Kim looking like a lock for second gold medal in Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim looking like a lock for second gold medal in Sochi

RABID

Final Flight
Reuter's article on Yuna's final season:
'Ice Queen' Yuna aims to enjoy Olympic swansong
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/10/oly-bio-yuna-idUSL4N0JI0FB20140110

I wonder if we'll see some "moments" between her and Mao at Sochi? :cry:

"I have been compared to Mao since we were both junior skaters," Kim said. "We've felt the rivalry since then so we wanted to avoid each other.

"However, she has been my motivation. If she had not been there I would not have become the skater I am today.

"This season will be the last one for Mao as well. I hope she leaves with no regrets."

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Skateluvr, your obsession with yuna is really sickening.

No, your obsession with one skater is sad and pathetic. What will you like when she retires? Nada. Look at your screen name. I think that is obsession. Do not start personal attacks because your only interest is not a lock for gold. There ARE other skaters...stop bashing please. I have nothing to say...if you do not like my opinion, use your ignore button. I certainly will. Please, Stop insulting someone of a different opinion.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
skateluvr, you make posts in every single Yuna thread in existence just to vilify her. THAT is pathetic.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
Honestly, skateluvr, it feels like you have some sort of persecution complex. Criticizing Yuna is one thing. (For the record, you are biased. So am I! We all have our biases. Anybody who thinks that they're being 100% objective when talking about figure skating of all sports is deluding themselves.) But it's like you can't go one post without making some swipe at Yuna ubers and how they're always attacking you just because you don't like her. Here's the thing though: There are other posters on this board who criticize Yuna, not just you. Those people don't get half as much the flak as you do. There's a reason for that. Think about it.

ETA: Oh, but you don't have to worry about responding to this, because I too am now putting you on an Ignore list. You are just too exhausting and obnoxious to deal with. (And no, my criticizing you does not make me a Yuna uber, although in your mind it probably does.)

yuki90

On the Ice
As Asada's fan, I think Skateluvr is very offensive and rude im sure she/he is not happy in real life.

always pretend to be a fan of Mao and Akiko attacking Kim and Kim's fans.

If you are a true fan of some skaters, respect other skaters and theirs fans.

you are making bad images of Mao and Akiko's fans in GS.

You are the one who is always complaining about Yuna and her fans and generalizing everything with your personal opinion.

Stop accusing and blaming Yuna and her fans. why dont you find something valuable in your real life not on the internet.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
It's okay, yuki90. Mao and Akiko are both great and I think that the vast majority of their fans are too! :D

And I know that Yuna does have some annoying ubers, I'm not denying that they exist at all. I just think a lot of it is overblown. Most of her fans really aren't crazy, either. LOL.

Edited because argh, double negatives.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
best way to not deal with the back and forth unpleasantness is to (say it with me): DISENGAGE! DISENGAGE!

Kirk

Rinkside
Skateluvr just hates seeing dominant winner's glory and all. Poor girl. Perhaps seeing a psychiatrist might help.

My point was not that YuNa is less than she was (I am a huge fan of hers as well as of Mao's--two geniuses in one Olympic cycle!--and I think that YuNa's skills are still at their peak), but that no one is ever "a lock" to win in skating. I think it's unfair to YuNa to say that her win is inevitable. She strives with all her might just like anyone else, and like other skaters she is constantly trying both to maintain and to improve her skills. This is not something she can just phone in, and I'm sure she's been working like anything to prepare for this competition. In some ways, it's easier than it was for her in 2010 because she has already achieved gold, but in some ways I'm sure it's harder. One way is that she is training in Korea, where her every move is scrutinized, rather than in the anonymity of Canada. The media follow her so closely in Korea that I'm sure they even try to find out what she's dreaming at night. That must be an unimaginable stress. Add to that the fact that she has many more public obligations this time around.

In 1992 in the ice dancing, the three top contenders were Klimova/Ponomarenko, Usova/Zhulin, and the Duchesnays. On the final night of competition, I remember thinking that they were all so spectacular that I would have been content with any result in any order as long as all three were on the podium. They were that good. I can't remember feeling this way about any other set of skaters since that time, until now with the ladies. My main three, for both technical and emotional reasons, are YuNa, Mao, and Akiko. I honestly don't know how I'll react on the big night, but I can imagine dancing around in glee for any of these three. It's the kind of situation in which I'm glad I'm not in charge of things, because I'd just hand out three gold medals. (And I'd give out two in ice dancing.) My wish is that all three ladies will go down in history as among the greatest ever, no matter who wins the gold, and I think that's highly likely. I just hope with great intensity that each of the three skates her absolute best--with no regrets afterward. Wouldn't that be a night for fans to remember forever?

Nater

Match Penalty

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I think what thinspread meant was that the Japan Times writer incorrectly stated Yuna's missed element.

Yuna had two missed elements in the Long - she skipped 2Lo in the 2A-2L-2T combo and singled her last 2A.

However, the writer wrote as if Yuna did a 3-2 instead of a 3-3 ("Despite being marked down when she doubled the back end of a triple-triple combination in the free skate...") That is all. No harm done to anyone.

iceitout

Spectator
I think that what makes Yuna a favourite is, really, her ability to deliver when needed. Yes, I agree that in certain cases she has indeed been over-scored and she skates a very safe program (pretty unexciting if you watch an entire playlist of her programs since Vancouver) but her consistency really rules. Figure skating, like any other sport, is very much a mind game, which I find that other skaters generally do not play it as well. Yuna manages to shut the world out just enough to concentrate but yet still draw everyone in. On the other hand... she doesn't seem to have as much connection to send in the clowns and adios nonino as her previous programs (especially les mis) and as a fan, it's rather worrying. huh. we shall see.:think:

Crystallize

On the Ice
Nobody may ever be a lock for things in figure skating, but, if there ever was, Yuna would certainly be the closest. I'd say that she is the favorite for gold as of now.

I completely agree that "favorite" is a far better word, and YuNa certainly is the favorite. The amplitude (if that's the right term) and consistency (I KNOW that's the right word!) of her jumps, her artistry, and her coolness under pressure make her the most formidable skater these days.

scooter

Rinkside
Honestly, I think one of the up and coming 'babies' like Lipnitskaya or Gold might come in with less pressure on them then the 'big guns' and have the skate of her lfe. That Lipnitskaya is Gumby Girl!

bebevia

On the Ice
Honestly, I think one of the up and coming 'babies' like Lipnitskaya or Gold might come in with less pressure on them then the 'big guns' and have the skate of her lfe.
Ay, that was Mirai in Vancouver 2010. (Sigh)

Peach

Rinkside
I think that what makes Yuna a favourite is, really, her ability to deliver when needed. Yes, I agree that in certain cases she has indeed been over-scored and she skates a very safe program (pretty unexciting if you watch an entire playlist of her programs since Vancouver) but her consistency really rules. Figure skating, like any other sport, is very much a mind game, which I find that other skaters generally do not play it as well. Yuna manages to shut the world out just enough to concentrate but yet still draw everyone in. On the other hand... she doesn't seem to have as much connection to send in the clowns and adios nonino as her previous programs (especially les mis) and as a fan, it's rather worrying. huh. we shall see.:think:

I don't see how she skates a "very safe program?" She jumps 3L-3T, 6 triples total (excluding 3L), level 4 spins, level 4 step sequence. A lot of skaters fail to jump 3-3 cleanly and just because she does them so well, that doesn't necessarily make them "easy" to do. I mean yes she can definitely upgrade her program and make it technically more difficult, but the current layout is difficult enough to generate massive points if done well.