Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko changes mind, demands Sochi place

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
"Plushenko" topics are discussed on many pages both on Russian and English-speaking boards :D

I think there's nothing to discuss yet.. This question will be solved completely in the lobby, because too many factors and interests are involved from both sides.
Anyway it's for sure that Kovtun has to skate more or less clear at Euros to have better chance for Olympics. His protector Tarasova is very powerful in Russian figure skating world, but she needs to show that Kovtun is able to achieve really good results.

Poor Kovtun... or mabe not if he succeeds at Europeans... :confused:

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Poor Kovtun...
I think he understood that it'll not be easy when he entered this battle :)
IMO, the purpose of such Plushenko's interviews is to make Kovtun feel nervous. But who knows, maybe exactly in such an atmosphere he'll be able to do his best?

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Can you imagine what a scary team Plushenko AND Tarasova might have been?
I know that would never happen after all that went down after Yagudin left Mishin for Tarasova, but given how both Plushenko and Tarasova are acting now, if they were a team, he would not only make it to the Olympics, but they'd probably both walk on the ice in regular boots, no blades necessary, and stand in front of the judges, stare them all down and demand the Olympic Gold Medal be handed to them since both their past achievements make it obvious that the Gold can only go to them. The competition would be redundant and beneath them. :unsure:
The funny part is: Some judges would actually wet their pants and consider giving in... :slink:

Would probably work under the 6.0 system.

Why does't Plushenko just accept that he lost the Sochi spot on the ice, fair and square? I mean a never say die attitude is good and all but gees...

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Why does't Plushenko just accept that he lost the Sochi spot on the ice, fair and square? I mean a never say die attitude is good and all but gees...
Just PR and nothing more. The only way to advertise himself for him is to participate in Sochi.

Wanda L.

Spectator
And Kovtun threw Menshov under the bus last year, too.

Before very hastily deleting the nasty tweets.

Kovtun's no angel. In fact, he makes for a pretty poor role model.

I´m agree with you.
Tarasova used her power and she made Kovtun represent Russia in European, rather than Menshov or Arthur G. Kovkun was in 17 place and for that reason Russia has only one place to Sochi. Skating young Kovtun is still inconsistent. Plushenko failed in the free program (R.N) and why Kovtun won for a few points of difference , otherwise Plushenko had won nationals. Plushenko is still the best skater in Russia. Plushenko should go to Sochi. Simple: he is the best choice for Russia yet. Plushenko 70% of his level is better than 100% Kovtun. Plushenko should retire in Sochi; he deserves it.

The only culprit is the Russian Federation, and now they have to solve problems caused by poor organization of the past.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If Kovtun nails the SP at Europeans, then he deserves to be in the team event at Olympics. If he doesn't, though, Plushenko should be sent. The most important thing for Russia is which man is most likely to skate a strong SP.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Confusing at best. And sad Plush can't make up his mind, and let it go. He should quietly retire, he has done it all....too bad he feels he needs to hang on....and I have enjoyed his career.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Confusing at best. And sad Plush can't make up his mind, and let it go. He should quietly retire, he has done it all....too bad he feels he needs to hang on....and I have enjoyed his career.

But Plush has made up his mind. He thought that they could have one skater for the team event, and another for the individual, so he chose the team event. Then when he was corrected, he said he'd do both. He also wanted to go to Euros, but it was Mishin who nixed that idea in favour of working on his programs and then going to a test skate.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Kovtun nails the SP at Europeans, then he deserves to be in the team event at Olympics. If he doesn't, though, Plushenko should be sent. The most important thing for Russia is which man is most likely to skate a strong SP.

So, you're saying it's fine if Plushenko skates the LP that he did at Russian nationals, as long as he skates the SP that he did?

gmyers

Record Breaker
He also wanted to go to Euros, but it was Mishin who nixed that idea in favour of working on his programs and then going to a test skate.

I still don't think this makes any sense!

As a coach and even as a skater they both know how important euros is!

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
I´m agree with you.
Tarasova used her power and she made Kovtun represent Russia in European, rather than Menshov or Arthur G. Kovkun was in 17 place and for that reason Russia has only one place to Sochi. Skating young Kovtun is still inconsistent. Plushenko failed in the free program (R.N) and why Kovtun won for a few points of difference , otherwise Plushenko had won nationals. Plushenko is still the best skater in Russia. Plushenko should go to Sochi. Simple: he is the best choice for Russia yet. Plushenko 70% of his level is better than 100% Kovtun. Plushenko should retire in Sochi; he deserves it.

