Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/spor...ds-sochi-place
    Plushenko, however, appears to have changed his mind telling the ITAR-TASS news agency Friday that he had every right to be named as Russia's sole challenger in the individual event for what would be his fourth Olympic Games.

"I just want to remind those who question my right to compete at Sochi that last year Kovtun was fifth in the Russian nationals but nevertheless he performed both at the European and the world championships," Plushenko said.

"After he finished 17th at the world championships in London, Canada, Russia received only one place at the Olympics tournament.

"Kovtun performed well at last month's nationals but one needs to have solid experience of top international competitions to aspire to win Olympic medals."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/spor...ds-sochi-place
    Wow. This is absolutely outrageous. He loses Nationals and then claims that its his right to be the sole Sochi representative?

The bashing of Maxim and reminding them of Maxim's season last year are classless. Maxim has had experience of top competitions including the GPs, and the GPF this year. Reminding people of Maxim's Euros/Worlds is low... anyone want to remind him of how his FS went at Russian Nationals?

3 Olympics and three medals including gold and he says something like this. So selfish and messed up.

Custom Title
    Well with Michelle she is a golden girl so she would just get a bye to the olympics even though she like Plushy did not medal at the world's previously

Custom Title
    Not that I'm on Plushenko's side or his fan by any means... but why is it so outrageous to some, if no longer than a month ago Takahashi was awarded an Olympic spot he also lost at his nationals? (to be clear, I love Takahashi)
    The only difference I see here is that Plush demands the spot, whereas Daisuke was totally ready to accept staying at home.

Why don't they just send both to Europeans and tell them it is an ultimate test - whoever places better there, goes to Sochi?

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    Why don't they just send both to Europeans and tell them it is an ultimate test - whoever places better there, goes to Sochi?
    Following Russian Nationals, the European team announced was Kovtun, Voronov, and Menshov. So I don't know if the fed can/would knock someone off the team to send Plushenko for a skate off.

Plushenko seems desperate :(

Medalist
    I seem to be trying to repeat the same information again and again these days. I'll say this once.

Two things:

1. This is the context in which Plushenko said that he would skate only the team competition. This was immediately after his Russian Nationals LP (link):

- Evgeni, you said that you will miss the European Championship. But which tournament you will choose at the Olympics - Team or individual?
    - At Europe I really did not go - in any case. At the Olympics, I think, I will choose a team tournament, while to a young and promising athlete I will give individual competitions. I have good judgment and appropriately assess all - for me will be enough to participate in the team competition, in which the Russian team can count on gold!
    He was asked, directly, to choose. It was an interesting and highly unusual question, wasn't it?

2. As Tatjana Flade found out after talking to him, Plushenko had the wrong understanding of the rule modification that the Russian Skating Fed. obtained (which, IIRC, happened around late November). This is what she wrote on FSU:

About the team event/individual event, he said he thought one skater can do the team and one skater can do the individual event. I explained that this is not possible. He then said he thinks he could do both events as there is enough time in between to recover. He also said it will be whatever the Federation decides and he doesn't want to comment on who should be selected for the Games.
    Given this, I am curious:

1. What could have prompted the reporter to ask such a question?
    2. What could have prompted Plushenko to answer as he did, at that moment?
    3. Considering 2, why is it that Plushenko knew about the rule modification, but knew it wrong?

This new interview is consistent with what Flade wrote about his reaction, as soon as she explained the truth to him. If there are to be any plans of playing the rules by withdrawing citing injuries after the team event (which was what many people here were outraged about before), he is not going to be party to it.

As for "demanding" the spot, this is what Plushenko actually said (link):

“It is for President of the Figure Skating Federation of Russia Aleksandr Gorshkov and Federation General Director Valentin Piseyev to decide who will represent Russia in the Sochi Olympics,” Plushenko said.
    (European Championships is another matter, BTW. Flade also wrote that it would be fairest for Plushenko, Kovtun and Voronov all to go to the Euros. I will only mention that although Plushenko said that he would not go to the Euros immediately after the LP, he said later that he would reconsider. However, Piseev then confirmed that Plushenko would not go to the Euros, before the coaches' council met regarding the Euros list. After it came out without Plushenko's name on it, he still said at the gala that he "did not rule out" going. Take these as you will.)

Custom Title
    Not that I'm on Plushenko's side or his fan by any means... but why is it so outrageous to some, if no longer than a month ago Takahashi was awarded an Olympic spot he also lost at his nationals? (to be clear, I love Takahashi)
    The only difference I see here is that Plush demands the spot, whereas Daisuke was totally ready to accept staying at home.

Takahashi did not rant after Japanese Nationals before the team was named that he deserves to go to Sochi over Kozuka/Oda.

You do not see anything outrageous in Plushenko losing Russian nationals and then demanding a spot... and thus denying Kovtun - who won Russian nationals fair and square - from competing in Sochi?

Yes, they should send both to Europeans as a second ultimate test, and if Plushenko wanted to have a shot at Sochi after losing Russian nationals he shouldn't have taken himself off the Euro team.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Plushenko is saying that his last good performance, which was the 2013RN over 1 year ago, is more representative of what he's able to do now than Kovtun's performances this entire season.
    That's why it seemed obvious that to go to Sochi, Plushenko would have to prove he's able to give a good performance. Now, not 1 year ago.

He would have been qualified for Euros, but he didn't want to go.
    Even now, he isn't asking for a spot at Euros, he wants the Sochi spot directly.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Plushenko is saying that his last good performance, which was the 2013RN over 1 year ago, is more representative of what he's able to do now than Kovtun's performances this entire season.
    That's why it seemed obvious that to go to Sochi, Plushenko would have to prove he's able to give a good performance. Now, not 1 year ago.

He would have been qualified for Euros, but he didn't want to go.
    Even now, he isn't asking for a spot at Euros, he wants the Sochi spot directly.
    That is the most mind-boggling thing. Between claiming himself as the Team event representative and demanding that he go to Sochi over the Russian national champion reeks of entitlement. It's like he feels going to Euros and earning his spot is beneath him.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    What would Michelle Kwan do? What would Brian Boitano do?
    What would Celine Dion do?

She would love Plushenko back to liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife (with platinum hip and knee replacements), love him back to LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!1!

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    They brought this on themselves by not having clear parameters on how to decide the team. It's ridiculous that they haven't even named the ladies team yet.
    The team won't be named until after the European Championships.

The decision to send Takahashi to the Olympic Games when he lost to both Kozuka and Oda at Nationals and had a weaker season than Oda was outrageous, IMO. So would be sending Plushenko to Olympics when he lost Nationals and only did one competition this season (where he had no direct competitors and the marking was ridiculous).

Custom Title
    Just for the record, the Japanese Federation published their rules about how to choose the Olympic Team months ago. They have been transparent and Takahashi has earned his Oly spot. The Russian Fed, as usual, hasn't published any specific criteria.

Plushenko and Takahashi's cases aren't similar at all IMO

Custom Title
    Plushenko needs to retire already. He has 3 Olympic medals including a gold. As it is, his chances of medaling in Sochi are about the same as Lysacek's- ZERO. Give the spot to Kovtun and be done with it. He can score way higher than Plushenko can internationally and he could benefit from the experience.

All this back and forth is making my head spin! ...So what now?!

Custom Title
    It's actually quite satisfying to see the Russ Fed hang themselves with their own rope

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast