Disgusting Judging | Golden Skate

Disgusting Judging

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
The judging for the senior events so far has been absolutely disgraceful

Agnes Zawadski receiving only 2 points higher in components that people like Yasmin Siraj and Courtney hicks.

Judges giving Rachael Flatts step sequence a -1 and a 0.

Kiri Baga receiving only 24 for components.

Hannah Miller not receiving an edge call for 3Lz

Christina Gao still scoring level 3 step sequence

Ashley Cains jumps not being <

Mirai Nagasu Jumps not being <

Sam Cesario jumps not being <

Polina Edmunds receiving PCS of a senior Lady ?

Sorry for Ranting but this was some of the worst judging ive ever witnessed.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay well it has been consistent though - bad. I am not sure why in the world these judges are so so so generous with these marks they are a good ten percent too high and to behonest the US is the worst culprits. The US used to give out 6.0's like potato chips. Yeah I am not so sure about Mirai's jumps. Love her but they might not be helping her by9ing being so generous at nationals. No miracle for Flatt, Zhang, Hicks or Zawadiuk - they are out of it. Goldlooks to be in contention for an oly medal but we are a fickle bunch - one bad skate and it is back to she can't handle the pressure.

Dots

Final Flight
Thank God Agnes was [finally] scored appropriately! For sure I thought the judges would held her up like they always do.

You mean Baga is still doing singles??? :eek: Girl needs to chose one discipline and stick with it! (and by that i mean pairs obviously)

Polina was fantastic and rightfully deserves her second place. If she goes clean in the LP with her 3/3, it'll be hard for Nagasu/Wagner to beat her.

For once I agree with the judges.

alexeifan

On the Ice
Why should Gao get a level 4 step sequence when she tripped in her steps not just once, but twice?

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Thank God Agnes was [finally] scored appropriately! For sure I thought the judges would held her up like they always do.

For once I agree with the judges.

You really think Agnes deserves PCS that close to someone like Yasmin Siraj.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Agnes deserved slightly better PCS, but all these years where she was overscored, it's time to pay back. If we're playing fair, her PCS would be 15 to pay back for the past 3 years.
This girl took the spot from so many skaters in the past, so it's hard to find any sympathy for her. The USF is telling her to retire. Game over for Agnes.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Why should Gao get a level 4 step sequence when she tripped in her steps not just once, but twice?

Well sometimes the level may be high but the GOE may be low if that makes sense. I mean someone can do a quad toe but it can be wobbly, two footed, not great height etc which should be reflected in the goe.

daisies

Rinkside
The level has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the element. The technical panel calls the level based on difficulty criteria that is met. Then the judges assign a GOE based on the quality of that element. The element was accurately judged with -3 and -2 GOEs.

sk8ingcoach - You haven't provided a single argument for why those judging decisions were wrong.

You haven't even said which jumps you thought should have been downgraded, because I don't assume that you meant all of them. Have you actually watched them in slo-mo?

As for Lv4 step sequences for everyone, correct me if I am wrong, but I can't recall ISU technical panels being this generous.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
As for Lv4 step sequences for everyone, correct me if I am wrong, but I can't recall ISU technical panels being this generous.
My guess is that the USFSA's answer to keep up with the huge National Inflation seen across the world was to grant each competitor their own panel of judges, comprised exclusively of close family members! :unsure:
:points::points::points:

Country
Russia
Am I the only who sees UR at 3F of Wagner's combo (SP)?
I believe - problem with second jump of this combo was because URed first jump.

Update - I was wrong. Both jumps at combo are rotated.
Problem was because Ashley did not hold vertical axis in first jump, because of this problem at landing and doubling second jump.

lovegoodxo

Rinkside
Its not really fair to punish Agnes for 3 years of generous judging, she didn't ask for the scores. Her PCS mark was pretty low.

I also agree that Polina was overscored in PCS. I think she's a gorgeous skater and has tonnes of potential but her programmes seem so juniorish to me, her age really shows on the ice. I also think she's lacking in finesse and polish, but that will all come in time.

Still hoping for Gracie, Ashley and Mirai on the podium, in any order.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
too bad there isn't away for the judges to lose their status as judge; it would be hard where they are consistently overmarking. I just don't understand really how this happens because to get these scores it means the majority of the judges are doing this. Surely they have some idea what top skaters are getting at international events? It isn't that easy to get over 60 at a competition but here they are given out as fast as telemarketers call you at dinner. I understand this is a common issue at individual nations's competition but it seems more pronounced in the good ole us of a. Yuna give it up. Gracie is going to cream you with this scoring system and Virtue and Moir you might aas well wrap up those gold medals and put them on a velvet pillow and bow down to almighty Davis and White:)

Matilda

Medalist
In a hurry, so just copying a part of my comments from another thread:

How the hell Agnes's choreography scores can range from 4.750 (!!!) to 7.50??? That makes no sense whatsoever.
How did Agnes's SS suddenly drop to the 6's and interpretation to 5s and 6s????

