Thread: Landing Axel help?

0 Not allowed!

Landing Axel help?

I've been able to land my Axel semi consistently before. My only major problem was my left arm kept dropping. All of a sudden I've been two footing my landings, under closer inspection it turns out I land my Axel on one foot and drag the other foot through which causes my body to break at the waist. Any tips for pushing my leg through the landing??

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest practicing the waltz jump – loop jump combination to get comfortable with checking out on the landing.
    When you land, “punch back” with your free leg as you get your upper body in the checked out position. Then progress into the same feeling when you jump your axel.

You much keep that upper body erect in the checked position when you land and not let either arm drop so stay conscious of that (sounds like you are).

If there is a harness at your rink your coach could lock you into it and you could practice the jump that way.

Landing on two feet can become too comfortable. Sometimes you just have to bite-the-bullet and decide to land on one foot, even if you fall. Because eventually you won't fall.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

0 Not allowed!
    I will probably do that. I've been working on my landing positions. I'm just frustrated because I had it down before and now this problem arises. I have a competition next Friday and I hope to have at least made progress in my problem.

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, gillette47 I understand completely.
    I remember when I first got my axel and thought "wow, I got it!" only to have it disappear the next week, then come back the next. Finally, it became consistent. Just keep at it!

1 Not allowed!
    Axel-loops and Axel-toe loops are helpful

Kdrama Novice

1 Not allowed!
    Axel = most expensive jump to master!

It helped my daughter to do off ice axels as well.

0 Not allowed!
    My coach said the same thing...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that's how I got started but I've been so used to doing them on ice I need speed to produce a good jump now

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Axel-loops and Axel-toe loops are helpful
    I agree. Your left arm is probably still dropping, and your entire left side dropping with it. If you do a toe loop or loop right after the axel, you will keep your left arm up and checked in front of you and keep the left hip high in anticipation of the second jump takeoff.