Senior Ladies FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies FS

Kissx3

Final Flight
I am way too happy right now. Overjoyed.

But despite all the history people bring up, can they really leave Ashley home? After the last two years especially, literally right up until this one competition, it makes no sense.

But I don't want Mirai to get screwed. That would be the absolute worst.

Amei

Record Breaker
Okay - Gracie's dress is ugly, I liked the one from the GP better.

It's interesting that they are now making a point of saying: placement at Nationals doesn't guarantee Olympics - I think Polina or Mirai are going to get left off :cry:

travelbug

Rinkside
Mirai's reaction when she realized she was in 2nd was great! Assured a medal - not many thought she'd even be near the top!

Gracie's interaction with Frank before going out there was sweet. Just to do what she does every day. To do her job.

(Ashley is holding up remarkably well backstage having to have now just seen two who at least one could have well have been expected to crumble enough to give her room both do quite well)

Going to be interesting to see what the committee does with all this...

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
YEAAAHHH!!! I'm so happy for Mirai!!!!
My wish come true, Mirai will go to the Olympic and defend her 4th place finisher!

We will have a bond girl at the Olympic, so cool :)

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Just to be clear this is how the US Figure Skating chooses its Olympic team. Multiple events are used to determine the team as opposed to the best performers ar nationals. The following events are listed in priority order:

-2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
-2013 ISU Grand Prix Final
-2013 World Figure Skating Championships
-2013 Grand Prix Series Competitions
-2013 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
-2013 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
-2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Oh Ashley.

Either way, someone's going to be heartbroken. Either Ashley or whoever is left off for her.

guanchi

On the Ice
Wow wow wow!!!
A star is born
OMG- 211!!!
Gracie is the star the USFSA has been dreaming about.
That was incredible- she looked like princess Aurora after finishing the grueling rose adagio- hey, but no sweat!:eek:
She is def. a medal contender in sochi, and not just for bronze.

avantgardener

Rinkside
The Hand of Marta Karolyi

Can someone please explain when it was decided that the Olympic teams would be picked by a committee, à la the gymnastics selection process? Obviously, when placements at that year's nationals dictate the Olympic team, the pressure for judges to prop up certain skaters is higher. But, I mean... isn't a major appeal of these nationals during an Olympic year the idea that an underdog might overcome the odds to have that skate of a lifetime when it most counts and *earn* a spot on the Olympic team?

Hrmpf.

--Michael

Tesla

Final Flight
Orbitz on FSU suggested Ashley, Mirai, and Gracie for Olympics and sending Polina to Worlds. I think this is the best scenario. Ashley has more than earned her spot based on the above criteria.

travelbug

Rinkside
Mirai's reaction was SO precious!

But just as much, Gracie's! Loved when you could see she realized she had done it! But equally so, Frank's reaction. His little quivering chin, as he was biting his lip and trying not to let it show, was so endearing. So sweet - especially since he usually stays quite stoic!

I wonder if Nicks being around would have done for Ashley what it sure seemed like FC's does for Gracie?

That said, after months of build up and endless media sources saying the US had a medal possibility at the Olympics in Ashley. Most also mentioned Gracie's presumptive inclusion on the team, saying nothing was set until Nationals, etc.

Many articles have even set Olympians to watch in Sochi lists. Even more came out when Lindsey Vonn had to drop out last week. Nearly every list had Ashley on it, many even high on that list. It will be interesting to see what they do now, even if Ashley makes the US team.

Even if she goes, going in no longer as reigning US National Champion, but not even a medalist, it's hard to think that that isn't going to impact things at the Olympics to some extent. Though she does have more to fall back on than the other three.

As much as what the committee decides to do, seeing how the media - NBC in particular - go forward from here about Ladies skating at the Olympics and whoever gets sent. There'd be next to nothing on Polina from seniors, Mirai has had moments of brilliance but has largely been a non-factor the last four years, and Gracie does have more going into this to stand on than Polina, but not a whole, whole lot. Yet they've got to build a good, heart-warming story on them during the Olympics, never mind to keep interest in US figure skating going (since unfortunately, ice dance, especially, doesn't have nearly the following it should!)

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Although I firmly believe that Wagner deserves a spot on the Olympic team, the committee has a tough decision to make. If Polina came in 3rd place rather than 2nd, replacing her with Wagner would have been a simple decision.

madibe

On the Ice
Very surprised Mirai was given such a high score in the free. Her program had no choreography and it's doubtful the international judges will be as forgiving.