The only culprit is the Russian Federation, and now they have to solve problems caused by poor organization of the past.
I have to correct you: he was the best Russian skater in the past, but he isn't any more. Nobody knows if he is still able to show his best. Last 2 times he failed competitions (Euro 2013, and Nationals), the only "success" was at competition in Riga (with no rivals). It's really huge risk to rely on Plushenko now, especially in team event.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I don't think its wrong to fight for a spot at Sochi, that's the type of athlete who wins medals after all. If you just accept everything in life, you wont get anywhere - you need to fight for it.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
well what do you know, Kovtun is the Menshov situation now
I guess it always comes back

What would Michelle Kwan do? What would Brian Boitano do?

What would Celine Dion do?

She would love Plushenko back to liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife (with platinum hip and knee replacements), love him back to LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!1!

They brought this on themselves by not having clear parameters on how to decide the team. It's ridiculous that they haven't even named the ladies team yet.

The team won't be named until after the European Championships.

Not that I'm on Plushenko's side or his fan by any means... but why is it so outrageous to some, if no longer than a month ago Takahashi was awarded an Olympic spot he also lost at his nationals? (to be clear, I love Takahashi)

The decision to send Takahashi to the Olympic Games when he lost to both Kozuka and Oda at Nationals and had a weaker season than Oda was outrageous, IMO. So would be sending Plushenko to Olympics when he lost Nationals and only did one competition this season (where he had no direct competitors and the marking was ridiculous).

sigrid

On the Ice
Just for the record, the Japanese Federation published their rules about how to choose the Olympic Team months ago. They have been transparent and Takahashi has earned his Oly spot. The Russian Fed, as usual, hasn't published any specific criteria.

Plushenko and Takahashi's cases aren't similar at all IMO

amc987

On the Ice
Plushenko needs to retire already. He has 3 Olympic medals including a gold. As it is, his chances of medaling in Sochi are about the same as Lysacek's- ZERO. Give the spot to Kovtun and be done with it. He can score way higher than Plushenko can internationally and he could benefit from the experience.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I don't think its wrong to fight for a spot at Sochi, that's the type of athlete who wins medals after all. If you just accept everything in life, you wont get anywhere - you need to fight for it.

Of course it's not wrong to "fight for a spot," but the way to do so is to show that you are the best choice to send by giving the best performances. Plushenko failed to do so at Russian nationals and refused another chance to do so at Euros, and is now complaining and trash-talking because a spot wasn't simply handed to him anyway. That's not fighting for a spot. That's acting entitled to one, regardless of whether he fights or how well.

As for the Takahashi situation, while it's debatable whether Dai is the best choice to send over Kozuka & Oda, I don't think the situations are identical. Takahashi has been proving himself with podium finishes in major international competitions over past few years, and he did win NHK this year. Plushenko's barely competed internationally throughout this entire quadrennium. And if Dai weren't chosen for the team, I don't see him making similar comments, and I doubt he'd be let off the hook here if he were.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Just for the record, the Japanese Federation published their rules about how to choose the Olympic Team months ago. They have been transparent and Takahashi has earned his Oly spot. The Russian Fed, as usual, hasn't published any specific criteria.

Plushenko and Takahashi's cases aren't similar at all IMO

I agree with you, but just to be specific: The Japanese Federation's published rules just described different criteria that would "get you on the list of candidates of whom the Japanese Federation can decide who goes". Those rules didn't describe at all what criteria would be considered more important for the final decision over another.
Takahashi, Kozuka and Oda all were on that list, and then the JF made their decision of who they wanted to get the 3rd spot between the 3. After the JN was over, there was a lot of nailbiting before the JF announced their decision.

You're absolutely right. And since Plushenko is a Figure Skater, he should fight on the ice. Meaning go to Euros. He's fighting by using words. :disapp:

According to his approach, then Katarina Witt, who's 48 years old now, could claim the German Spot. She's had great successes in the past, Nathalie Weinzierl (who's going to Sochi) didn't earn Germany more than 1 spot at last year's Worlds, and Witt wouldn't need to prove that she's better...

Apparently, when she came back in 1994, Witt was willing to put up with more pesky qualifying than Plushenko does now:
- she, Tanja Szewczenko and Marina Kielmann beat Simone Lang and Evelyn Grossmann (90'EC) at German Nationals for the 3 spots at Euros,
- she and Tanja Szewczenko beat Marina Kielmann (3rd at 93'EC and 4th at 94'WC) at Euros for the 2 German spots at Lillehammer
- she fulfilled the German NOC criterium of finishing within the top 8 at 94 Euros!

Not fulfilling any one of those 3 criteria would have meant no Olympics for the double Olympic Champion.

Plushenko failed the 1st criterium: winning Nationals. They gave him a second shot: to beat Kovtun at Euros, but he refused.
And now, just before Euros, he speaks rather than skate.
Does anyone know the deadline for Federations to change their entries for Euros? That list comprises Entries and Substitutes, so even if every Russian skater on that list said he's injured and withdraws, if Plushenko isn't on the list, he can't go.
Did Plushenko wait on purpose for this statement until it was too late for him to be allowed to go to Euros? :think: