Junior Ice Dance Free | Golden Skate

Junior Ice Dance Free

samson

Medalist
Well the Junior Ice Dance Free is finishing up and we are officially at the TD Garden. There's a decent turnout for the Free Dance. Jean-Luc and Kaitlin have already skated and are in first with two teams left including Parsons and Parsons who were third in the SD.

Katilin and Jean-Luc had some trouble with their free dance, she fell on the twizzle sequence and it looks like their final choreographic lift had issues but I have to say, even with those mistakes I agree with keeping them ahead of McNamara and Carpenter who sit second right now. M/C were great but there's something about Hawayek and Baker that is really exciting to me. They have a natural chemistry on the ice and the flow and maturity they carry in their skating really stands out to me as something special.

It's great to see their free dance with better quality cameras, it really helps me appreciate what they have as a team. I also respect that even with the twizzle fall, which was really early on, they managed to stay focused and and looked like they really were pushing straight through the end, but then I think they might have lost some concentration right at the finale. I think had they gone clean they would have scored in the 90s here.

Now to see the Parsons.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thank you for your impressions, the score looked actually pretty high with two major mistakes... But I LOVE H/B FD so I think that I'll agree with you after watching the performance ;)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Free Dance and Overall Score http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_us_fs_champs/results.html

Mcnamar/Carpenter should have won, Hawayek / Baker wont last than one more season anyways with their height similarity
why prop up a couple with no seniors future like Hawayek/ Baker ? their lifts should be given -GOE's
McNamara / Carpenter are the heirs to Davis / White

1 11 Kaitlin Hawayek, Detroit SC
Jean-Luc Baker, Seattle SC 1 65.30 1 86.96 152.26
2 10 Lorraine McNamara, Peninsula SC
Quinn Carpenter, Washington FSC 2 62.28 3 85.22 147.50
3 14 Rachel Parsons, Washington FSC
Michael Parsons, Washington FSC 3 59.32 2 86.46 145.78
4 12 Holly Moore, Detroit SC
Daniel Klaber, Detroit SC 4 56.71 4 79.95 136.66
5 13 Elliana Pogrebinsky, Peninsula SC
Ross Gudis, Washington FSC 5 53.62 5 75.88 129.50
6 9 Chloe Lewis, All Year FSC
Logan Bye, SC of New York 6 46.35 6 75.79 122.14
7 7 Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington
Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC 7 41.08 7 69.20 110.28
8 4 Rachel Brozina, Philadelphia SC & HS
Nicholas Taylor, Peninsula SC 11 37.67 8 64.71 102.38
9 6 Sammi Wren, Peninsula SC
Alexey Shchepetov, Philadelphia SC & HS 9 38.12 9 60.33 98.45
10 5 Emily Day, Los Angeles FSC
Kevin Leahy, Los Angeles FSC 8 38.39 10 57.58 95.97
11 8 Olivia Di Iorio, Northern Ice SC
Alex Benoit, Skokie Valley SC 10 38.01 13 53.61 91.62
12 1 Tory Patsis, Skokie Valley SC
Joseph Johnson, Broadmoor SC 13 37.44 11 53.69 91.13
13 2 Marcha Kiatrungrit, Washington FSC
Bradley Lawrence, Peninsula SC 12 37.47 14 53.26 90.73
14 3 Kelsey Barnes, All Year FSC
Douglas Stevenson, Rocky Mountain FSC 14 30.42 12 53.65 84.07

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do have to say that Lorraine McNamara reminds me a bit of a much younger Meryl Davis. But they are the youngest team by far on the podium and will be the favorites next year.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I do have to say that Lorraine McNamara reminds me a bit of a much younger Meryl Davis. But they are the youngest team by far on the podium and will be the favorites next year.

Age Max limit for men has been lowered, they will be the only high profile couple returning to juniors next year
indeed they will make a huge splash next season, they are indeed like a Mini Davis/White , they have great basics, great spins and skating skills.
2018 will be their time

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Age Max limit for men has been lowered, they will be the only high profile couple returning to juniors next year
indeed they will make a huge splash next season, they are indeed like a Mini Davis/White , they have great basics, great spins and skating skills.
2018 will be their time

Actually they will probably hit their peak in 2022. They will only be 25 and 22 so they could have a couple Olympics in them.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Actually they will probably hit their peak in 2022. They will only be 25 and 22 so they could have a couple Olympics in them.

probably but I have no doubt they have a great future ahead of them
I can't say the same for the similar height Hawayek/Baker worthy of -GOE on all their lifts

FSGMT

Record Breaker
We should all remember that the Shibs and Hubbel/Donohue are really young for the Ice Dance standards (will be 24/27 and 27/27 in 2018), so all these couples can probably dream of making the Olympic team/medaling in 2022...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
We should all remember that the Shibs and Hubbel/Donohue are really young for the Ice Dance standards (will be 24/27 and 27/27 in 2018), so all these couples can probably dream of making the Olympic team/medaling in 2022...

Shibs and H/D are of lesser caliber compared to Mcnamara/Carpenter
in terms of raw talent, potential and skills

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Hard to believe it's McNamara/Carpenter's FOURTH season at the Junior level at Nationals, given how young they are.

ETA: And with McNamara/Carpenter and Parsons/Parsons medalling, and counting the Pewter medal as the US does give one, WISA has 6 medals out of 16 for Ice Dance. (2 from Intermediate - Green/Green and Gunther/Wein, and 2 from Novice - Becker/Becker and Gropman/Somerville). Can't wait to see how some of these kids do at Seniors when they reach that point.

caitie

Medalist
The placements are what I expected. Too bad about H/B's mistake, though!

It's always funny to me how many people compare McNamara/Quinn to Meryl and Charlie since they've said Virtue and Moir are their skating idols.

Skatie

On the Ice
Hard to believe it's McNamara/Carpenter's FOURTH season at the Junior level at Nationals, given how young they are.

I think there is a rule in Canada that you cant compete more than 3 years at one level with same partner. Nice that in US the can go into level early and stay to gain achievements

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

I think there is a rule in Canada that you cant compete more than 3 years at one level with same partner. Nice that in US the can go into level early and stay to gain achievements

Given the achievements of the WISA kids at these young ages, with the caveat that young success does not always equal older success, I can see them dominating for years. Whatever system they have going seems to be working.