Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Agnes Zawadzki, Samantha Cesario, and Courtney Hicks?

Rinkside

What's next for Agnes Zawadzki, Samantha Cesario, and Courtney Hicks?

These 3 skaters were aiming for the 2014 Olympics and unfortunately that will probably not be happening. With the financial, emotional, and physical toll that skating can take, is it in their best interest to hang around?

Custom Title
    The FS has yet to be skated, but there is life after the Olympics. Certainly Cesario and Hicks will continue on, and particularly Cesario has shown improvement. Zawadski is still young and I think she has potential even though this season was a setback.

Custom Title
    Sam doesn't have the TES needed to be competitive.
    Agnes doesn't have the mentality of a winner.
    Courtney doesn't have the PCS and consistency.

Courtney has the best chance at becoming a contender because PCS and consistency can be learned.
    Mental toughness cannot be learned.
    And TES requirement from Sam is just too much.

So here's the ranking from best to retirement
    1. Courtney
    2. Agnes
    3. Sam

The long program competition.

*ba dum zing!*

Was that a bad joke? #sorrynotsorry

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post

*ba dum zing!*

Not a bad joke in my eyes. From all the angst, one would think the Long Program was over and National champions had been crowned.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrgirl View Post
    Not a bad joke in my eyes. From all the angst, one would think the Long Program was over and National champions had been crowned.
    Honestly, if I hadn't been paying attention, I would've thought Miss Illinois had already won the Miss America pageant.

Huuuu.

I think the scoring was not fair. Agnes, Samantha deserved better.

A commentator on some network, I forget which one, said Agnes almost thought of retiring after last season but went back to Tom Z. instead. For that reason I think she might retire in 2014.

Custom Title
    So many dreams and only three spots. Someone has to get lucky and win and someone loses. Mirai justhappens to be on the upswing but earlier on she would have been going back to her parents restaurant seeking work. Ice is so slippery. But folks there is the still freeskate andthings can change especially for Ashley though Gold has a pretty big lead.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    A commentator on some network, I forget which one, said Agnes almost thought of retiring after last season but went back to Tom Z. instead. For that reason I think she might retire in 2014.
    Didn't they show an up close on Agnes a couple of years ago where it showed her living in a one bedroom apartment with her mother and grandmother, and her mother worked as a cleaning lady to make ends meet? Not sure what her funding is, but I think 2014 was her only year for skating. I would assume Hicks will continue, let's hope she overhauls her carriage and presentation. I know nothing about Cesario, but she has suddenly popped up on the radar this season in a big way (I remember her missing so many Nationals due to injury, so I know she's not a spring chicken). But I would assume if anyone dropped out it would be Agnes. Which would explain her reaction in the K/C.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post

*ba dum zing!*

And.............. you win.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    And.............. you win.
    I seriously don't get this joke. Anyone care to explain this to an old fogey? Are you making fun of the fact that the LP is not even a competition, and that Price-Waterhouse like the Oscars already has the team in an envelope somewhere? Unless *ba dum zing* is something kids are saying these days which I've never heard.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I seriously don't get this joke. Anyone care to explain this to an old fogey? Are you making fun of the fact that the LP is not even a competition, and that Price-Waterhouse like the Oscars already has the team in an envelope somewhere? Unless *ba dum zing* is something kids are saying these days which I've never heard.
    The joke is ... there is no joke.

I just answered the (title) question literally--different in a way the OP probably intended. *Ba dum zing!* was just a bad onomatopeia of a drum set.

Banned
    retirements in 2014
    Flatt,, Zhang and maybe Zawadzki

Custom Title
    Both Agnes and Samantha seem to me to be skaters from another era. They come off as tough, "showgirl" types, like Nicole Bobek, Elaine Zayak and even Tonya H! I imagine the judges are punishing them for their image, since it seems ballerinas skating to piano concertos or violin pieces are in for the last several years (I'm not happy about it, since I find it sort of boring, to say the least).

Both would be excellent show skaters, if they still had all the shows around.
    My guess is that they will be back next year, hair in a bun not a pony tail, skating to Sleeping Beauty or Romeo and Juliet or Sheherazade or Concerto for the violin and/or piano (any one). They won't be nearly as enjoyable to watch, but their pcs scores will rise. Probably Courtney, too.

Rachael will continue and Stanford, and Caroline? I don't know. She's the one I worry about the most. She and Mirai, I worry about picking up a People magazine someday and reading about their struggles after skating. They seem miserable and they don't seem to be in college or anything like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast