Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 152

Thread: Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals

  1. #31
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's no secret that Gracie's potential is higher than Ashley's, but in this sport potential counts for nothing if you can't deliver when it's go-time. No one is questioning whether or not Gracie should be #1 b/c she should...but she has to earn it. She hasn't done anything yet! Ashley has kicked her butt consistently over the last two seasons. One clean SP from Gracie does not erase the last 3 years of success Ashley's had.

    Very simply put: "If you want it, come get it"
    No I didn't say she already got it, I said just that she CAN do it on this nationals. If she'll win LP there's no doubt who will be considered as #1 in Sochi by judges. Whether you like it or not

    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    I think this is about completely failed LP's with 70 points in PCS.

  2. #32
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13
    I don't think a lot of people will agree with me on this, but ill voice my opinion anyway. I have been a fan of Ashley's for a while and I have seen her deal with disappointment and happiness after a good or bad performance. That being said, I would be lying if I said a part of me didn't feel like she did that on purpose. Having 2 of the top 3 go before her, and seeing their results, I think she knew that Gracie has given up her top place before due to crumbling under immense pressure before and mirai somewhat did too last year. After watching her performance, I realized that she didn't look near as disappointed as she should have, having messed up her sp on an Olympic year. She even said she was happy with her placement after. I think that she knows she can't beat Gracie on pure talent, so she'll grab that top spot out from under her when/if she crumbles. Again, just voicing my opinion based on pure gut feeling and observation.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Laybackspin View Post
    I don't think a lot of people will agree with me on this, but ill voice my opinion anyway. I have been a fan of Ashley's for a while and I have seen her deal with disappointment and happiness after a good or bad performance. That being said, I would be lying if I said a part of me didn't feel like she did that on purpose. Having 2 of the top 3 go before her, and seeing their results, I think she knew that Gracie has given up her top place before due to crumbling under immense pressure before and mirai somewhat did too last year. After watching her performance, I realized that she didn't look near as disappointed as she should have, having messed up her sp on an Olympic year. She even said she was happy with her placement after. I think that she knows she can't beat Gracie on pure talent, so she'll grab that top spot out from under her when/if she crumbles. Again, just voicing my opinion based on pure gut feeling and observation.
    Doesn't say much for being a champion skater if you need to have your competitor crumble so you can move up to win.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,921
    I suspect that now Ashley is going to try too hard in the long and , probably, falter. Layback, if what you say is true, she sure is taking quite a gamble. I think Polina is going to be the surprise winner, with two 3/3's in her long. Gracie is probably more worried about her than she is about Ashley.

  5. #35
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,584
    Please, let her skate before the post mortems. Ashley is a talented fighter with a great LP, the best one we will see tomorrow.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I suspect that now Ashley is going to try too hard in the long and , probably, falter. Layback, if what you say is true, she sure is taking quite a gamble. I think Polina is going to be the surprise winner, with two 3/3's in her long. Gracie is probably more worried about her than she is about Ashley.
    I wouldnt be surprised if she finished 4th overall after the LP
    she will be in intense pressure to retain her No.1 rank that has been shifted now to Gracie, and the USFS support for Gracie could be intimidating for Wagner
    her two footed or lack of 3-2 or 3-3 will be her downfall

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    201
    I think we need to wait and see what happens in the LP tonight. My sense is that Diva Wagner will show up in all her glory. I don't know whether she'll win- it's difficult to know given Gracie's lead- but I can't imagine she won't make a strong case for being on the Olympic team. My guess is that the SP golden girls, Gracie and Polina, won't do as well tonight as they did on Thursday. I bet there will be a shake-up in the standings and at least one skater not currently in the top 3 will end up on the team.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    I think we need to wait and see what happens in the LP tonight. My sense is that Diva Wagner will show up in all her glory. I don't know whether she'll win- it's difficult to know given Gracie's lead- but I can't imagine she won't make a strong case for being on the Olympic team. My guess is that the SP golden girls, Gracie and Polina, won't do as well tonight as they did on Thursday. I bet there will be a shake-up in the standings and at least one skater not currently in the top 3 will end up on the team.
    well there is new Diva in town and has the backing of the USFS full time
    and its not Wagner

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    I remember Dick Button use to say that US Nationals was the hardest competition of the season for most skaters because you are competing against your peers. I think this is the case for Ashley.

    I'm very worried she will stay in fourth. If the girls in front nail there programs they have more technical difficulty. I'm not sure she came make up enough ground in component scoring. It's going to be a long day for me.

  10. #40
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,081
    Welcome, Laybackspin. Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long!

    However… No, I don't think Ashley (or any skater) would deliberately mess up to try to psych out the other guy.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,236
    If Ashley can come in third at the GPF, shouldn't she be able to come in at least third at US Nationals? And at the GPF, she beat the younger and better-than-Polina Russian wunderkind Elena Radionova.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    112
    To this point, Ashley has proven herself much more (nationally and internationally) than Gracie. It's obvious Gracie would get the most points if she skates clean programs; the problem is that no one in the US has done that since MK left the scene. Never saw Polina until the other day, and she's just 15 so she's just a wild card at this point (tho I'd be happy if she got the 3rd Oly spot). I predict Mirai will falter tonight, and if hx (tho it's a short hx) is any guide, so will Gracie (though I'm praying she skates her long like she did last yr). I love Ashley, and think the judges definitely like her PCS more than anyone else but she better not have a shaky long or she might blow her Oly spot. My best guess is she makes a few minor errors but does her 3/3 and gets at least 2nd. If she skates solidly and gets 130 points she'll prob win fairly easily (unless Gracie skates 2 clean programs for the first time as a senior). It truly would be fascinating (if extremely unlikely) if all of the top 4 skate a clean program.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,860
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    If Ashley can come in third at the GPF, shouldn't she be able to come in at least third at US Nationals? And at the GPF, she beat the younger and better-than-Polina Russian wunderkind Elena Radionova.
    People are over-reacting. Ashley made a mistake. Mirai/Polina/Gracie skated clean. Hence, she's 4th.

    Here's hoping she has a good long program! Hopefully Gracie and whoever places 3rd have strong long programs too - the US needs a solid team!

  14. #44
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13
    I don't know if this was mentioned before or if it's obvious or anything but if ashley doesn't make the top 3, will she still be put on the team? Are her achievements great enough to overlook a bad skate?

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Laybackspin View Post
    I don't know if this was mentioned before or if it's obvious or anything but if ashley doesn't make the top 3, will she still be put on the team? Are her achievements great enough to overlook a bad skate?
    I can't see them kicking Edmunds off the team if she finishes a strong 2nd. She deserves it as far as i'm concerned.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •