Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place | Golden Skate

Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place

Taan

On the Ice
Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/spo...er-plushenko-changes-mind-demands-sochi-place
Plushenko, however, appears to have changed his mind telling the ITAR-TASS news agency Friday that he had every right to be named as Russia's sole challenger in the individual event for what would be his fourth Olympic Games.

"I just want to remind those who question my right to compete at Sochi that last year Kovtun was fifth in the Russian nationals but nevertheless he performed both at the European and the world championships," Plushenko said.

"After he finished 17th at the world championships in London, Canada, Russia received only one place at the Olympics tournament.

"Kovtun performed well at last month's nationals but one needs to have solid experience of top international competitions to aspire to win Olympic medals."

bramweld

Record Breaker
It's actually quite satisfying to see the Russ Fed hang themselves with their own rope :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This can only End Ugly :disapp:
apparently Tarasova objects

http://доверенныелица.рф/moskva/per...na-tarasova-maksim-kovtun-budet-uchastvovat-v

Tatiana Tarasova : Maxim Kovtun will participate in the Olympic Games in Sochi
January 10, 2014 17:36

Who is going to the Olympics in Sochi? Some Russian Olympic teams , which have not yet completed the formation of teams , held in suspense and athletes and spectators , especially when it comes to stars.

At the recent Russian national championship in figure skating, the results of which formed the national team in the sport , the Olympic champion Evgeni Plushenko of Turin took second place . This means that the only permit that was in Russia in the men's figure skating , went not to him but to the young Maxim Kovtun , winning the Russian championship . However, two weeks after the championship Evgeni Plushenko announced his possible participation in the Olympic Games in Sochi. Will the Russian Figure Skating Federation to choose ?

Figure skating coach , a confidant of the president of Russia Tatiana Tarasova commented in an interview doverennyelitsa.rf information about what to qualify for the Olympics in Sochi in addition to her apprentice Maxim Kovtun became eligible and Evgeni Plushenko . "I'm going to the Olympics in Sochi. With Helen Vodorezovoy we prepare to speak at the Winter Olympics in Sochi Maxim Kovtun . Every day we spend with him two or three workouts , and on Sunday we go to the European Championship . We fully live the life of an athlete. Plushenko statements about his possible involvement in the Olympics I have nothing to say . We have no reason to Maxim Kovtun did not speak at the 2014 Olympic Games , "- said Tatiana Tarasova .

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Plushenko statements about his possible involvement in the Olympics I have nothing to say . We have no reason to Maxim Kovtun did not speak at the 2014 Olympic Games , "- said Tatiana Tarasova .
Google translate didn't do it's best in this phrase. Should be read "did not participate" instead. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Wow. This is absolutely outrageous. He loses Nationals and then claims that its his right to be the sole Sochi representative? :unsure:

The bashing of Maxim and reminding them of Maxim's season last year are classless. Maxim has had experience of top competitions including the GPs, and the GPF this year. Reminding people of Maxim's Euros/Worlds is low... anyone want to remind him of how his FS went at Russian Nationals?

3 Olympics and three medals including gold and he says something like this. So selfish and messed up. :disapp:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's actually quite satisfying to see the Russ Fed hang themselves with their own rope :)

They brought this on themselves by not having clear parameters on how to decide the team. It's ridiculous that they haven't even named the ladies team yet.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well with Michelle she is a golden girl so she would just get a bye to the olympics even though she like Plushy did not medal at the world's previously

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Again?! At this point, I cannot decide which one I'd love more to see at the Olympics, Plushenko or Kovtun. So I'll just stay aside and see what the Russian Federation is going to do.

Does anyone know how the team competition works with one qualified skater in an event. so Russia has one man and that man designated for the team is the same man for the individual event. What happens, hypothetically, if in the team event or for clarity after the team event (I believe you can't replace someone during a competition ie. one skates the short and then the other long - unless you have qualfied more than one skater in the individual event) gets injured. Can the Russian Federation call up the next skater? So for example Plushy skates the team event; gets injured and then Kovutun skates the individual? Really this is kovtun's fault with his dreadful performance last year (along with Voronov I believe).

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Not that I'm on Plushenko's side or his fan by any means... but why is it so outrageous to some, if no longer than a month ago Takahashi was awarded an Olympic spot he also lost at his nationals? (to be clear, I love Takahashi)
The only difference I see here is that Plush demands the spot, whereas Daisuke was totally ready to accept staying at home.

Why don't they just send both to Europeans and tell them it is an ultimate test - whoever places better there, goes to Sochi?

rosacotton

Final Flight
Why don't they just send both to Europeans and tell them it is an ultimate test - whoever places better there, goes to Sochi?

Following Russian Nationals, the European team announced was Kovtun, Voronov, and Menshov. So I don't know if the fed can/would knock someone off the team to send Plushenko for a skate off.

bramweld

Record Breaker
^ It looks that way. He had the opportunity to go to EC but he passed it up. One can only assume that his body was not up to another test right before the Olympics. If only his temperament were more like Daisuke's they may have gone with him. But honestly, Kovtun earned it. If Plushenko wanted it he should have fought for the opportunity WHEN he had the chance.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Losing Russian nationals doesn't matter. The not skating anywhere else matters. When he dropped out of euros that was plushenkos retirement announcement.

lavender

Record Breaker
It would not have been outrageous if they gave Plushenko the spot outright even after the Nationals results. It's just the way things are panning out.

I don't want it, lose Nationals, still saying I don't want it, now I want it and I demand it.

gmyers

Record Breaker
After his euros announcement- obvious retirement- they probably already decided kovtun and told him and tarasova.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not that I'm on Plushenko's side or his fan by any means... but why is it so outrageous to some, if no longer than a month ago Takahashi was awarded an Olympic spot he also lost at his nationals? (to be clear, I love Takahashi)
The only difference I see here is that Plush demands the spot, whereas Daisuke was totally ready to accept staying at home.

Takahashi did not rant after Japanese Nationals before the team was named that he deserves to go to Sochi over Kozuka/Oda.

You do not see anything outrageous in Plushenko losing Russian nationals and then demanding a spot... and thus denying Kovtun - who won Russian nationals fair and square - from competing in Sochi?

Yes, they should send both to Europeans as a second ultimate test, and if Plushenko wanted to have a shot at Sochi after losing Russian nationals he shouldn't have taken himself off the Euro team.

YunaVN

Rinkside
I want Plushenko, not that lucky Maxim. Plushenko is powerful and graceful at the same time. and he is too a several times European Champs. Maxim... maybe only a few international medals. I d rather choose Plushenko

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place. OK... :disapp:

I would have been fine with Plushenko changes mind, demands Euro place (... to earn Sochi place)
If he's not willing to do that, then he shouldn't get to go to Sochi. It sometimes really is that simple.
Of course the Russian Federation could "kick someone (Menshov, 4th at RN) off the Euro team" if they wanted to. It wouldn't be the first time for Menshov to get pushed around.
I hope that no nore people are going to say this is all a misunderstanding because Plushy didn't know the rules.
Seriously, this is just nasty. :disapp: