Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's next for Agnes Zawadzki, Samantha Cesario, and Courtney Hicks?

Custom Title
    I see all three sticking around even if they don't make the team. This is Cesario's first year as a senior. She wasn't originally expected to be in the Olympic picture, so while it may be disappointing if she doesn't make it to Sochi, I don't think she'll call it a career. Hicks is still young and has had a lot of injury problems. I bet she'll want to have another few seasons of injury-free skating. Agnes has tons of potential. Maybe she could do an Ashley and move to a different coach who helps her more with the mental aspect of competing. She has everything she needs to be successful- big jumps, good spins, musicality- she just needs to have better speed, consistency and competitive fire.

Rinkside
    Okay, a reality check. USFS is a machine. It generates substantial revenue and demands prime dollars in advertising compared to other winter sports. Gracie is the poster child for USA - she has the name, the look and the skill. Ashley doesn't endear herself to the public. Agnes may be a great skater - but her name and appeal don't market well. Mirai is inconsistent. Polina is not polished enough.
    It is no longer a sport only - it is a business. Even the post performance interviews Gracie is golden - talking about dresses (retail $) and "girl stuff" - agencies are lining up - and USFS will reap the benefits.

Custom Title
    I feel for Agnes- she really needs to get to a coaching/training situation that will bring out the best in her. I hope she's not done. I know she has money issues, but I sure wish she could go to Yuka Sato.

Pretty sure Hicks will stay in. She needs some polishing.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    A commentator on some network, I forget which one, said Agnes almost thought of retiring after last season but went back to Tom Z. instead. For that reason I think she might retire in 2014.
    Tom Z already has the next 4 years planed out for her... Planted the seed in her brain before going to Nationals.... Dumb move.....
    She is a good cash cow for him and he has lost too many skaters over the past 8 -10 years to let her go as well now that he has her back...
    I don't think the USFSA will flip the bill for it tho....
    If Wagner doesn't have a good skate tonight ,she doesn't deserve Olympic spot... So very tired of politics being plaid in this sport...less of a fan from event to event!!

Custom Title
    I hope Cesario stays in. She has proven to be a good competitor. She may need to spend her summers with a jump coach. If skaters like Ashley, Carolina and Suzuki can improve their skating in their twenties I'm sure Cesario can also.
    Does anyone know if she made Mistakes on some of her elements in the SP? Why such low scores on the layback and footwork. I would think it would be easier to get higher levels there.

Custom Title
    I haven't followed Agnes particularly closely, but I got the impression (a couple years ago) that she doesn't handle disappointment very well. She seems to want success right away, and that skating isn't fun if she isn't winning medals. This is simply my perception of her, though. If she's not winning medals or getting to compete at Worlds, I don't see her continuing to 2018.

Custom Title
    It's obvious that Agnes has no self confidence to speak of. She gets down on herself when the mistakes come. The talent is there but she can't put it together.

Custom Title
    The SP was a well skated event and anyone who made any minor mistake was severely punished. Our best skater made a minor bobble and finds herself miles behind the lead and even trailing a skater no one outside of skating circles has heard of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2