Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Canadian Nationals Senior Men's Sp

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SGrand View Post
    Yes, I think Chan was overscored too, doing 2 doubles. But I don't think Reynolds should be in front. Or Firus. Kevin had too many mistakes too and is all over the place with his body (sorry, his arms were driving me mad).
    Yes, all men made mistakes! Chan should be first, but not with such a difference. He is to many points ahead with such a flawed program. He may fell twice in his LP and still win. That's not good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    This is just a complete guess, but maybe the music deduction is only if the music itself goes beyond the time limit, and not if the skater ends a bit afterwards?

I really enjoyed Kevin's ACDC program (although the skate itself left something to be desired)!
    But that wouldn't make any sense - who would program their music to end after the max. time?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    Was Patrick supposed to get a music deduction? He finished after the music ended.
    I believe the time deduction only applies if the skate stops more than 5 seconds past the time limit (or before). I haven't seen the skate, but perhaps Patrick was under this time?

Congratulations, Jeremy Abbott. You just beat Patrick Chan in the short program at _____ Nationals. So did you, Richard Dornbush.

Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    I believe the time deduction only applies if the skate stops more than 5 seconds past the time limit (or before). I haven't seen the skate, but perhaps Patrick was under this time?
    That's quite a bad rule, 5 seconds is way too long of a buffer. It was pretty awkward watching him spin to nothing at the end.

Also, does anyone know if that's Kevin Reynold's actual costume? Is it not completed? It just looks like he's wearing his practice clothes. He better not be showing up in Sochi in THAT.

I thought it was only 3 seconds?

either way skaters do go over from time to time. Normally when the crowd is so loud that the skaters lose the music and timing. Michelle Kwan had that happen at one of her last World Competitions IIRC.

Custom Title
    Well it really looks like Chan is not looking good for Sochi the errors and poppping or outright missing jumps isn't good. He should have the lutz in his back pocket as it is key to his long - he doesn't have the big tricks like Fernandez and Hanyu. He might not medal. Boy is there a dog fight for second and third. I give Kevin credit for trying; what a horrible year now trying to compete. I am not totally convinced Liam can hold on to a spot. My gut says Balde though I am cheering for Ten - he musically and artistically always seemed ot have so much hope but he needs to land those jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Congratulations, Jeremy Abbott. You just beat Patrick Chan in the short program at _____ Nationals. So did you, Richard Dornbush.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    I feel Firus skated like Patrick in some way, the nice edges.
    The fact that he didn't have a quad and fell on his 3A and yet came second, speaks volumes of the quality of his skating skills.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    The fact that he didn't have a quad and fell on his 3A and yet came second, speaks volumes of the quality of his skating skills.
    its called inflated chanfraud marks

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Anything which does not suit your fancy is fraud. Grow up, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Say it with me: Nationals.

Now let's spell it: N-A-T-I-O-N-A-L-S.

Inflation and Nationals are not mutually exclusive, no matter how much anyone wants them to be.

Inflation happens everywhere, like pollution.

Everywhere.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by caelum View Post
    The clock starts when a skater starts moving and stops when he stops moving. So even if he didn't finish skating with music but he ended his element within the time limit, there's no deduction.
    For example, a skater has 2:40 music for max 2:50 program. Then he has 10 seconds buffer.

That was bad. I actually don't think Chan's score compared to the rest of the field is all that wrong, considering the skaters behind him made major errors, too. I sure hope the men perform better today, though.

Custom Title
    great descriptive posts, sgrand. thank you. I so wish that these skates were easily accessible on the internet for re-watching and re-watching.

regarding Chan, even though he did not skate his best, I still felt he "had it" and if he is going to have anything off, it can be here where he has a cushion. the majestic composure was still there, imo. the commentators (Black and Wilson) mentioned that Chan sometimes get affected by the change in rink size for his triples. he practices on an olympic sized rink and a hockey-sized rink, as is the one in Ottawa, is smaller, and it sometimes causes him to mal-adjust. the music timing issue did not bother me so much because that stuff happens due to circumstance.

with reynolds, i thought they propped up his score (in relation to the other skaters). i really felt badly for him when they screwed up his music. i know stuff like this is part of the sport but that would throw, I think, especially someone of reynold's temperament off. as one of the other members posted here, I too wondered if that was his costume or his practice outfit he was wearing, but then I thought it could be an outfit to re-enforce the AC/DC theme. AC/DC Back in Black (album and song). But I still wondered.

i am so proud of these kids, all of them for just being there, and giving everything they have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast