Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kim looking like a lock for second gold medal in Sochi

Rinkside
    Yuna also took of 2011-12 season to help win the bid for 2018 Peoungchang.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    To be honest thought Witt skated every year after she won her Gold medal and never took any time off. Yuna took of all of 2011-12 and only skated at Worlds in 2011. She hasn't put herself through the GP season since 2009 she's simply picked and choosed when she was going to skate and mostly to get the spots for Worlds and the Olympics not because she loved skating so much.
    We can't really compare Yuna to Witt because the circumstances are so different. Witt did not have a choice but to keep competing and also her winning OGM also meant her freedom - very complicated and dark political history attached to her story.

It doesn't really matter after all. Yuna will compete with what she has.

I agree with everyone else, Yuna isn't a lock for the gold medal, she's a lock for a medal and a favorite for gold but not a lock for the gold medal.

On the Ice
    I'm with those worried about jinxing Yuna's chances.

That said, it really is kinda amazing that she's a lock for a medal of any color. Hell would have to freeze over before Yuna missed the podium. Oh wait...dangit. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, I'm never comfortable calling someone a lock for any medal, but especially in a sport where it's so easy to slip (both metaphorically and literally). You also can't count on all the other competitors behaving exactly as they did previously. This could be the night where, to paraphrase Brian Boitano describing his 1988 long program, angels hold up Mao Asada as she executes two perfect triple axels, or where Julia or Akiko reach that magical level where time stands still and gravity becomes a servant instead of a master.
    I know you love Mao and recall you hoped she'd win all the way to Sochi. She is you beloved fave I think, and secret wish. It would be nice to see her get gold, but I'd be just as happy as seeing Akiko, maybe moreso, as she is number 1 this season, and Ashley has beautiful performances-just needs to control nerves for that darn 3/3 everyone says must be there to win. Julia has grown on me all season. She is a little kid in a field of polished women.

I have not had time today, but I never thought (spoiler on Ladies US Sp Nationals-turn away) Ashley would be in 4th! Unfair judging. And I am shocked! So anything can happen. Kim should not be a lock with her skating so far THIS YEAR. Gone is top speed, and she's making mistakes on easy jumps. A 3 toe? A double axel? She Does not do a Biemann, and her lines were never the best. She is not the skater she was last year. IMO Les Mis was very good technically and her performance was good. Good program and music suited her. She deserved to win WC, and as I wrote in YuNa thread, and still got slammed anyway, she was great at KN, and I suspected gold in WC. She delivered one of her best LPs of her career, and won. Yes, she is always overscored imo since Vancouver, but many think Mao and others have superior programs as well as performance qualities.

But we saw her beat Mao by 20 points. Excessive given how well Mao skated and her qualities are very beautiful. A female even attempting 3 triple axels should get a couple points, as it really is so hard. But anyway, Vancouver YuNa is really kinda gone. We have only seen two skates where she wasn't very motivated, to look at it one way, as there was no competition in Zagreb or Nationals. So maybe she was so bored by no stimulation, she just lost her edge. I expect her to have way more fire in Sochi.

That said, the performer I'd give a gold medal to, however I needed to work with the system, which is crazy, is Akiko. Her Nationals was one to re-watch. I find her very special, in the joy she brings to skating. At 29, her last two years were stellar for me, and great skating. Ashley is unsung and I hope she is clean in the LP at Nationals. I have not read all there is, but to have her in 4th after one mistake, is criminal. Do they want to send gold in as number 1 now? It is shocking, and surprising, as she skated very well and has a very good sp program. And comes of a good GP season...so I hope to read the comp thread to hear what everyone has to say and those esp in the arena.

I do not wish to anger Yuna fans as they have numbers and clout here, and they know it and use it. YuNa is special and has deserved her wins, but the margins is all I have questioned. I also like many other fans of this very generous young lady, have not seen "queen yuna'" in Zagreb or nationals. My point respectfully made is she should not be a lock this year based on what we have seen. I felt her injury was minor. That was misconstrued. Everyone including Plusk, Kwan have used their injuried to avoid dealing with IJS and GP events they did not want to compete at. Maybe YuNa was more injured than we thought, but keeping is secret. Stamina was missing. we discussed all this. To be totally accurate, ice is more slippery for the one injured, or the one with lesser arsenal than past glory days.

And nerves will affect them all. So, anything can happen. The favorite did not win 94, 98, 2002 -at least the people's fave did not. I did not think Oxsana would beat an angry nancy skating on fire to show the world the attackers LOST their try to take her out. I thought Lyra and Kwan's joyous floating Janet Lynn like performance would beat a tech. superior Tara....wrong again. And I did not think Sarah would come from 4th with two 3/3s at 16 to be kwan, Irina the jumper and the exquisite, new and unique Sasha Cohen. Wrong again. (actually, I am going with popular opinion-some I saw coming, wink) But the competition is fierce and we do not know what politics goes on. Every Nationals has shocks and thus the Olympics. It is going to be very exciting this year!

Skateluvr, your obsession with yuna is really sickening.

Custom Title
    Reuter's article on Yuna's final season:
    'Ice Queen' Yuna aims to enjoy Olympic swansong
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JI0FB20140110

Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    Reuter's article on Yuna's final season:
    'Ice Queen' Yuna aims to enjoy Olympic swansong
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JI0FB20140110
    I wonder if we'll see some "moments" between her and Mao at Sochi?

"I have been compared to Mao since we were both junior skaters," Kim said. "We've felt the rivalry since then so we wanted to avoid each other.

"However, she has been my motivation. If she had not been there I would not have become the skater I am today.

"This season will be the last one for Mao as well. I hope she leaves with no regrets."

Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    Skateluvr, your obsession with yuna is really sickening.
    No, your obsession with one skater is sad and pathetic. What will you like when she retires? Nada. Look at your screen name. I think that is obsession. Do not start personal attacks because your only interest is not a lock for gold. There ARE other skaters...stop bashing please. I have nothing to say...if you do not like my opinion, use your ignore button. I certainly will. Please, Stop insulting someone of a different opinion.

skateluvr, you make posts in every single Yuna thread in existence just to vilify her. THAT is pathetic.

On the Ice
    Honestly, skateluvr, it feels like you have some sort of persecution complex. Criticizing Yuna is one thing. (For the record, you are biased. So am I! We all have our biases. Anybody who thinks that they're being 100% objective when talking about figure skating of all sports is deluding themselves.) But it's like you can't go one post without making some swipe at Yuna ubers and how they're always attacking you just because you don't like her. Here's the thing though: There are other posters on this board who criticize Yuna, not just you. Those people don't get half as much the flak as you do. There's a reason for that. Think about it.

ETA: Oh, but you don't have to worry about responding to this, because I too am now putting you on an Ignore list. You are just too exhausting and obnoxious to deal with. (And no, my criticizing you does not make me a Yuna uber, although in your mind it probably does.)

Custom Title
    As Asada's fan, I think Skateluvr is very offensive and rude im sure she/he is not happy in real life.

always pretend to be a fan of Mao and Akiko attacking Kim and Kim's fans.

If you are a true fan of some skaters, respect other skaters and theirs fans.

you are making bad images of Mao and Akiko's fans in GS.

You are the one who is always complaining about Yuna and her fans and generalizing everything with your personal opinion.

Stop accusing and blaming Yuna and her fans. why dont you find something valuable in your real life not on the internet.

On the Ice
    It's okay, yuki90. Mao and Akiko are both great and I think that the vast majority of their fans are too! :D

And I know that Yuna does have some annoying ubers, I'm not denying that they exist at all. I just think a lot of it is overblown. Most of her fans really aren't crazy, either. LOL.

Edited because argh, double negatives.

best way to not deal with the back and forth unpleasantness is to (say it with me): DISENGAGE! DISENGAGE!

Skateluvr just hates seeing dominant winner's glory and all. Poor girl. Perhaps seeing a psychiatrist might help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast