Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Ashley can come in third at the GPF, shouldn't she be able to come in at least third at US Nationals? And at the GPF, she beat the younger and better-than-Polina Russian wunderkind Elena Radionova.

mhu714

On the Ice
To this point, Ashley has proven herself much more (nationally and internationally) than Gracie. It's obvious Gracie would get the most points if she skates clean programs; the problem is that no one in the US has done that since MK left the scene. Never saw Polina until the other day, and she's just 15 so she's just a wild card at this point (tho I'd be happy if she got the 3rd Oly spot). I predict Mirai will falter tonight, and if hx (tho it's a short hx) is any guide, so will Gracie (though I'm praying she skates her long like she did last yr). I love Ashley, and think the judges definitely like her PCS more than anyone else but she better not have a shaky long or she might blow her Oly spot. My best guess is she makes a few minor errors but does her 3/3 and gets at least 2nd. If she skates solidly and gets 130 points she'll prob win fairly easily (unless Gracie skates 2 clean programs for the first time as a senior). It truly would be fascinating (if extremely unlikely) if all of the top 4 skate a clean program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Ashley can come in third at the GPF, shouldn't she be able to come in at least third at US Nationals? And at the GPF, she beat the younger and better-than-Polina Russian wunderkind Elena Radionova.

People are over-reacting. Ashley made a mistake. Mirai/Polina/Gracie skated clean. Hence, she's 4th.

Here's hoping she has a good long program! Hopefully Gracie and whoever places 3rd have strong long programs too - the US needs a solid team! :)

Laybackspin

Rinkside
I don't know if this was mentioned before or if it's obvious or anything but if ashley doesn't make the top 3, will she still be put on the team? Are her achievements great enough to overlook a bad skate?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if this was mentioned before or if it's obvious or anything but if ashley doesn't make the top 3, will she still be put on the team? Are her achievements great enough to overlook a bad skate?

I can't see them kicking Edmunds off the team if she finishes a strong 2nd. She deserves it as far as i'm concerned.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

It's highly likely she will be, or will get a second chance at 4CC or something. It would be nuts to not send the GPF bronze medalist who is loved by international judges. I don't think we will have to worry about that though as Wagner with even a decent skate should beat Mirai/Polina, unless the latter skates lights out.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's highly likely she will be, or will get a second chance at 4CC or something. It would be nuts to not send the GPF bronze medalist who is loved by international judges. I don't think we will have to worry about that though as Wagner with even a decent skate should beat Mirai/Polina, unless the latter skates lights out.

loved by international judges ? her PCS got almost tied with Sotnikova
if anything its Gracie and Sotnikova who will outscore her in PCS very very soon internationally

mhu714

On the Ice
I think USFSA has the ability to place whoever they want on the team, tho they almost always go by the actual results.

Laybackspin

Rinkside
If gracie, polina and mirai maintain their top 3 positions. I don't think it will be a good idea to send polina since (assuming she skips four continents which almost everyone will) the Olympics will be her first international senior competition (if I'm not mistaken). I think she's extremely talented but a 15 year old fresh out of juniors is not the best bet for the Olympics.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
If gracie, polina and mirai maintain their top 3 positions. I don't think it will be a good idea to send polina since (assuming she skips four continents which almost everyone will) the Olympics will be her first international senior competition (if I'm not mistaken). I think she's extremely talented but a 15 year old fresh out of juniors is not the best bet for the Olympics.

In 2002, SLC Olympic Games were Sasha Cohen FIRST International senior big competition, and no one ever doubted she was a right choice, since she earned her spot. Unless something tragic happens to one skater (i.e. Nancy Kerrigan's knee attack in '94), I do not agree with providing courtesy unapologetic passes, based on the reputation of certain skaters (i.e. Michelle Kwan in '06), leaving those who earned their spot after competing in all fairness (usually 'youngsters' with little to none international experience) abrupt an indecently out of the map.

burntBREAD

Medalist
In 2002, SLC Olympic Games were Sasha Cohen FIRST International senior competition, and no one ever doubted she was a right choice, since she earned her spot. Unless something tragic happens to one skater (i.e. Nancy Kerrigan's knee attack in '94), I do not agree with providing courtesy unapologetic passes, based on the reputation of certain skaters (i.e. Michelle Kwan in '06), leaving those who earned their spot after competing in all fairness (usually 'youngsters' with little to none international experience) abrupt an indecently out of the map.

(Oops, I guess my previous post didn't go through bc of the traffic on this site)

Sasha Cohen skated two seasons' worth of international senior events in both 2000-01 and 2001-02. So the Olympics were NOT her first international senior competition -- maybe the first big one, but she had competed in a bunch of GPs (like Lalique, Cup of Russia, Skate America, etc.) before that.

RABID

Final Flight

Why? An argument could be made for the complete opposite conclusion. Someone with Polina's attributes would benefit highly competing against YuNa and Carolina especially. She'll never get that chance again if she doesn't go to Sochi. Worlds will be a pale imitation of what a high caliber competition looks like.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

If that's the finishing order (Gracie, Polina, and Mirai) why should Mirai go ahead of Polina? IMO, if Ashley doesn't medal whoever the bronze medalist is should be bumped.

Gigi13

On the Ice
If that's the finishing order (Gracie, Polina, and Mirai) why should Mirai go ahead of Polina? IMO, if Ashley doesn't medal whoever the bronze medalist is should be bumped.
Well, we should wait for the free program to see if Gracie, Polina, and Mirai can secure their spots if it's a splatfest then Ashley can make on the podium but we'll just have to wait to find out what happens...I agree though if the top 3 are Gracie, Polina, Mirai then the bronze should be bumped even though it would devastating if that happens.

Icey

Record Breaker

Her international debut was at the Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy, where she won gold; however, even there she competed as a junior level skater.

Icey

Record Breaker
well, ashely is going to have a long wait after she skates before she knows where the cards fall. I can't see them leaving her off the team, but something seems afoot and I don't think it is in Ashley's favor. I would hate to see all that living off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches be for nought. Behind the smile, I think you can see fear in Ashley's eyes that she might not make the team. Things like that can only harm her.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
watching Wagner's FS, she is indeed worn out,
her chances of a medal are nil, Alissa Czisny anyone ?
she will be an embarrassment if she is sent to the Olympics

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
watching Wagner's FS, she is indeed worn out,
her chances of a medal are nil, Alissa Czisny anyone ?
she will be an embarrassment if she is sent to the Olympics

You are so nasty but at least you are consistent.