Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 2014 US Nationals Senior Ice Dance FD

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Kristi won gold but she fell in the long program at the Olympics. She had given the performance of her life at Nationals the month before.
    I'll have to go back and look, but my recollection is that she stumbled on the 3L. Maybe a hand down, but not a total fall. She then doubled the S.

At World's that year, her only visible error was a fall on 3S.

Custom Title
    Tessa Virtue @2014 Canadian Nationals: acknowledging that she botched one of her twizzles. “I think we’re right on track. The point is to peak in Sochi, so it would be alarming if we skated perfectly both programs here."

In this instance I must say that I completely agree with her.

Custom Title
    Thanks Mrs. P and tulosai for sharing your impressions from live viewing! I'm so in awe of Davis and White; but I thoroughly enjoyed all the top couples and it's nice to get your impressions as the computer doesn't convey so much of the details - speed, nuance, audience connection and so forth.

Custom Title
    Twitter:

icenetwork ‏@icenetwork 18m
    Video of the U.S. championships free skates and free dance is now available on icenetwork! Watch them all here: http://www.icenetwork.com/video/sear...ic_id=59555720

Tripping on the Podium

Alex and Daniel's Free Dance

In defense of Alex and Daniel’s Bollywood and it’s Choreography I’d like to clarify a couple of things. First of all, Daniel idolizes Charlie White and certainly did not intent to imitate or be compared to Charlie.

In India, the traditional men’s costume for dress occasions or weddings is the Sherwani. Daniel’s has two (one for official practice and one or the competition). They are authentic Sherwani’s, purchased through the Bharatiya Temple o Metropolitan Detroit and modified for skating by our seamstress at Detroit Skating Club – Lou Anne Williams. Alex’s Grandma hand painted the scrollwork and insignia on the back of Daniel’s costumes and Alex’s Mom did the crystal work. While it does appear to be a copy of Charlie White’s 2010 Original Dance Costume, what else would be appropriate for a Bollywood Program? Similar, to most Marius’s wearing a white poet shirt, blue trousers and red sash when performing Les Mes.

Angelika Krylova and Pasquale Camerlengo, our coaches, approached Alex and Daniel with the Bollywood program last spring. At the 2012 Professional Skaters Association Awards, Pasquale received the Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year award and is currently one of the hottest creative commodities in the sport of figure skating today. Alex and Daniel’s Choreography Score at the US Championships was 7.89 and within one point of C&B, S&S, and H&D. A 7.89 Choreography Score at the 2010 US Championships would have been third.

I’d also like to add that In May, 2010, Daniel’s Father was diagnosed with an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Dr Kirit Patel operated on Mr. Eaton and Daniel, out of gratitude, dedicated the Bollywood Free Dance to Dr Patel who is Indian. I personally love the choreography and find it hard to believe that anyone could view it as a mess. Thanks

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Thanks, Turbo-Mom!

It's always interesting to hear from people in the know.

As a fan who does not get to travel to events and follows the sport via television and the internet, I have to remind myself that what I see on the ice doesn't just fall from the sky. There are a lot of logistics to getting the right music, the right program, the right costume... the right look.

Your story of Daniel's father and his surgery remind me that skaters are people, too, with real relationships. They have to deal with the ups and downs of life just as we all do.

I enjoyed your post.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Mom View Post
    I’d also like to add that In May, 2010, Daniel’s Father was diagnosed with an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Dr Kirit Patel operated on Mr. Eaton and Daniel, out of gratitude, dedicated the Bollywood Free Dance to Dr Patel who is Indian.
    Turbo-Mom, hope that Daniel's father now is in good health.

And I hope that you noticed/appreciated that Aldridge/Eaton received quite a few positive comments as well in this thread.

Hope also that all of you enjoy Taipei.

ETA, a question for you, if you would be comfortable answering at all:
    What is Camerlengo like as a person? I am just a very distant observer, but I am impressed by the way that he seems to support his skaters with real warmth. (Only my very subjective opinion, but I get a totally different vibe from him than I do from Zoueva.)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hope Daniel's father is recovering quickly.

Tripping on the Podium
    Thanks
    Daniel's Dad's surgery was last May and yes he is doing great, still working for US Army, and loves watching all of Angelika and Pasquale's Teams. Regarding Angelika and Pasquale - UnitedSkates (Angelika and Pasquale's Training Camp) treats all the skaters and coaches as part of a family with a lot o mutual respect or one another. They have talen Alex and Daniel to three National Championships and created some rally fun programs for all the teams. My personal favorite is still the Second Year at Junior Program to Lord of the Dance [URL="http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6eeErisqMc"]
    and I would not be surprised to see Alex and Daniel do it again - they loved that program and may do it in Greensboro - since they have such strong roots to the Celts. Angelika and Pasquale will make that call. I should add that both Angelika and Pasquale take a very active role in counseling their skaters, sort of like Aunts and Uncles.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    This sounds like a very supportive environment for young and developing skaters.

I'm going to root very hard for them, just because you've been so kind to share insights with us.

Next up, Four Continents... correct?

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Mom View Post
    Thanks
    Daniel's Dad's surgery was last May and yes he is doing great, still working for US Army, and loves watching all of Angelika and Pasquale's Teams. Regarding Angelika and Pasquale - UnitedSkates (Angelika and Pasquale's Training Camp) treats all the skaters and coaches as part of a family with a lot o mutual respect or one another. They have talen Alex and Daniel to three National Championships and created some rally fun programs for all the teams. My personal favorite is still the Second Year at Junior Program to Lord of the Dance [URL="http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6eeErisqMc"]
    and I would not be surprised to see Alex and Daniel do it again - they loved that program and may do it in Greensboro - since they have such strong roots to the Celts. Angelika and Pasquale will make that call. I should add that both Angelika and Pasquale take a very active role in counseling their skaters, sort of like Aunts and Uncles.
    Thx for your reply, TM. UnitedSkates is a great name. And very cool that Krylova and Camerlengo are like aunt and uncle to their skaters. Reminds me -- in a good way -- of what Jason Brown recently said about his coach (I'm paraphrasing): something about her professionalism when he is having a training session, combined with their family-like closeness that comes to the forefront at all other times.

p.s. Three cheers for Dr. Kirit Patel and the special meaning he has given to the Bollywood program. Happy to hear that Daniel's father is well.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6