Senior Ladies SP | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies SP

Florentina

On the Ice
It's not so much about liking or disliking a skater--I dislike very few skaters, and appreciate the work of every skater. Of course they all have personality of some sort, but I'm talking about the public persona they project on ice and in interviews. These are where the casual audience get an opportunity to relate to the skater outside of what they put on the ice. The federation seems to often favor skaters who tend to come across rehearsed and bland in interviews over those with strong personalities--like Ashley, who is spunky and not afraid to speak her mind--and I think that is a shame. As much as I love the skating of Meryl and Charlie, for example, they are incredibly boring interviewees. If I hadn't seen them goofing around in the Shibsibs videos, I'd think they really are bland and boring outside the rink...

Fair. But I think most skaters come across that way because questions asked in post-performance interviews and press conferences are bland. I cannot count how often I've heard "What do you think about your performance?", "What is it like to perform in front of a home audience at Nationals?", "What do you think about your personal development as a skater in the past 2-3-4 years?", "Did you awesome skate come as a surprise to you?", "Are you disappointed by the mistakes you made?" and so on. It's hard to show your personality in such an interview. And it's exactly these interviews that will be broadcasted to the wider public. At least I doubt they'll show Social Scene type of interviews on National news. Sure you can show off your personality outside of this on Social Media and so on, and depending how controversial your statements are (or on how popular and accomplished a person you are) what you said may make the news. As far as the standard interviews are concerned I'm afraid it's more a fault of the ever-the-same questions.

RABID

Final Flight
Yu Na and Mao would both need to make major mistakes to even be challenged be a perfect Gold, and Gold is more inconsistent than they are. TBH in Russia Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova would beat her if they skate like Russian Nationals too (undeservedly IMO but home country boost) and Suzuki skating like Japanese Nationals probably would beat anything Gold could put out too.

As I have said previously, it isn't about YuNa making mistakes, it's about others having no chance if they make mistakes. A nuanced but vital point niggling at the minds of all skaters hoping to challenge in Sochi. YuNa is probably feeling the least pressure of all the ladies going into Sochi. I would have said the same for Mao as well but I am not as sure of that; her legacy might seem lacking to her still. Be that as it may, any lady hoping to dethrone YuNA is going require top level mental toughness.

macy

Record Breaker
Its a new day today guys! We have skaters with fire under their asses that want to make it happen after mistakes on Thursday and others who have the pressure on them to skate clean to stay in the top spots! Its going to be a new game tonight ;)

ks777

Record Breaker
I would hope not.

Tara Lipinski, for her age and technical arsenal, at least had exuberance on the ice that made up for lack of mature artistry.

Gracie Gold has none. With all her lovely arm movements, she still skates at the music. I would not want to see a stiff skater as Olympic champion again.

Maybe when she develops true artistry, sure.
I dont' see stiffness at all. I don't find yuna all that amazing with all the ugly positions she does.

emma

Record Breaker
NBC just stated that Mirai Nagasu is currently coachless. WHAT?!?! :eek:

I wasn't really able to follow the GPs, but they said she split with coach in Russia? is that correct? what's going on??

On another note, I'm happy to see her skate so well, but something about the two spins that follow the opening and her affect for that part of the skate leave me cold; but the ending was great.

I do so appreciate Gao's skating - and her jumps looked really spectacular; very sorry about the footwork as the slips were jarring. But, I really liked this skate!

nam57

Rinkside
What about Caroline Z? Where were her coaches? The low placed skaters used to be top...go back to your original coach. Rachel was so consistent with Tom Z, Caroline was good with? Miss Lee? Vanessa also had a top 6 SP and made JGPF. Mirai had success with Charlene Wong and Frank K. Grass is always greener and parents think coach waves a wand.

samson

Medalist
TERYY GANNON JUST SAID CONTROL YOUR OWN DESTINY!!!!!!

It's 1:57 here in LA. Too early to start drinking?? I feel like I'm supposed to take a shot.

sweetskates1

Medalist
In regards to Polina Edmunds - I do not think that we should send in our own version of Julia Lipnitskaia.... She is amazing, send her to Worlds but let the more mature skaters win and go to the Sochi 2014 Olympics.

