Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    After Ashley wasn't held up in PCS to help her on to the podium I knew that the USFSA would throw her a bone by naming her to the Olympic and World teams - but they are firmly behind Gold now for Sochi imo. Ashley's chances of medalling now at the Olympics are about as good as mine are. Gracie is the new U.S. ice princess and it is she the USFSA will be politicking for at Sochi.
    Yet another reason she should not be on the plane to Sochi.

Custom Title
    Ashely is going to Sochi with so much baggage that I don't think she will be able to over come. Hopefully, she won't give a performance like czisny did at her last worlds, but I won't be surprised if she does. She needs to drop the 3/3. It really is hard to understand what happened.

Custom Title
    I think her boots causing blisters if that is indeed true had to cause even more anxiety. Talk about horrible timing. Boot problems are a nightmare for skaters. Kevin Reynolds lost almost of all this season with boot issues. But i think what happened in 2010 started to creep into her head also and it made her jittery.

Down With It
    I say it heavily depends on whether she can overcome such a setback...in such a short amount of time.

And yes, Gold has a chance at a medal...but she must deliver. She has crumbled even more spectacularly than Wagner under pressure before, so it's a toss up...

Custom Title
    Hate tweets force U.S. figure skater Ashley Wagner off social media until after Olympics
    [url]http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/14/4750865/hate-tweets-force-us-figure-skater.html[/url]
    She became the skater that people started to hate over the weekend after she was shockingly named to the U.S. Olympic team. Now Ashley Wagner has sworn off social media until after the Olympics to avoid any more firestorm.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Ashely is going to Sochi with so much baggage that I don't think she will be able to over come. Hopefully, she won't give a performance like czisny did at her last worlds, but I won't be surprised if she does. She needs to drop the 3/3. It really is hard to understand what happened.
    How much you think the airline will charge for all that baggage? :-D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    Hate tweets force U.S. figure skater Ashley Wagner off social media until after Olympics
    [url]http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/14/4750865/hate-tweets-force-us-figure-skater.html[/url]
    now imagine the pressure she will have once Wagner is on the ice rink in Sochi
    that wont turn to out to be a happy ending at all

Quote Originally Posted by Red Helicopter View Post
    No I didn't say she already got it, I said just that she CAN do it on this nationals. If she'll win LP there's no doubt who will be considered as #1 in Sochi by judges. Whether you like it or not

I think this is about completely failed LP's with 70 points in PCS.
    Sorry but this theory doesn't hold water. Ever heard of Paul Wylie, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Alexei Yagudin, and Evan Lysacek to name just a few? None of them were their countrie's #1 going into their respective Olympics and it didn't hurt them any. All made the Olympic podium, placing ahead of their teammates who ranked above them domestically. I would throw someone like Mirai Nagasu in there too. She had never competed at a Worlds heading to Vancouver yet placed 4th, well ahead of her 7th ranked teammate Rachael Flatt - the National Champion.

At the Olympics, for the most part I don't think the judges give a hoot what happened at home - Wylie being the best example imo. He had never even made a Worlds podium and had imploded constantly throughout his career - but the Olympic judges didn't hold that against him. That being said, if everyone hits in Sochi, whether they make the podium or not, I think that Gracie is going to be the top-ranked American - she's just that much better than her teammates and has improved massively since last year especially artistically. She's no ballerina but she's not marching and windmilling her arms anymore.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post

At the Olympics, for the most part I don't think the judges give a hoot what happened at home - Wylie being the best example imo. He had never even made a Worlds podium and had imploded constantly throughout his career - but the Olympic judges didn't hold that against him. That being said, if everyone hits in Sochi, whether they make the podium or not, I think that Gracie is going to be the top-ranked American - she's just that much better than her teammates and has improved massively since last year especially artistically. She's no ballerina but she's not marching and windmilling her arms anymore.
    oh it will, this news hit the international news, Judges knew what happened at US Nationals with the Mirai-Wagner issue
    you'll see Wagner's PCS hit the dump in contrast to Gracie's whose PCS will skyrocket

On the Ice
    Not sure where you guys are, but the story is on all the major networks here in NY.

Custom Title
    So sad...I think Ashley will find it hard to medal but it is not impossible. She will have the pressure and emotional baggage with what has happened THe media and the public are powerful. This could have gone undetected but now that everyone has dramatized it well I am not sure anyone is the winner. The USFSA is decimated. A lot wrongfully blame Ashley for the decision but she made her own bedby not competing well. Mirai is going to get a lot of s ympathy but also some who just got fed up with her - waiting for her to peak abut goign nowhere for so long. What is lost is Mirai didn't skate all that brilliantly at nationals and has had a long lull and has fallen well short of what was anticipated after her fourth place finish at 2010 olympics and leading worlds in 2010 before her fall from grace (didn't she almost have it all) so to speak.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I just wonder what kind of cretin would bash any young woman over a decision she did not make. I hope she takes her computer, phone, Ipad, etc... and chucks them into the ocean.

I meant to quote Taan on the twitter issue.
    Last edited by desertskates; 01-14-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: ETA

Custom Title
    Russian Press Gives Olympic Ice Skater an Original Smear
    [url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-kiem/russian-press-gives-olymp_b_4592445.html?utm_hp_ref=sports&ir=Sports[/url]
    "Pro-gay American Figure Skater Dragged to Sochi," read the headline on RBC Holding, a media conglomerate. Without actually accusing the judges of promoting a human rights agenda over fair play, the article calls the unprecedented nature of Wagner's selection "not according to sport principal," and reveals that Wagner spent the evening after her poor showing at the national championships "drinking wine and watching movies".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    Russian Press Gives Olympic Ice Skater an Original Smear
    [url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-kiem/russian-press-gives-olymp_b_4592445.html?utm_hp_ref=sports&ir=Sports[/url]
    the right time for the Rus Fed, wrong time for Wagner
    its 0% medal chance, goodbye medal for Ashley

she only has herself to blame, I don't think Karma wa the only reason

Custom Title
    wow, media backlash starts in Russia, too?
    I guess her PCS will drop like a rock in Sochi.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast