Thread: Going down a level in blades

Tripping on the Podium

Going down a level in blades

I have a brand new pair never worn/sharpened Coronation Ace parabolic blades - an intermediate blade. They are the correct size for my daughter's new boots (Riedell silver). The have a 7ft rocker and 7/16th radius of hollow.

Currently she is in Ultima Supremes - considered an "advanced" blade.

Will stepping down a level in blade effect her skating? (juvenile level)

Coaches are okay with trying, my daughter says the toe pick on the Ace is much bigger and she thinks she will catch it. She will have to adjust to the rocker change (she has had 7ft before).

thoughts? Would you sell the Ace and put the money towards the Supreme again? or do you think the Ace will be fine for doubles/learning triples?

Custom Title
    What rocker is on her current blades? Every skater has some preferences, someone prefers rocker 7 and someone rocker 8. If someone is used to rocker 8 and suddenly starts on rocker 7, they may feel like being very unstable (constantly rocking forward/backwards) and that can be a bit of a problem when skating (and landing jumps). Rocker 8 is supposed to be more stable because the blade is not as curved. On the other hand, someone being used to rocker 7 may find it difficult to spin with rocker 8 because the blade is flatter. Some skaters adjust quicker, some take ages. I wouldn't probably worry about her catching the toe pick (at her level she should be able to cope with the toe pick) but adjusting to a different rocker can be hard. I probably wouldn't worry as much about getting from advanced blades to intermediate blades, but about whether it involve the change of rockers.

ETA: Ups, just noticed that you mentioned that she will have to change the rocker. Hmmmm...well, you can try it. The worse can happen is that you will sell them and get different ones... I changed from 8 to 7 and my spins miraculously improved. But I heard plenty of stories about people changing from 8 to 7 and feeling extremely unstable...

Tripping on the Podium
    She had a 7ft rocker 2 years ago. It was the MK Pro. It is hard to know how long it took to adjust to the rocker change because at the same time she had to adjust for new boots.

My biggest worry is going from advanced level blades to intermediate level. Aside from rocker, I don't know how they differ.