Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Most popular boots/blades

Most popular boots/blades

What are the most popular/best blades right now?

I've worn harlicks and phantoms in the past, just wondering how popular they are currently. Are there cheaper brands that are the same quality?

I suppose Wilson and MK are always going to be the standard. I use Gold Star Revolutions. Expensive but I love them. The Revolution blades seem to be gaining in popularity. Several elites skaters have switch to them this season. Where I'm at a lot people use Ultima especially the Matrix blades. They are cheaper and don't have to be sharpened as often but some people don't like them. There's also an issue with lift angle being lower than the blades they are supposed to be equivalent to. Paramounts also seem to be very popular. As far as I've heard they have the best quality control and their profiles do match the equivalent Wilson/MK blades. Never really heard that much about the less popular brands like Eclispe and Skate Science.

Rinkside
    I mostly agree with jennyanydots. Except with regards to Eclipse blades: they're tremendously popular in my area.

Boots:
    • Jackson
    • GAM
    • Riedell
    • Risport
    • Harlick

Blades:
    • Eclipse
    • Jackson
    • MK
    • John Wilson
    • Paramount

Rinkside
    At my rink Reidell by far is the most popular (possibly because we live fairly close to the factory?) then Jackson's and sometimes rarely you can find someone with Sp Teri.

As for blades Wilson and Mk blades are most common and you can find some people either eclipse blades. I know that my coach recommends Wilson blades and skaters that do have hem usually have pattern 99s or the Coronation Ace.

I myself skate in Pattern 99/Reidell skates

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm from the province of Quebec, and I can tell you Jackson Matrix blades and Edea skates have become very popular here !

Edeas are pretty popular since we formerly had an Olympic competitor at our rink who wears them.

For blades, Paramount seems to be the blade of choice. I think they're way too noisy on the ice. Some judges will say they can pick out a skater on Paramounts just by the sound they make on the ice.

Custom Title
    At my rink, Edeas were "in" a couple of years back. My daughter never switched to Edeas so I have not first hand experience - this is just what I was told. Everyone love them at first because there was no "break in" period. However, a couple of months after most skaters got them, they started to have problems with them. The issue was on doubles jumps and higher, skaters could not get the laces tight enough so they had to tape their boots to get the fit they wanted. As soon as the skater outgrew the boots and/or broke them down, most looked for another brand.

I would say that at this point, the most common boots at my rink are Jacksons. You also see people in Ridells, Risport, Edeas, and Graf(??).

For blades, I think each coach prefers a different one depending on the skater's level so the pro shop orders based on the coach's requests. I regularly see JW Gold Seals to MK Professionals to Eclipse. And those are just what I recognize.

I thought a Paramount blade was a type of blade, not brand.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by concorde View Post
    At my rink, Edeas were "in" a couple of years back. My daughter never switched to Edeas so I have not first hand experience - this is just what I was told. Everyone love them at first because there was no "break in" period. However, a couple of months after most skaters got them, they started to have problems with them. The issue was on doubles jumps and higher, skaters could not get the laces tight enough so they had to tape their boots to get the fit they wanted. As soon as the skater outgrew the boots and/or broke them down, most looked for another brand.
    I agree. I have Edea Concerto and the laces are always getting too loose. At the beginning, i LOVED them, but after only a season i realize they are not stiff enough, but once taped it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by concorde View Post
    I thought a Paramount blade was a type of blade, not brand.
    No, it's a brand. http://www.paramountskates.com/

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FS.Addict View Post
    I agree. I have Edea Concerto and the laces are always getting too loose. At the beginning, i LOVED them, but after only a season i realize they are not stiff enough, but once taped it's okay.
    Both PChan and Hanyu are using Edea.

^^^
    They are in the Ice Fly model. Also, Gracie Gold is in them and she is getting a new pair as needed as she is one of their "spokespeople"

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    ^^^
    They are in the Ice Fly model. Also, Gracie Gold is in them and she is getting a new pair as needed as she is one of their "spokespeople"
    Yes i think that makes a big difference. Like i said i absolutely LOVED these boots. If i had 700$ to spend every six months (or new boots given me every 6 months) i'd be really happy :D But i don't, so... My next boots probably won't be Edea.

On Instagram i saw a picture of Patrick Chan with four pairs of skates. Yeah... I think he probably gets new skates every few months hahaha :P

I think Gracie goes through a pair every 2-3 months

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by FS.Addict View Post
    On Instagram i saw a picture of Patrick Chan with four pairs of skates. Yeah... I think he probably gets new skates every few months hahaha :P
    Something like that.. MK once posted a picture of something like 4 pairs of blades they sent to him - I imagine he has numerous pairs set up and ready to go, rather than just dealing with that "as needed".

Rinkside
    I heard that everyone who won a medal at the Olympics, outside of the team event, won on MK or John Wilson blades. Is that true? Pretty impressive if it is, I'm surprised they're not exposing that more. Might need to switch blades! Saw a lot of Risport and Edea boots too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast