Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom Boots

Rinkside

Custom Boots

None of my coaches have been able to figure this out but maybe one of you have had this problem. My edges are too deep. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo but my legs and upper-body are totally upright and my foot from the ankle down are flexed on a deep outside edge. It was originally thought that my feet were supinating. My blade was adjusted to accommodate this even though my doctor said my feet were fine for the average person but my arch is too high for a figure skating boot. It was also thought I had weak ankles but I went to physical therapy for this and the therapist said my ankles were pretty strong. I've not had this problem with other sports I play such as track and field, ballet, gymnastics, and tennis. I have had this problem in the past with ill fitting hockey skates. Now that I am changing my edge in my spins and practicing spinning in both directions I find both my inside and outside edges are too deep. I've had boots that didn't cause this problem in the past but they weren't the correct size (my foot slipped out of my boot when I was doing a jump). One of my coaches suggested I go in person to Klingbeil and get customs. Before I embark on this expense I would like to know if there is an extra custom feature I should ask about getting.

Oh by the way, I have hyper-mobility in most of my joints (not all) if that makes any difference.

photo

Custom Title
    Not quite sure how to answer your question however I do have a supination problem and Klingbeils were the only boots I could really use. LOVED them!

Klingbeil is defunct other than crappy rental skates. If you are going to look into customs, Harlick, SP Teri, Reidell, and Jackson.

I tend to overprone (turn my feet out) as well as having a wide toebox. I wore Riedell's for years, and then switched to custom Klingbeil's and loved them.
    I would suggest looking into Graf and Edea skates. Esp. Edea, as they can be customized easily.

Rinkside
    Thank you all for the responses. Very helpful. I got the email from Klingbeil about them closing their doors. I'm getting ready to order Edea skates.

Rinkside
    Klingbeil is NOT defunct. They got bought & relocated to Manhattan. For a time it was LOOKING like they'd go completely out of business, but they are still in business. http://klingbeilusa.com/

There's a recent email that they are NOT taking new customers or orders from existing customers and their master boot maker left for a new company started by Bill Fauver. As far as I can tell from everything I've read, they are NOW defunct.

Rinkside
    Oh dear. That's terrible news. They'd gone to so much trouble to get all their equipment & lasts & employees to the new location. . . I guess I should cherish the customs I have (and am very glad to have gotten in Jan 2012 before all the cafuffle began).

Custom Title
    It is not terrible news. Serves them right. My last order was so disappointing that I would never ever order from them again (and I had several pairs of customs boots from them over the years). They just couldn't put my last order right and wanted more and more money. I wish they would bankrupt so that that there is no more dishonest boot makes around. It is too much money to loose for custom boots that are no fit for the purpose.

On the Ice
    Edeas are not THE best if you have strange feet, but you didn't mention physically strange feet...
    i've had two pairs of custom-built jacksons... (actually 3 but the 2nd pair was useless) and that was only because i have bad bunions, really small ankles, and the typical asian duck foot...
    if you are looking for a good skate person, ask around your rink(s), there are bound to be very competitive people/ kids who know who's great and who's not
    best of luck!

On the Ice
    I know this thread is about custom boots. But I've had more than my share of boot 'issues' and I've recorded every boot adjustment trick that I've picked up in the last 7 years. I have nothing for supination. Just pronation. Sorry.
    Super-fitting your boots: http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/20...your-boot.html
    A tip for loose heels: http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/20...t-ii-heel.html
    (I have to have custom width tongues. Once I got those extra wide tongues it completely changed my skating, but it took years to find a fitter who pointed out that I needed them. It's an easy fix even on old skates.)
    I'm so obsessed with boot fit I have my own boot fitting tool to punch out bunions.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Klingbeil is a sad story ... I feel so badly for the family, having had the distinct pleasure of having custom skates fitted on my kid by Don himself in the old Jamaica store. Anyways. When Klingbeil was going "down" for the 1st time (bankrupt, looking for a buyer) - we switched to Harlicks as they were able to offer a solid boot similar to the Klingbeil that our kid had been wearing for years. We ended up happier with the Harlick boot than we were with the Klingbeil; the fit was excellent, and the quality of the material is outstanding. The heel height was slightly higher than the Klings, which were a bit of a transition (we could have gotten a Kling heel height, but, coach was comfortable with the change). We also had the boots completely rebuilt a year ago for under $100 by Harlick themselves, and they are still going strong. Great value for the dollar.

On the Ice
    Over at skatingforums.com there's a long thread about Klingbeil. If you go to the last post you'll find the latest info about Klingbeil.
    http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=5855.0

I just want to mention that boot companies don't seem to last more than a couple of generations. Anyone remember Oberhamer? (SPTeri is doing okay)

Custom Title
    I think all of the boot makers (SP Teri, Harlick, Jackson, etc.) are suffering right now due to the sudden popularity of Edeas.

On the Ice
    what vlaurend said is pretty true, but remember that the rest of the world (mainly the eastern hemisphere minus japan and other foreign skaters that train in america/ canada) still favor the old leather boots... jackson is still loved by many. Riedell is also pretty popular... Harlicks are iffy- i've heard they're only good for dance and special feet...

Edeas aren't too much lighter than regular boots. My skate guy showed me that most of the weight cut is in the blades. Regular vs. hollow omigod the difference was huge...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast