Thread: Sprained ankle, when to get back?

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!

Question Sprained ankle, when to get back?

I'm currently in the basic skills program so I'm not doing anything that's going to really put pressure on my ankle, but I sprained it a week ago and though it hurts a little to move I can definitely move it a lot more than before without pain and I am able to stand on just the injured foot without falling over. I have lessons on Wednesdays and already missed a class, when is the best time for me to go back?

The land of SnuggleBat and Cuddlepie

1 Not allowed!
    While you are still having pain, I would not go back. It's no good to rush back and then hurt yourself more.

0 Not allowed!
    Karne is right. I sprained my ankle a month ago and was just able to go back on the ice today (with specific limitations). It's better to be safe than sorry. If there is still pain and swelling I would caution against going back too soon. How stable are you going to feel on skates if you are still having problems off ice?

Kdrama Novice

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on the severity of the sprain, but if it hurts you should wait. Are you in PT in the meanwhile?

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    If you haven't been assessed by a physio therapist, that should be your next step.

Often family physician's tend to be dismissive of sprains in my experience and won't refer you to a physio unless you specifically say that:

1. You are an athlete in a sport where ankle stability is crucial

2. You are seeking an assessment and guidance on when it is safe to return to training, as well as an exercise plan for rehabilitation if needed..

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGee View Post
    If you haven't been assessed by a physio therapist, that should be your next step.

Often family physician's tend to be dismissive of sprains in my experience and won't refer you to a physio unless you specifically say that:

1. You are an athlete in a sport where ankle stability is crucial

2. You are seeking an assessment and guidance on when it is safe to return to training, as well as an exercise plan for rehabilitation if needed..
    Agree totally. Go to a good PT and do your exercises religiously. I worked a lot of edges when I got back--it was good for range of motion. Didn't jump for a while but ended up with stronger basics. Hang in there!

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! I will take your advice. Even though my ankle is feeling a ton better now and im able to walk with only the slightest bit of pain (rarely) I can see myself recovering quickly due to it being fairly minor. Hopefully I'll be back on the ice soon!