If you've seen Agnes skate live, she is a very powerful skater, projects well, and has nice edges. No way does her interpretation last night deserve 5s and 6s--when Gracie's ranged all the way to 9.0! Look at Mirai's IN scores as well: they range from 5.25 to 8.0! 2.75pt difference from one judge to the other is ridiculous!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agnes deserved slightly better PCS, but all these years where she was overscored, it's time to pay back. If we're playing fair, her PCS would be 15 to pay back for the past 3 years.
This girl took the spot from so many skaters in the past, so it's hard to find any sympathy for her. The USF is telling her to retire. Game over for Agnes.

Talk about pulling the rug out from under someone. And just how did it happen that all (or a majority) of the judges hosed her? Is it OK now for judges to decide in advance the scores they will give out? They used to at least pretend they judged individually. I am disgusted with a judging system that "sends messages" to skaters instead of judging them on their performance. Was Agnes really that much worse in PCS than just-up-from juniors-and-skated-like-it Polina Edmunds? On the international level, Polina would not receive those scores, especially when she is compared to other young skaters like Julia L. and Elena R.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Talk about pulling the rug out from under someone. And just how did it happen that all (or a majority) of the judges hosed her? Is it OK now for judges to decide in advance the scores they will give out? They used to at least pretend they judged individually. I am disgusted with a judging system that "sends messages" to skaters instead of judging them on their performance. Was Agnes really that much worse in PCS than just-up-from juniors-and-skated-like-it Polina Edmunds? On the international level, Polina would not receive those scores, especially when she is compared to other young skaters like Julia L. and Elena R.

It's politicking in its most natural form. Agnes sealed her fate during the Grand Prix and the judges sent her a memo. Polina IMO was scored to high is PCS, she is a great technical skater but the program did nothing for me. She is an American version of Elena Radinova. I think Mirai was lowballed intentionally on PSC as she should have been the clear second. Gracie is over scoring at its finest, she is going to have to imploded badly to lose this title. I'm really hoping the Olympic team is Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai in no order.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
sk8ingcoach - You haven't provided a single argument for why those judging decisions were wrong.

You haven't even said which jumps you thought should have been downgraded, because I don't assume that you meant all of them. Have you actually watched them in slo-mo?

For Ashley: 2A, maybe 3F
For Mirai: 3R, 2nd 3T

IMO these were clear cut <, some even close to << but probably not quite.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Of course everyone here is disgusted by this judging.
The point is clear. Something shady is always going on. I've seen first hand how overscored Agnes was. I wouldn't be surprised that the US Fed sent a debit memo to the judges. We overpaid this girl by 20 points in PCS and GOE, take them back this year.

Agnes is not much worse, but in this field, she's more like 27.5 PCS skater. She earned about 3 PCS points higher than what she should get last year, so now she's paying for it back. And she hasn't even done paying yet. Her future is bleak with the US Fed. The debit memo is huge for Agnes.

Fair for her? No. Like I said, she shouldn't even get 15 on PCS.
For others? No, they want a chance to compete at 4CC, at GPs, at all other events that Agnes took from them.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but let's just say Agnes shouldn't be punching tickets to any events in the future.

The other girls, Ashley and Gracie are currently in the US Fed welfare roster.

If Ashley doesn't make top 3, she shouldn't go to the Olympics.
For her contribution, send her to World.

lavender

Record Breaker
It's politicking in its most natural form. Agnes sealed her fate during the Grand Prix and the judges sent her a memo. Polina IMO was scored to high is PCS, she is a great technical skater but the program did nothing for me. She is an American version of Elena Radinova. I think Mirai was lowballed intentionally on PSC as she should have been the clear second. Gracie is over scoring at its finest, she is going to have to imploded badly to lose this title. I'm really hoping the Olympic team is Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai in no order.

ITA and if you've read any of the articles Edmund is really in love…………with herself. LOL:laugh:… not a fan That's just my opinion.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
ITA and if you've read any of the articles Edmund is really in love&#133;&#133;&#133;&#133;with herself. LOL:laugh:&#133; not a fan That's just my opinion.

Lol I very much picked up on that! It's as off putting as her costume and bedazzled hair was;)