Senior Ladies FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies FS

Marney0612

Spectator
I think that in 1996 although Rudy won nationals, Todd Elderidge won worlds and he was given the Skate America slot over Rudy as the highest worlds finisher. I don't know that Rudy being passed over for Skate America caused his retirement, but I vaguely recall that it may have contributed to it. I think there have been other times when the USFS has chosen the highest worlds finisher over the highest nationals finisher for Skate America.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I think that in 1996 although Rudy won nationals, Todd Elderidge won worlds and he was given the Skate America slot over Rudy as the highest worlds finisher. I don't know that Rudy being passed over for Skate America caused his retirement, but I vaguely recall that it may have contributed to it. I think there have been other times when the USFS has chosen the highest worlds finisher over the highest nationals finisher for Skate America.

:rolleye: The Skate America Slot were actually 3 slots. The USA sent 3 skaters to Skate America in October 1996: the top 3 men who hadn't retired. Galindo would have gotten a spot as the second US Male Skater if he hadn't retired.
As amusing as I find all those different wild unfounded theories, how about this one: Galindo was the oldest US Figure Skating Champion in 70 years.
He reached his peak and won the US Championships after finishing 8th; 10th; 11th; 8th; 5th; 7th; 8th in the previous years.
He won the Bronze Medal at Worlds, when in the previous years he always failed to even make it to Worlds. He obviously thought it was the perfect time to retire.
What ever happened to checking your facts before accusing of someone being "passed over" or, as brightphoton put it, "blatant discrimination?"

I don't remember if it was zero GP assignments, someone will have to check up on that, but I do know that he was not given Skate America following his US championships win. Blatant discrimination.
My question would be why did he turn pro right afterwards? We'll never know but it's suspicious. It's unheard of for a champ to retire like that. Probably some anonymous spokesman tipped him off that he wouldn't do Skate America if he did stick around, so why even bother.
omg

mskater93

Record Breaker
I liked my answer better as it makes more sense than ridiculous conspiracy theories. He got a great offer of $$$$ for pro skating because at the time, COI was going strong and he was a sentimental favorite of many long time skating fans. He was older (I believe almost 29) and was tired of living day to day trying to make it as a competitive skater where he couldn't even afford a car and biked everywhere. Also, I suspect he thought he had lightening in a bottle that year and thought any results which were worse would be bad for potential COI or SOI

ozmodiar

On the Ice
As I recall, the 1996 Grand Prix assignments did come out and Rudy was not assigned to Skate America, probably because the USFSA didn't want him and Todd Eldredge to skate against each other so early in the season. I imagine Rudy took that as a sign that he would never be considered the #1 US skater and since there were lots of opportunities in pro skating at the time, he abruptly retired from amateur skating.

Anyone else remember this?

KKonas

Medalist
I liked my answer better as it makes more sense than ridiculous conspiracy theories. He got a great offer of $$$$ for pro skating because at the time, COI was going strong and he was a sentimental favorite of many long time skating fans. He was older (I believe almost 29) and was tired of living day to day trying to make it as a competitive skater where he couldn't even afford a car and biked everywhere. Also, I suspect he thought he had lightening in a bottle that year and thought any results which were worse would be bad for potential COI or SOI

I was in San Jose for the great performance that Rudy gave that night. For years he toiled in singles (after Kristi left the pairs partnership) not getting the marks he sometimes deserved. Money or lack thereof was always an issue so he chose to leave competitive skating on a high note and, yes, take the $$$$ skating as a pro.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Haven't read through the thread (didn't bother trying to login during the competition; someone on Twitter said the site went down anyway :laugh:) and I've posted all of my thoughts on my blog (I'd post a link but the admins may fuss at me :unsure:) but my quick thoughts:

Gracie: I thought she was really good. She held up under the immense pressure and delivered. I think she looked poised and polished and she deserved the win. I hope she's able to keep it up and skate like this in Sochi.

Polina: She was fearless and really went for it. I thought she deserved a medal but I do think her inflated PCS are what made the difference b/w silver and bronze here. I can't argue her being named to the team but I don't necessarily agree with it either.

Mirai: So proud of her. She delivered better than anyone that night and the crowd responded to her the same way they responded to Jason Brown (ie. they lost their freakin' minds and were on their feet before the ending). I feel so terrible for her. She did her job on the night it's supposed to count but, unfortunately, this sport is nearly equal parts "what you've done in the past" as it is "what you do in the present." That's the reason skaters can have a bad skate and the commentators will say, "But the judges know what he/she can do..."; they receive scores based on reputation. This is nothing new. It's just sad Mirai is the odd person out this year...

Ashley: Really disappointed in her. I truly thought she'd put up a much better fight than that. I do think she deserved a spot on the team but I'm not happy that it came at the expense of Mirai. Then again it'd be hard to bump Polina off seeing as she came in 2nd...but then again, if the judges hadn't inflated her PCS, Mirai may have beaten her...

It's a crappy situation either way you look at it. Unfortunately, controversy is already swirling around figure skating and the Olympics haven't even started yet. :disapp:

I agree 100% with everything you just wrote, Kwanatic. I so hope there is a happy ending to Mirai's skating career. This isn't it. I have this half hope that Wagner will bow out of Worlds and Nagasu will wow the Japanese audience as she always does. Thanks for writing this, Kwanatic, it's basically what I think too.