for the step sequence was surprisingly low, too, especially considering what the others received...

What that amounts to is the USFSA sending a message. They are finished with her. To be honest, I don't think it'd have been such a huge shock if she hadn't been receiving such high scores in this event over the last few years. She got similar PCS at COC this year...but that was with a fall. To me, if feels like the USFSA is weeding out the garden so to speak. They know the future of the sport is with Gracie and Polina as well as a few newer girls so they're showing the holdovers the door...

Rachael and Caroline got the same message. And like I said, if Mirai had performed sub-par she'd have scored around 52 or 53 too....

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Gold skated really well, but her thinness is a bit scary!

Someone on twitter commented about that last night saying something like "Frank's got Gracie looking very thin."

She doesn't look unhealthy-thin to me, but she is thinner than I've ever seen her. It doesn't look like it's affecting her jumps or stamina so I guess it's okay...:eek:hwell:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agnes was marked as she should have been. A few skaters were probably overmarked in PCS, notably Gracie and Polina, but I don't have a problem with it because they actually skated great. I didn't like Agnes getting that PCS last year with a fall.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Agnes was marked as she should have been. A few skaters were probably overmarked in PCS, notably Gracie and Polina, but I don't have a problem with it because they actually skated great. I didn't like Agnes getting that PCS last year with a fall.

It just speaks to the shadiness of the judges. It seems like a huge blow b/c they've been overscoring her for the past few years and now that they've finally given her the marks she should get, it's like a punch in the stomach to her. They dropped her like a rock...

FlattFan

Match Penalty
95% of the girls competing would love to be dropped like a rock like Agnes.
That means they benefited from the elevated spot for a few years.

Imagine Caroline Zhang. She would give up anything if they have a love affair with her for 3 years.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I wondered what exactly happened with Caroline that she's skating without coaches. Did she break up with the Oppegards, or they with her? I thought the IN commentators should have at least made reference to Caroline being in the kiss 'n cry by herself.

Certainly USFS wish Caroline would go away with that score for her sp. I felt that Joelle Forte too was fairly low-balled for what she did which was more polished IMO than Francesca Chiera's skate, for which Chiera received 52.81. Based on scoring in general, I'd have had Forte at least around 52+ and Caroline at least 51+. Of course Caroline lacks good speed, but aside from the mistake on the second part of her combination, I thought Caroline skated very well and was not rewarded enough for what she did well, especially in view of Vanessa Lam coming directly after Caroline and making numerous errors as she rushed through her program, and still being placed ahead of Caroline.

ETA:
After the marks Caroline got, they really had to score Siraj low for her major mistakes (Siraj is someone who they thought so highly of and overscored last year at Nationals). Interesting to hear some in the crowd booing Rachael Flatt's marks. Yes, it was an elegant skate, but very slow and the huge mistake on the first jump. Plus Rachael's positions particularly on her layback aren't as aesthetically pleasing as Caroline's. Since they low-balled Caroline, it would have been an eyesore if Flatt had scored much higher than Zhang. Of course, there's no more love lost by USFS for Rachael (their former darling).

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Someone on twitter commented about that last night saying something like "Frank's got Gracie looking very thin."

She doesn't look unhealthy-thin to me, but she is thinner than I've ever seen her. It doesn't look like it's affecting her jumps or stamina so I guess it's okay...:eek:hwell:

I agree, while she looks NOTICEABLY skinnier than she did at the last GP event, she doesn't look unhealthy to me either.

I notice everyone mentions Frank - does he have a thing about thin skaters?

Art&Sport

Medalist
Was it a surprise to everyone that Michelle Kwan and Sjouke Dijkstra were going to be officially inducted into the World FS Hall of Fame during the women's event at U.S. Nationals? I hadn't heard about that. It was a nice and fitting tribute, plus great to see Michelle being honored there on the ice once again. :)

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Was it a surprise to everyone that Michelle Kwan and Sjouke Dijkstra were going to be officially inducted into the World FS Hall of Fame during the women's event at U.S. Nationals? I hadn't heard about that. It was a nice and fitting tribute, plus great to see Michelle being honored there on the ice once again. :)

Yeah, I didn't know that was happening. I was in the kitchen cooking and I heard the announcer say something about 57 perfect 6.0s and then he mentioned the 1998 nationals...I dropped what I was doing and ran into the living room. I loved the video tribute! It gave me chills...Michelle is such an icon in the sport and especially in US skating. I burned my chicken (forgot it was on the stove:eek:hwell:) but it was great to see her officially inducted into the world figure skating HOF. :bow::bow::bow:

noidont

Final Flight
Just watched some videos. Wow. PCS is batshit crazy all over the place. I thought even Rachael Flatt deserved higher PCS than Polina Edmunds. I love how USFSA gifts skaters for being "fresh faces". But then it isn't really a gift really, it is a "credit loan", so to speak.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Just watched some videos. Wow. PCS is batshit crazy all over the place. I thought even Rachael Flatt deserved higher PCS than Polina Edmunds. I love how USFSA gifts skaters for being "fresh faces". But then it isn't really a gift really, it is a "credit loan", so to speak.

Well, you better have good credit and maintain your credit history.
But in all, figure skating judging is probably the most inconsistent.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Here are Michelle and Sjouke Dijkstra at the ceremony (thanks to poster teach23 at the MK Forum).

https://twitter.com/BOS2014/status/421468407687819264/photo/1

Between them they have 8 world championships, 4 Olympic medals, and 14 national championships. (And 4 Europeans.). :)

Gosh, I wonder how many Europeans are from Michelle?!? ;)
I remember Sjoukje Dijkstra being guest co-commentator for German Eurosport during the 1995EC in Dortmund, GER. She was an absolute cracker, this typical funny and blunt grandma! :)

Here she is a few years younger.

Btw: I'm not kidding, did you know that Dick Button was the 1948 European Champion?!? :eek: Yup!