They just showed Agnes Z. on TV. Oh, I feel so bad for this girl. They tell a bit about her life story, and the whole family has sacrificed to an unusual degree even for a skating family. They were immigrants, her father died when she was ten, everyone lives crammed into one home, the mom works as a nanny (translation: low salary), and every hope for the family rests on Agnes's success as a skater. What a tremendous burden that must be--and then for her to make a mistake. I know that shouldn't reflect on the scoring, but it is tremendously painful to watch.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
They just showed Agnes Z. on TV. Oh, I feel so bad for this girl. They tell a bit about her life story, and the whole family has sacrificed to an unusual degree even for a skating family. They were immigrants, her father died when she was ten, everyone lives crammed into one home, the mom works as a nanny (translation: low salary), and every hope for the family rests on Agnes's success as a skater. What a tremendous burden that must be--and then for her to make a mistake. I know that shouldn't reflect on the scoring, but it is tremendously painful to watch.

They showed her starting to cry in the K&C and then blended to commercials, which started with sad dog's eyes and a 1 minute call for donations for mistreated animals. Those US TV channels really orchestrate every little detail perfectly! :cry:

samson

Medalist
^ Tell me about it. I was thinking the same thing. It was like... just when I really feel awful for Agnes they hit you with a close up of a shaking, malnourished puppy.

It's better than the fall though. At least this isn't the only commercial we have to put up with.

ks777

Record Breaker
I feel so bad for Agnes.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai best days are behind her..She has not done anything in 4 years.i want Gracie,Ashley to go for sure they earned that 3rd spot for the Olympics.If Mirai is the 3rd person that is ok by me I just do not want to be placed over Gracie or Ashley.Mirai use to be my favorite skater and it sad that her time has passed.

No one gets "placed" over anyone. They place where they place, based on the points they rack up.

dardar1126

On the Ice
I too felt terrible for Agnes. :cry:

Nice to see Mirai skate so well again. :)

I like Gracie's new program...a much more mature, program...elegant, sensitive...a much different Gracie, & I'm glad to see she's growing as more of an artistic skater. :agree:

bekalc

Record Breaker
I disagree that the 3rd spot won't contend. I think Mirai could, if others have faults and she skates clean without UR, she could sneak in for a bronze, or at least make a solid top 5-10 placement. Polina on the other hand would be going simply for the experience, her programs are too juniorish and she will be hammered on PCS at the Olympics. Maybe a top 10
Placement if others falter but no chance at all for a medal. Mirai, even though chance may be very small, at least has some chance if there is a splatfest and she holds herself together. If she performs Saturday night she proves that she can get it together when it counts. We will see.

Mirai isn't exactly racking in the PCS scores herself, and so if the Olympics is a splat fast, I'm failing to see how Mirai is more likely to do better than Polina. I'll give you Mirai is much more polished, but Polina actually has more technical ability. Polina has the highest TES in the free of any US woman internationally and that's with less elements.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Well. I hope if Polina's medals they do not keep her off the team. She is old enough and should have her chance. I think she did a beautiful short and if anyone has bothered to watch her before this knows she has what it takes.

I don't think that discussions about who might do what at the Olympics are especially useful. Nationals #1, #2, and #3 will go. We will know in a couple of hours. :rock:

travelbug

Rinkside
I wasn't really able to follow the GPs, but they said she split with coach in Russia? is that correct? what's going on??

On another note, I'm happy to see her skate so well, but something about the two spins that follow the opening and her affect for that part of the skate leave me cold; but the ending was great.

I do so appreciate Gao's skating - and her jumps looked really spectacular; very sorry about the footwork as the slips were jarring. But, I really liked this skate!

The relationship w/ Mirai and her coach was beyond frosty. I was floored watching, and I know a number of folks commented on the dynamic (really, distant and cold - almost seeming as if they didn't know one another - is almost an understatement) and questioning what was going on or why she didn't find someone there was a better dynamic with...someone who seemed to not despise her, which was almost how the coach came across! It was honestly uncomfortable to watch.

Seeing some of the old Mirai back, it's hard not to wonder if getting away from that relational dynamic has been some degree of weight lifted of Mirai's shoulders!