Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kim looking like a lock for second gold medal in Sochi

Custom Title
    My point was not that YuNa is less than she was (I am a huge fan of hers as well as of Mao's--two geniuses in one Olympic cycle!--and I think that YuNa's skills are still at their peak), but that no one is ever "a lock" to win in skating. I think it's unfair to YuNa to say that her win is inevitable. She strives with all her might just like anyone else, and like other skaters she is constantly trying both to maintain and to improve her skills. This is not something she can just phone in, and I'm sure she's been working like anything to prepare for this competition. In some ways, it's easier than it was for her in 2010 because she has already achieved gold, but in some ways I'm sure it's harder. One way is that she is training in Korea, where her every move is scrutinized, rather than in the anonymity of Canada. The media follow her so closely in Korea that I'm sure they even try to find out what she's dreaming at night. That must be an unimaginable stress. Add to that the fact that she has many more public obligations this time around.

In 1992 in the ice dancing, the three top contenders were Klimova/Ponomarenko, Usova/Zhulin, and the Duchesnays. On the final night of competition, I remember thinking that they were all so spectacular that I would have been content with any result in any order as long as all three were on the podium. They were that good. I can't remember feeling this way about any other set of skaters since that time, until now with the ladies. My main three, for both technical and emotional reasons, are YuNa, Mao, and Akiko. I honestly don't know how I'll react on the big night, but I can imagine dancing around in glee for any of these three. It's the kind of situation in which I'm glad I'm not in charge of things, because I'd just hand out three gold medals. (And I'd give out two in ice dancing.) My wish is that all three ladies will go down in history as among the greatest ever, no matter who wins the gold, and I think that's highly likely. I just hope with great intensity that each of the three skates her absolute best--with no regrets afterward. Wouldn't that be a night for fans to remember forever?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    Don't jinx Yuna! Apparently, that guy writing for Japan Times knows not much about FS. He's wrong on Yuna's missed element during Korean nationals.

Well said.

Yes, she's IOC's darling. Why not: http://www.olympic.org/news/yuna-kim...he-rink/219201

I think she will dominate again if she go near clean.
    She singled a double axel. That's missing an element. No one plans those in their programs at this level of competition.

I think what thinspread meant was that the Japan Times writer incorrectly stated Yuna's missed element.

Yuna had two missed elements in the Long - she skipped 2Lo in the 2A-2L-2T combo and singled her last 2A.

However, the writer wrote as if Yuna did a 3-2 instead of a 3-3 ("Despite being marked down when she doubled the back end of a triple-triple combination in the free skate...") That is all. No harm done to anyone.

Rinkside
    I think that what makes Yuna a favourite is, really, her ability to deliver when needed. Yes, I agree that in certain cases she has indeed been over-scored and she skates a very safe program (pretty unexciting if you watch an entire playlist of her programs since Vancouver) but her consistency really rules. Figure skating, like any other sport, is very much a mind game, which I find that other skaters generally do not play it as well. Yuna manages to shut the world out just enough to concentrate but yet still draw everyone in. On the other hand... she doesn't seem to have as much connection to send in the clowns and adios nonino as her previous programs (especially les mis) and as a fan, it's rather worrying. huh. we shall see.

Medalist
    Nobody may ever be a lock for things in figure skating, but, if there ever was, Yuna would certainly be the closest. I'd say that she is the favorite for gold as of now.

Custom Title
    I completely agree that "favorite" is a far better word, and YuNa certainly is the favorite. The amplitude (if that's the right term) and consistency (I KNOW that's the right word!) of her jumps, her artistry, and her coolness under pressure make her the most formidable skater these days.

On the Ice
    Honestly, I think one of the up and coming 'babies' like Lipnitskaya or Gold might come in with less pressure on them then the 'big guns' and have the skate of her lfe. That Lipnitskaya is Gumby Girl!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Honestly, I think one of the up and coming 'babies' like Lipnitskaya or Gold might come in with less pressure on them then the 'big guns' and have the skate of her lfe.
    Ay, that was Mirai in Vancouver 2010. (Sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by iceitout View Post
    I think that what makes Yuna a favourite is, really, her ability to deliver when needed. Yes, I agree that in certain cases she has indeed been over-scored and she skates a very safe program (pretty unexciting if you watch an entire playlist of her programs since Vancouver) but her consistency really rules. Figure skating, like any other sport, is very much a mind game, which I find that other skaters generally do not play it as well. Yuna manages to shut the world out just enough to concentrate but yet still draw everyone in. On the other hand... she doesn't seem to have as much connection to send in the clowns and adios nonino as her previous programs (especially les mis) and as a fan, it's rather worrying. huh. we shall see.
    I don't see how she skates a "very safe program?" She jumps 3L-3T, 6 triples total (excluding 3L), level 4 spins, level 4 step sequence. A lot of skaters fail to jump 3-3 cleanly and just because she does them so well, that doesn't necessarily make them "easy" to do. I mean yes she can definitely upgrade her program and make it technically more difficult, but the current layout is difficult enough to generate massive points if done well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3