Senior Ladies FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies FS

ranjake

Final Flight
Orbitz on FSU suggested Ashley, Mirai, and Gracie for Olympics and sending Polina to Worlds. I think this is the best scenario. Ashley has more than earned her spot based on the above criteria.
So agree!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gracie -- wow! So happy for her! I really like her skating and she is seeming more natural by the performance.

Ashley -- never been a huge fan but am heartbroken for her.

Mirai -- hurray! Still think she could show more life, and also PLEASE, Mirai, finish your moves, esp. in your arms. Don't just let your arms flop/drop as you finish your jumps and elements. Makes things look half-hearted.
Still, so happy to see this Mirai.

Polina -- despite the technical arsenal, just looks juniorish to me. Can't get excited about her yet -- will be fun to see her develop.

Despite what is "on paper" about the Olympic team selection process, the team will be the 1,2, and 3 finishers. Gracie, Polina, Mirai. I think that's what USFS and the athletes want, and anyway, if they did it otherwise, they'd be open to lawsuits.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sorry if I have to choose between Ashley and Mirai, I want Ashley to go to Sochi. History should not repeat.

I hope Gracie dynasty has begun, to end the long years of top American lady without a 3-3.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I don't know what to tell you. Ashley was terrible. She was beaten fair and square. If it were my decision alone, I wouldn't bump anyone for that performance.

I think that if they decide to give someone a bye based on winning a medal at the GPF--which I have no problem with--it should be decided before Nationals. That way, if nothing else, the contenders know how many spots are available, and that the person who comes in 3rd probably won't be moving on.

The sad fact is, Ashley is not a former world champion or Olympic medalist, like Daisuke Takahashi. She is probably not likely to medal at the Olympics. I can see what the rationale would be to put her on the team, but in my opinion, that would be a mistake. She blew it.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
2010 all over again. I was okay with the fall on the 3toe, but she just wasn't into it. She was two footing the whole program. I literally started tearing up when she fell on the loop. Hmmm. I'm so glad I wasn't there to see it live. It's heartbreaking.

The only solution I have is above: Olympics- Gold, Nagasu, Wagner Worlds-Gold, Edmunds, Nagasu

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Just to be clear this is how the US Figure Skating chooses its Olympic team. Multiple events are used to determine the team as opposed to the best performers ar nationals. The following events are listed in priority order:

-2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
-2013 ISU Grand Prix Final
-2013 World Figure Skating Championships
-2013 Grand Prix Series Competitions
-2013 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
-2013 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
-2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final

It's one of those things that makes complete sense to base it off of multiple events, but no matter what someone's going to be upset and it stinks.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gracie -- wow! So happy for her! I really like her skating and she is seeming more natural by the performance.

Ashley -- never been a huge fan but am heartbroken for her.

Mirai -- hurray! Still think she could show more life, and also PLEASE, Mirai, finish your moves, esp. in your arms. Don't just let your arms flop/drop as you finish your jumps and elements. Makes things look half-hearted.
Still, so happy to see this Mirai.

Polina -- despite the technical arsenal, just looks juniorish to me. Can't get excited about her yet -- will be fun to see her develop.

Despite what is "on paper" about the Olympic team selection process, the team will be the 1,2, and 3 finishers. Gracie, Polina, Mirai. I think that's what USFS and the athletes want, and anyway, if they did it otherwise, they'd be open to lawsuits.

RABID

Final Flight
Very surprised Mirai was given such a high score in the free. Her program had no choreography and it's doubtful the international judges will be as forgiving.

Exactly. What would be the point of sending her to Sochi with that, garbage?

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
When will we know the decision? I for one am for Ashley going. She has the resume.
I have been here all week, and I got to see the skating live. Polina was lovely, but very juniorish. I can't imagine her placing well at the Olympics. Just my two cents. :)

travelbug

Rinkside
For those of us who didn't get to see Rachael's skate, if someone has it would you please post a link to it somewhere? I'd love to see her last skate (in competition).

And I realize this is petty, but in watching T & J talking before the Ladies FS (on NBC's broadcast) I'm totally curious. Has Tara had surgery? Or her wisdom teeth just out (though that seems possible given all the talking she was going and how many days she's been in Boston!) Or maybe it's just me...but her cheeks looked totally huge and swollen to me. Am I seeing things? Or did I miss something? And yes, as I said, I realize it's petty I just was so shocked when I looked up and saw her!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Right now is about the time I wish Nagasu was still with Frank Carroll. Who is going to politik for her???? Or I wish she had an attorney father like a former Olympian who was on the cusp due to a controversial decision. I think Nagasu is going to be the sacrificial lamb, though Polina really should be the one. She's not the skater the others are. Yet. She'll be great, but just jumps shouldn't just get you to Olys since she'll do nothing there. I can't imagine what the committee is thinking. This is reminding me of gymnastics when Kim Kelly (?) in 88(?)/92(?) who made the team was voted off due to a 'committee decision' in favor of an athlete or two who ended up doing nothing at the Games anyway but had good past results.

ingofan1

Rinkside
According to Christine Brennan of USA today Ashley is going to be picked on her body of work according to her souces who spoke anomity..USFSA has stated that all week that was the criteria.There is also something different this the Team concept to take in consideration.Ashley just had an off night.

cornell08

Final Flight
Couldn't they use Pairs & Ladies event as the one where the 'substitutions' kick in for singles vs team?

Krislite

Medalist
Okay - Gracie's dress is ugly, I liked the one from the GP better.
[...]

All the girls aspiring for a medal are wearing blue dresses. Makes me wonder if Kostner herself will change her Bolero costume to blue...

Kissx3

Final Flight
I'm feeling now that Ashley is looking likely to be left off the team. USFSA has never liked to get blood on their hands in such a way and it's harsh but true that Ashley is likely fighting for a top five berth at best. I don't know. Given that this is how things have always been done it seems the most understandable way to protect hurt feelings or any other negatives (lawsuits?). tbh, though, if Polina's PCs had been anywhere in the same zipcode of what she pulls in jrs they wouldn't have this mess to deal with at all.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
According to Christine Brennan of USA today Ashley is going to be picked on her body of work according to her souces who spoke anomity..USFSA has stated that all week that was the criteria.There is also something different this the Team concept to take in consideration.Ashley just had an off night.

Alright, see I completely disagree with you. I love Ashley, her skating, her attitude, etc. But this was NOT an off night. An "off night" would be Kwan in 1997 Nationals. You can tell when someone for whatever reason (a cold, flu, or sheer panic, etc) has an off night. Ashley was into the program, and muffed up most of her jumps. It didn't seem to be an off night as much as a "Damn I didn't do it!" night. I am sad to say this, but she did not earn it. Again. The thrill of victory and agony of defeat thing....

dlarry1

Rinkside
Exactly. What would be the point of sending her to Sochi with that, garbage?
Wouldn't have put it exactly that way, but I agree. No transitions, little choreography, and the Olympic judges' last memory of a Bond program had energy, commitment, and a skater who seemed like she cared. I just don't see anything about Mirai that suggests she could fight for a medal. At least Polina has the TES to fight for top 8. Her presentation isn't far behind the Russian girls to whom she is compared. Don't we also have to look to the future as well?