Thread: Junior Ice Dance Free

Custom Title

Junior Ice Dance Free

Well the Junior Ice Dance Free is finishing up and we are officially at the TD Garden. There's a decent turnout for the Free Dance. Jean-Luc and Kaitlin have already skated and are in first with two teams left including Parsons and Parsons who were third in the SD.

Katilin and Jean-Luc had some trouble with their free dance, she fell on the twizzle sequence and it looks like their final choreographic lift had issues but I have to say, even with those mistakes I agree with keeping them ahead of McNamara and Carpenter who sit second right now. M/C were great but there's something about Hawayek and Baker that is really exciting to me. They have a natural chemistry on the ice and the flow and maturity they carry in their skating really stands out to me as something special.

It's great to see their free dance with better quality cameras, it really helps me appreciate what they have as a team. I also respect that even with the twizzle fall, which was really early on, they managed to stay focused and and looked like they really were pushing straight through the end, but then I think they might have lost some concentration right at the finale. I think had they gone clean they would have scored in the 90s here.

Now to see the Parsons.

Thanks for the info youre lucky to be there!

Thank you for your impressions, the score looked actually pretty high with two major mistakes... But I LOVE H/B FD so I think that I'll agree with you after watching the performance

Banned
    Free Dance and Overall Score http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...s/results.html

Mcnamar/Carpenter should have won, Hawayek / Baker wont last than one more season anyways with their height similarity
    why prop up a couple with no seniors future like Hawayek/ Baker ? their lifts should be given -GOE's
    McNamara / Carpenter are the heirs to Davis / White

1 11 Kaitlin Hawayek, Detroit SC
    Jean-Luc Baker, Seattle SC 1 65.30 1 86.96 152.26
    2 10 Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC
    Quinn Carpenter, Washington FSC 2 62.28 3 85.22 147.50
    3 14 Rachel Parsons, Washington FSC
    Michael Parsons, Washington FSC 3 59.32 2 86.46 145.78
    4 12 Holly Moore, Detroit SC
    Daniel Klaber, Detroit SC 4 56.71 4 79.95 136.66
    5 13 Elliana Pogrebinsky, Peninsula SC
    Ross Gudis, Washington FSC 5 53.62 5 75.88 129.50
    6 9 Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC
    Logan Bye, SC of New York 6 46.35 6 75.79 122.14
    7 7 Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington
    Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC 7 41.08 7 69.20 110.28
    8 4 Rachel Brozina, Philadelphia SC & HS
    Nicholas Taylor, Peninsula SC 11 37.67 8 64.71 102.38
    9 6 Sammi Wren, Peninsula SC
    Alexey Shchepetov, Philadelphia SC & HS 9 38.12 9 60.33 98.45
    10 5 Emily Day, Los Angeles FSC
    Kevin Leahy, Los Angeles FSC 8 38.39 10 57.58 95.97
    11 8 Olivia Di Iorio, Northern Ice SC
    Alex Benoit, Skokie Valley SC 10 38.01 13 53.61 91.62
    12 1 Tory Patsis, Skokie Valley SC
    Joseph Johnson, Broadmoor SC 13 37.44 11 53.69 91.13
    13 2 Marcha Kiatrungrit, Washington FSC
    Bradley Lawrence, Peninsula SC 12 37.47 14 53.26 90.73
    14 3 Kelsey Barnes, All Year FSC
    Douglas Stevenson, Rocky Mountain FSC 14 30.42 12 53.65 84.07

Custom Title
    I do have to say that Lorraine McNamara reminds me a bit of a much younger Meryl Davis. But they are the youngest team by far on the podium and will be the favorites next year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I do have to say that Lorraine McNamara reminds me a bit of a much younger Meryl Davis. But they are the youngest team by far on the podium and will be the favorites next year.
    Age Max limit for men has been lowered, they will be the only high profile couple returning to juniors next year
    indeed they will make a huge splash next season, they are indeed like a Mini Davis/White , they have great basics, great spins and skating skills.
    2018 will be their time

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Age Max limit for men has been lowered, they will be the only high profile couple returning to juniors next year
    indeed they will make a huge splash next season, they are indeed like a Mini Davis/White , they have great basics, great spins and skating skills.
    2018 will be their time
    Actually they will probably hit their peak in 2022. They will only be 25 and 22 so they could have a couple Olympics in them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Actually they will probably hit their peak in 2022. They will only be 25 and 22 so they could have a couple Olympics in them.
    probably but I have no doubt they have a great future ahead of them
    I can't say the same for the similar height Hawayek/Baker worthy of -GOE on all their lifts

We should all remember that the Shibs and Hubbel/Donohue are really young for the Ice Dance standards (will be 24/27 and 27/27 in 2018), so all these couples can probably dream of making the Olympic team/medaling in 2022...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    We should all remember that the Shibs and Hubbel/Donohue are really young for the Ice Dance standards (will be 24/27 and 27/27 in 2018), so all these couples can probably dream of making the Olympic team/medaling in 2022...
    Shibs and H/D are of lesser caliber compared to Mcnamara/Carpenter
    in terms of raw talent, potential and skills

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Hard to believe it's McNamara/Carpenter's FOURTH season at the Junior level at Nationals, given how young they are.

ETA: And with McNamara/Carpenter and Parsons/Parsons medalling, and counting the Pewter medal as the US does give one, WISA has 6 medals out of 16 for Ice Dance. (2 from Intermediate - Green/Green and Gunther/Wein, and 2 from Novice - Becker/Becker and Gropman/Somerville). Can't wait to see how some of these kids do at Seniors when they reach that point.

Custom Title
    The placements are what I expected. Too bad about H/B's mistake, though!

It's always funny to me how many people compare McNamara/Quinn to Meryl and Charlie since they've said Virtue and Moir are their skating idols.

On the Ice
    [QUOTE=Chemistry66;816216]Hard to believe it's McNamara/Carpenter's FOURTH season at the Junior level at Nationals, given how young they are.

I think there is a rule in Canada that you cant compete more than 3 years at one level with same partner. Nice that in US the can go into level early and stay to gain achievements

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Hard to believe it's McNamara/Carpenter's FOURTH season at the Junior level at Nationals, given how young they are.

I think there is a rule in Canada that you cant compete more than 3 years at one level with same partner. Nice that in US the can go into level early and stay to gain achievements
    Given the achievements of the WISA kids at these young ages, with the caveat that young success does not always equal older success, I can see them dominating for years. Whatever system they have going seems to be working.