Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 152

Thread: Ashley Wagner's chance of an Olympics Medal after Nationals

  1. #106
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    What is wrong with you? Seriously? I feel like you'd be the type to kick a puppy on the street just because you didn't like its colour. You have nothing nice to say about any skater that isn't one of your uber-favourites... you deride Wagner for falling on her butt -- oh, and how's your precious Yuzuru's 4S coming along?

    Fact: Ashley still has way more GP medals than Gold, has actual GOLD medals internationally (which Gracie hasn't earned), has the highest World ranking of the US women, and is so decorated that she's the only US woman who could get away with a 4th place finish and still go to Sochi because of how consistent she's been. The only thing Gold has over Ashley is a single US championship -- which is also her first win over Ashley in all of the meetings these two have had.

    I'm really curious as to what your skating background is, as you strike me as the type who barely set foot on the ice as a kid, barely skates even recreationally now, and certainly hasn't competed because otherwise you would have much greater respect for athletes who are trying their hardest to do something that is inherently very hard to begin with. You should be ashamed of yourself, but shame is clearly something you're incapable of because shame requires respecting oneself... which is hardly likely in your case, considering the disrespect you show towards others.
    You said what I have wanted to say but only better. I actually have this person on ignore so I don't have to deal with the drumbeat of nasty comments. She/he whatever has more venom than a cobra.

  2. #107
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gracie Gold is reigning National Champion, has the full backing of the USFS
    has tons of media attention already , touted as a gold medal contender by the US media
    if she is clean she will be vying with Kim Yuna for the gold medal
    if that isn't momentum I don't know what is

    Wagner barely doesn't get any media news, only scandal involving her and Mirai, that is news for the wrong reasons
    and will be bad for her PCS who will fall in Sochi.
    Being touted as a medal contender by the US media is meaningless. Jason Brown is being touted by the media as a medal contender (even a gold medal). Media attention by the US and backing by the USFSA (who clearly also back Wagner as they sent her over Mirai) won't translate into gold medal marks in Sochi, so I don't know where your logic is coming from.

    And the reason why it's a scandal is because people simply haven't read the rules that the USFSA put out. Any time a friend says Mirai should go and then I point out that the USFSA set these regulations about consistency well in advance of Nationals, along with mentioning that the Nationals placements won't determine the Sochi team per say, and show them Mirai's vs. Ashley's results over the past 2 years, they wholeheartedly agree that Ashley should be sent AND agree that she's being distorted by the media. I mean, the media is accusing the USFSA of racism, for crying out loud.

    Ashley's PCS is still much higher than Gold's, in general. You can delude yourself into not believing that, but hey, you also think Gold can compete with a clean (or even close to clean) Yu Na, and that a clean Lipnitskaia will beat a clean Sotnikova, etc.

  3. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Anyway to the thread title I would say almost nothing. I dont think failing to win Nationals is the kiss of death for a skater. However she didnt just fail to win Nationals, she placed 4th and had to be controversially named to her own Olympic team. Add to that she was only an outside shot, not a favorite, for a medal to begin with. Then you factor in the improved level of skating and consistency that all of Gold, Sotnikova, and Suzuki are showing lately, and join that to the long established favorites of Kim, Asada, Kostner, and Julia, and a medal for Ashley at this point would take a miracelous effort on her part, and alot of mistakes from the rest. Even just after the Grand Prix final I would have said her medal chances were only like 20%. However since then she had her U.S Nationals debacle, Suzuki and Sotnikova and Murakami and Osmond all turned in shockingly great and inspired performances at their own Nationals, and Gold has probably supplanted her as U.S #1 and the one the fed will push more for. So her medal chances are now more like 2% than the previous 20%.

    Good news for her is she might still be included in the Team Event and the U.S Team will definitely medal there, so she should still get an Olympic medal.

  4. #109
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,870
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Are people honestly surprised the Russian media is trying to smear Wagner?

    They're still shaking in their boots that an outspoken athlete, who can potentially deny their own athletes a medal, is going. Of course they'll say whatever they can to bring her down.

    Whatever, Ashley doesn't give a crap about the haters.
    Her leaving twitter hardly supports that position.

  5. #110
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,870
    Ashley drinking wine-----and I believed that article that said she was living off peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

  6. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Being touted as a medal contender by the US media is meaningless. Jason Brown is being touted by the media as a medal contender (even a gold medal). Media attention by the US and backing by the USFSA (who clearly also back Wagner as they sent her over Mirai) won't translate into gold medal marks in Sochi, so I don't know where your logic is coming from.

    And the reason why it's a scandal is because people simply haven't read the rules that the USFSA put out. Any time a friend says Mirai should go and then I point out that the USFSA set these regulations about consistency well in advance of Nationals, along with mentioning that the Nationals placements won't determine the Sochi team per say, and show them Mirai's vs. Ashley's results over the past 2 years, they wholeheartedly agree that Ashley should be sent AND agree that she's being distorted by the media. I mean, the media is accusing the USFSA of racism, for crying out loud.

    Ashley's PCS is still much higher than Gold's, in general. You can delude yourself into not believing that, but hey, you also think Gold can compete with a clean (or even close to clean) Yu Na, and that a clean Lipnitskaia will beat a clean Sotnikova, etc.
    you are into a rude awakening in Sochi, I repeat Gracie Gold will have a higher PCS than Wagner in Sochi
    the media does care and so does Wagner, her youtube videos are full of dislikes and she even left twitter
    she will be in huge pressure in Sochi to justify being chosen in the Team

    Gracie will compete in full confidence knowing she has a shot at the gold medal
    she seems to have a renewed and new eye to win which I have never seen before from Gracie
    her progress is really remarkable and what a lovely skater also

  7. #112
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    405
    Her bad performance can affect her either way. For sure, there won't be as much pressure in Sochi as at the national. It would feel almost like another new life, after she survived the national.
    If I have to guess how they feel, I guess Gracie will have more confidence but also more pressure. Ashley will have less confidence and less pressure.

  8. #113
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Her bad performance can affect her either way. For sure, there won't be as much pressure in Sochi as at the national. It would feel almost like another new life, after she survived the national.
    If I have to guess how they feel, I guess Gracie will have more confidence but also more pressure. Ashley will have less confidence and less pressure.
    I see it as the exact opposite. Ashley will be under considerable pressure to demonstrate that USFA was right to send her instead of the bronze medalist. Gracie is under pressure to cement her rising star with a good performance but no one is really expecting anything from her in terms of placements. There are hopes that she can challenge for a medal but everyone know she's new to the scene and that there is a whole list of skaters she'd have to defeat.

    I think with Ashley, it will come down to how well she is training these coming weeks. Hopefully she is training very well and can concentrate on that and tune out the jibber-jabber.

  9. #114
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    200
    I think everyone is going to be under tremendous pressure at the Olympics. It's the one event where, regardless of expectations, no one is going to feel totally at ease. It only comes around every 4 years, so all the skaters can't know if they'll have such a good a shot at winning a medal again. In the case of some- Kostner, Abbott, Suzuki, Takahashi, Asada, etc.- it's really their last chance to achieve a lifelong goal. For others- Gold, Wagner, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, Hanyu, Fernandez, etc.- who knows whether they'll be skating as well in 2018 as they are now.

  10. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    I think everyone is going to be under tremendous pressure at the Olympics. It's the one event where, regardless of expectations, no one is going to feel totally at ease. It only comes around every 4 years, so all the skaters can't know if they'll have such a good a shot at winning a medal again. In the case of some- Kostner, Abbott, Suzuki, Takahashi, Asada, etc.- it's really their last chance to achieve a lifelong goal. For others- Gold, Wagner, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, Hanyu, Fernandez, etc.- who knows whether they'll be skating as well in 2018 as they are now.
    I dont see anyway of Chan staying around for 2018 so he is under huge pressure too, especialy with Canada never having won a gold medal. Yu Na Kim will be under heavy pressure as she would firmly cement her best ever status with her 2nd Olympic Gold medal, and she is the favorite to win. Everyone will have pressure in some form or another. Everyone ultimately wants their best performances at the biggest event of all, and that is pressure in itself, even on someone bidding just to perhaps not finish last.

  11. #116
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gracie Gold is reigning National Champion, has the full backing of the USFS
    has tons of media attention already , touted as a gold medal contender by the US media
    if she is clean she will be vying with Kim Yuna for the gold medal
    if that isn't momentum I don't know what is

    Wagner barely doesn't get any media news, only scandal involving her and Mirai, that is news for the wrong reasons
    and will be bad for her PCS who will fall in Sochi.
    Highly doubt Wagner will medal but you never know! Look at Sarah Hughes at the Olympics! Her best skate ever! I am going with Tracie Gold and hope she wins the Gold there!

  12. #117
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    226
    I disagree.
    I know people lie to the media all the time, but from how Kim has been coming off on the last couple interviews ("Unlike many fans, I'm not looking to the gold medal as my goal this Olympics...I've already accomplished that...I just want to end my career in a way that reflects off the work I've put in...yadda yadda yadda...) she really seems to have mastered the effects of the pressure that her nation and fans put on her.

    And there's nothing wrong in what she is saying, and the whole 'coming off an injury thing' may just have further cemented that mindset. Mind you, I'm sure she'd still be ecstatic with the ogm, but she seems a bit over it, even saying that she just wants the olys to be over with, let the results be what they may, so she can start her new life.

    Chan on the other hand... never mind any pressure from Canada. No one in their right mind could be at the level he's skating now and not want to receive the ultimate honor.

  13. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Yes Kim does seem in control mentally, despite all the things that I mentioned could be at stake for her. That is bad news for her competitors as if she does feel relaxed enough to withstand the pressure with comfort and skate her best there is no way she is losing.

  14. #119
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    I think everyone is going to be under tremendous pressure at the Olympics. It's the one event where, regardless of expectations, no one is going to feel totally at ease. It only comes around every 4 years, so all the skaters can't know if they'll have such a good a shot at winning a medal again. In the case of some- Kostner, Abbott, Suzuki, Takahashi, Asada, etc.- it's really their last chance to achieve a lifelong goal. For others- Gold, Wagner, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, Hanyu, Fernandez, etc.- who knows whether they'll be skating as well in 2018 as they are now.
    That's true and I don't mean to underestimate the pressure gold will face. I just meant that if she skates great and ends up 5th people won't see it as a failure but as evidence of her promise. Still, you're right it IS the Olympics and it will be hard for anyone not to get overwhelmed. That's one thought I've had about Ashley: she says going to the Olympics is icing on the cake and that nationals is more pressure. But she's never been to the Olympics. She can't know what it will be like to skate at such a huge global event until she gets there. The media glare will be tremendous. Worlds isn't the same.

  15. #120
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    ...[t]hat's one thought I've had about Ashley: she says going to the Olympics is icing on the cake and that nationals is more pressure. But she's never been to the Olympics. She can't know what it will be like to skate at such a huge global event until she gets there. The media glare will be tremendous. Worlds isn't the same.
    That's what I've been saying. Once she steps onto Olympic ice, all bets are off. Olympic pressure has taken down even some of the toughest competitors over time.

    However, kudos to her if she's able to shake it off/deal with it better than Nationals...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •