Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
What is wrong with you? Seriously? I feel like you'd be the type to kick a puppy on the street just because you didn't like its colour. You have nothing nice to say about any skater that isn't one of your uber-favourites... you deride Wagner for falling on her butt -- oh, and how's your precious Yuzuru's 4S coming along? :rolleye:

Fact: Ashley still has way more GP medals than Gold, has actual GOLD medals internationally (which Gracie hasn't earned), has the highest World ranking of the US women, and is so decorated that she's the only US woman who could get away with a 4th place finish and still go to Sochi because of how consistent she's been. The only thing Gold has over Ashley is a single US championship -- which is also her first win over Ashley in all of the meetings these two have had.

I'm really curious as to what your skating background is, as you strike me as a couch skater (or couch hater, if you will) -- the type who barely set foot on the ice as a kid, barely skates even recreationally as an adult (if your immaturity even lends us to calling you that), and certainly hasn't competed because otherwise you would have much greater respect for athletes who are trying their hardest to do something that is inherently very hard to begin with. You should be ashamed of yourself, but shame is clearly something you're incapable of because shame requires respecting oneself... which is hardly likely in your case, considering the disrespect you show towards others.

There's only one thing that's worn out, and that's your constant put-downs, broken record repetitive tripe about Ashley worn out/Sotnikova being a headcase/Tukt having weight issues/etc., and your general disdain for the world. Our sport is something that is supposed to be positive, and while criticism is welcome, there is absolutely no need for the crap you've been spewing. :rolleye:

When it comes to trollish types, the ignore option is your friend.

That's true and I don't mean to underestimate the pressure gold will face. I just meant that if she skates great and ends up 5th people won't see it as a failure but as evidence of her promise. Still, you're right it IS the Olympics and it will be hard for anyone not to get overwhelmed. That's one thought I've had about Ashley: she says going to the Olympics is icing on the cake and that nationals is more pressure. But she's never been to the Olympics. She can't know what it will be like to skate at such a huge global event until she gets there. The media glare will be tremendous. Worlds isn't the same.

I also fear that Ashley will be getting a lot of uncomfortable questions from the press at the Olympics about the controversy at Nationals. Are press conferences mandatory for athletes at the Olympics? I believe sports federations require attendance at media events or the athlete could be fined or penalized in some way - but I don't know about the IOC.

Ah yes, leaving Twitter. Infallibly compelling evidence. :rolleye:

No one said that it is infallible evidence - but it's awfully strong circumstantial evidence considering...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think leaving Twitter instead of staying and being flamed is an example of her letting the haters get to her. It's probably her taking a break from social media to focus on Sochi.

And taking pleasure in the fact that she's left Twitter and suggesting that it's the haters getting to her (essentially a win for the haters) is pretty deplorable in itself. What people have against this girl, particularly when it's the USFSA decision, I have no idea.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't think leaving Twitter instead of staying and being flamed is an example of her letting the haters get to her. It's probably her taking a break from social media to focus on Sochi.

you didnt read her comment ?
she knows about the environment of the Mirai scandal, and she has been one of thr targeted in the net and forums

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
you didnt read her comment ?
she knows about the environment of the Mirai scandal, and she has been one of thr targeted in the net and forums

Is it a coincidence that Gracie took herself off of social media such as Twitter and did much better as a result? Frank was smart to get her to do one thing and that was concentrate on her skating and Nationals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can just imagine some of the trolls wishing Gracie/Ashley/whoever to crash and burn even BEFORE Nationals. Makes sense that Gracie took herself off social media and just concentrated on training. I hope the ladies stay away through the end of the season.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

And taking pleasure in the fact that she's left Twitter and suggesting that it's the haters getting to her (essentially a win for the haters) is pretty deplorable in itself. What people have against this girl, particularly when it's the USFSA decision, I have no idea.

Ashley read some hateful tweets unfortunately. That is why she decided to get off of twitter and other social media. I can't imagine why you would think that the reason is something so bland as to just 'take a break'. Let's keep it real.

louisa05

Final Flight
I can just imagine some of the trolls wishing Gracie/Ashley/whoever to crash and burn even BEFORE Nationals. Makes sense that Gracie took herself off social media and just concentrated on training. I hope the ladies stay away through the end of the season.

I think people forget that these are real people with feelings. That is true of any and all people in the public eye. Just look at how we have adopted the word "real" to mean "not famous"--it allows us to think it is okay to trash public figures openly even directly such as via Twitter. After all, they are not "real".

Honestly, I think right now, Ashley is in a better place. She is quietly training. Gracie is juggling on Leno. Not winning and shutting off the internet is giving Ashley fewer distractions for the next three weeks.

desertskates

Medalist
Ashley drinking wine-----and I believed that article that said she was living off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.:laugh:

Up next: Ashley had some wine after a devastating evening---does she belong in rehab instead of Sochi??? Story at 10 :laugh: Seriously the whole thing is ridiculous. Nationals is in the books, over, dunzo. I hope all the ladies skate their best and get the results they'd hoped for.

coppertop1

On the Ice
After reading the comments just on her Facebook page alone, no wonder she chose to stay offline. People need to realize Ashley did not make the decision herself, the USFSA did and hating on Ashley and wishing her ill won't change it or make Mirai the one going. There is no right answer, no matter what the choice, someone will be disappointed. The USFSA felt Ashley deserved to go based on her performances this season. One bad performance does not mean you're doomed, Todd Eldredge and Jeff Buttle both won their world title after losing the national title. A good showing at nationals doesn't mean you're going to do well. It's not about race, conspiracy theories, it's about who has had the best results throughout the season, and that's Ashley. If Mirai had Ashley's result, and Ashley had Mirai's results, then Mirai probably would be going. This is not the first time this has happened, in 1998, the Russians sent Irina Slutskaya, who like Ashley, finished fourth at her nationals, over Julia Soldatova, who was second at Russian nationals, to go to the Olympics and Worlds. These skaters work hard and should not be the subject of people's hatred for a decision they had no control over.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Now that Europeans are over, we can tell that Ashley Wagner's chances of a medal are nil. Before Euros there were doubts that Julia and Adelina would get this kind of PCS but in Sochi they might even crack 70. As if their TES advantage over Ashley wasn't enough.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Makes sense that Gracie took herself off social media and just concentrated on training. I hope the ladies stay away through the end of the season.

... Not winning and shutting off the internet is giving Ashley fewer distractions for the next three weeks.

Wagner did tweet again on Jan 15.

Although Gold took a brief hiatus from Twitter, it ended well before Nationals.
She has sent ZILLIONS of tweets in recent days. Some have been replies to tweets from others, and some have been retweets. But PLENTY of them have originated with her.

(As an aside, @CarlyCGold had made her own Twitter account private for a while. But Carly has gone public again.)

RABID

Final Flight
Ashley read some hateful tweets unfortunately. That is why she decided to get off of twitter and other social media. I can't imagine why you would think that the reason is something so bland as to just 'take a break'. Let's keep it real.

I know what you mean; there has been this ugly narrative going on that is ignorant and completely misses the point; Ashley is the undeserving white princess and Mirai is the spit upon Asian. At least here people argue the merits of one over the other using the respective records and reputations of each other or the deficiencies of the process. Peeves me off that people who could care less about figure skating and know squat about it smugly think they know everything they they need to know and then tell me what is "REALLY" going on. :bang:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
The US Federation is in delusion if they think Ashley can come anywhere near the podium. 0% chance at this point.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's tempting to write Wagner (and others) off, but if history is any indication - you never know, really.

Ven

Match Penalty
Ashley is the undeserving white princess and Mirai is the spit upon Asian.

As much as I've defended Mirai should be on the team, I think this is ridiculous. There's nothing racist about the decision. The all-time favorite U.S. skater in the last 30-40 years is Michelle Kwan, hello!!

Ven

Match Penalty
It's tempting to write Wagner (and others) off, but if history is any indication - you never know, really.

Literally anything can happen and often does. But the odds are like 99% Ashley Wagner is done.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
To be frank, the way Julia is skating right now coupled with Kim and Asada, I think the podium is locked.
The only three that can sneak past Julia at this point are Akiko, Adelina, and Carolina.

The rest has 0% chance.

Icey

Record Breaker
Up next: Ashley had some wine after a devastating evening---does she belong in rehab instead of Sochi??? Story at 10 :laugh: Seriously the whole thing is ridiculous. Nationals is in the books, over, dunzo. I hope all the ladies skate their best and get the results they'd hoped for.
OR
The Real Reason Ashley Bombed at Nationals. What happened to Ashley is a cautionary tale for other skaters as to what can happen when expectations aren't met.

anthologyz

Rinkside
judging by julia and adelina's stellar performances at europeans, they're going to have to bomb, other favorites falter, and ashley have the skate of her life in order for a podium finish to happen.