What's next for Agnes Zawadzki, Samantha Cesario, and Courtney Hicks? | Golden Skate

What's next for Agnes Zawadzki, Samantha Cesario, and Courtney Hicks?

mao_da_artist

Rinkside
These 3 skaters were aiming for the 2014 Olympics and unfortunately that will probably not be happening. With the financial, emotional, and physical toll that skating can take, is it in their best interest to hang around?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The FS has yet to be skated, but there is life after the Olympics. Certainly Cesario and Hicks will continue on, and particularly Cesario has shown improvement. Zawadski is still young and I think she has potential even though this season was a setback.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sam doesn't have the TES needed to be competitive.
Agnes doesn't have the mentality of a winner.
Courtney doesn't have the PCS and consistency.

Courtney has the best chance at becoming a contender because PCS and consistency can be learned.
Mental toughness cannot be learned.
And TES requirement from Sam is just too much.

So here's the ranking from best to retirement
1. Courtney
2. Agnes
3. Sam

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Not a bad joke in my eyes. From all the angst, one would think the Long Program was over and National champions had been crowned.

Honestly, if I hadn't been paying attention, I would've thought Miss Illinois had already won the Miss America pageant.

Huuuu.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
A commentator on some network, I forget which one, said Agnes almost thought of retiring after last season but went back to Tom Z. instead. For that reason I think she might retire in 2014.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So many dreams and only three spots. Someone has to get lucky and win and someone loses. Mirai justhappens to be on the upswing but earlier on she would have been going back to her parents restaurant seeking work. Ice is so slippery. But folks there is the still freeskate andthings can change especially for Ashley though Gold has a pretty big lead.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
A commentator on some network, I forget which one, said Agnes almost thought of retiring after last season but went back to Tom Z. instead. For that reason I think she might retire in 2014.

Didn't they show an up close on Agnes a couple of years ago where it showed her living in a one bedroom apartment with her mother and grandmother, and her mother worked as a cleaning lady to make ends meet? Not sure what her funding is, but I think 2014 was her only year for skating. I would assume Hicks will continue, let's hope she overhauls her carriage and presentation. I know nothing about Cesario, but she has suddenly popped up on the radar this season in a big way (I remember her missing so many Nationals due to injury, so I know she's not a spring chicken). But I would assume if anyone dropped out it would be Agnes. Which would explain her reaction in the K/C.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
And.............. you win. :rofl:

I seriously don't get this joke. Anyone care to explain this to an old fogey? Are you making fun of the fact that the LP is not even a competition, and that Price-Waterhouse like the Oscars already has the team in an envelope somewhere? Unless *ba dum zing* is something kids are saying these days which I've never heard.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I seriously don't get this joke. Anyone care to explain this to an old fogey? Are you making fun of the fact that the LP is not even a competition, and that Price-Waterhouse like the Oscars already has the team in an envelope somewhere? Unless *ba dum zing* is something kids are saying these days which I've never heard.

The joke is ... there is no joke.

I just answered the (title) question literally--different in a way the OP probably intended. *Ba dum zing!* was just a bad onomatopeia of a drum set.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Both Agnes and Samantha seem to me to be skaters from another era. They come off as tough, "showgirl" types, like Nicole Bobek, Elaine Zayak and even Tonya H! I imagine the judges are punishing them for their image, since it seems ballerinas skating to piano concertos or violin pieces are in for the last several years (I'm not happy about it, since I find it sort of boring, to say the least).

Both would be excellent show skaters, if they still had all the shows around.
My guess is that they will be back next year, hair in a bun not a pony tail, skating to Sleeping Beauty or Romeo and Juliet or Sheherazade or Concerto for the violin and/or piano (any one). They won't be nearly as enjoyable to watch, but their pcs scores will rise. Probably Courtney, too.

Rachael will continue and Stanford, and Caroline? I don't know. She's the one I worry about the most. She and Mirai, I worry about picking up a People magazine someday and reading about their struggles after skating. They seem miserable and they don't seem to be in college or anything like that.

amc987

On the Ice
I see all three sticking around even if they don't make the team. This is Cesario's first year as a senior. She wasn't originally expected to be in the Olympic picture, so while it may be disappointing if she doesn't make it to Sochi, I don't think she'll call it a career. Hicks is still young and has had a lot of injury problems. I bet she'll want to have another few seasons of injury-free skating. Agnes has tons of potential. Maybe she could do an Ashley and move to a different coach who helps her more with the mental aspect of competing. She has everything she needs to be successful- big jumps, good spins, musicality- she just needs to have better speed, consistency and competitive fire.

Bord

Rinkside
Okay, a reality check. USFS is a machine. It generates substantial revenue and demands prime dollars in advertising compared to other winter sports. Gracie is the poster child for USA - she has the name, the look and the skill. Ashley doesn't endear herself to the public. Agnes may be a great skater - but her name and appeal don't market well. Mirai is inconsistent. Polina is not polished enough.
It is no longer a sport only - it is a business. Even the post performance interviews Gracie is golden - talking about dresses (retail $) and "girl stuff" - agencies are lining up - and USFS will reap the benefits.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I feel for Agnes- she really needs to get to a coaching/training situation that will bring out the best in her. I hope she's not done. I know she has money issues, but I sure wish she could go to Yuka Sato.

Pretty sure Hicks will stay in. She needs some polishing.

2axelqueen

Spectator

Tom Z already has the next 4 years planed out for her... Planted the seed in her brain before going to Nationals.... Dumb move.....
She is a good cash cow for him and he has lost too many skaters over the past 8 -10 years to let her go as well now that he has her back...
I don't think the USFSA will flip the bill for it tho....
If Wagner doesn't have a good skate tonight ,she doesn't deserve Olympic spot... So very tired of politics being plaid in this sport...less of a fan from event to event!!

flying camel

Medalist
I hope Cesario stays in. She has proven to be a good competitor. She may need to spend her summers with a jump coach. If skaters like Ashley, Carolina and Suzuki can improve their skating in their twenties I'm sure Cesario can also.
Does anyone know if she made Mistakes on some of her elements in the SP? Why such low scores on the layback and footwork. I would think it would be easier to get higher levels there.