Kaetlyn Osmond, ANY kind of threat? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond, ANY kind of threat?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
In any event my belief is that top 8-10 is doable for her and realistic. If as another poster says everyone falls then maybe she has an outside shot of top 5 or 6.

your belief not Osmond's
wishful thinking perhaps ;)

You are missing the point of why she says that. It means that she is going to go out and perform the program as she does in training every day, instead of overwhelming herself with the importance of the events, results, etc. She is reminding herself not to get overexcited and mess herself up but to go out and do what she does every day (ie. your job). Tanith Belbin used a similar phrase when she was commentating on senior dance, basically that their elements need to be so well=practiced that it is like punching your timesheet for your job (you just do it without having to even think hard about it).

:thumbsup:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
your belief not Osmond's
wishful thinking perhaps ;)

:thumbsup:

Saying Gold is a gold contender is wishful thinking. Not impossible, but an exceedingly high unlikelihood. A podium finish will be good for her, assuming she can finally skate well internationally.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie may look at skating as her job, but boy, does she ever LOVE her job! There was no doubt or trepidation when she came out on the ice. She was all business---I'm the princess and I'm here to rule, her face said. Her posture was regal, her jumps HUGE. She smiled benevolently at the crowd as she spun and jumped her way through "Sleeping Beauty", then when she landed that last 2a, she broke into a laugh and she beamed with joy as she did the final choreographic sequence and spin.

This was a totally different Gracie from the one we saw at the GP. And she is WONDERFUL!

dendrite

Spectator
Kaetlyn has a lot of strengths: a consistent triple-triple combination (albeit an easier one than some), good speed and flow, sizeable and generally fully rotated jumps, and a reasonable talent for executing choreography. If everyone skates to their potential, she is not going to win a medal; neither her technical content nor the sophistication of her presentation are quite there yet. Of course, anything can happen if the top skaters fail to skate to their potential, but a top-10 finish would be great. I see a lot of promise for the future as her artistry develops further and her technical arsenal ramps up. She'll be pushed at home by Dalemans, which will help. Canadians are excited about her because she's engaging on ice, but also because in this country we have historically had to wait years (and sometimes decades) between women with real medal potential. There wasn't a lot of optimism after Joannie stopped competing, and then all of a sudden there was Kaetlyn - and (rather unexpectedly) Canada can hope to have a top-10 skater again.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think KO has a decent chance of getting in the top ten. I would not expect her to medal. I wonder which will be a better skate for her, the team or the ladies event. More pressure in the team event I think since Skate Canada has said it expects to medal.

But then there have been crazier upsets. I don't think anyone in Canada thought Elizabeth Manley would win a silver in '88 either.

I'm not sure why Gracie Gold is part of this thread but I would expect her to be higher than KO. She seems more polished and put together to my eye. If she won the gold I'd be surprised but then the ice is slippery.

Icey

Record Breaker
Some skaters have passion for skating and enjoy it. Osmond loves skating and as she said, she do not expect to win gold but wants to skate her best. On the other hand, skating is a job for Gold. Like she said to Frank Carol before she took the ice at Nationals, this is a job and I will go on the ice and do that job. I don't think their is passion in her skating like Osmond.

She's just parroting Frank who had Michelle say the same thing: It's a job.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am a little shocked by all the hate towards Osmond too. She's so new on the scene and has never said anything snotty in interviews and she's as good as any of the other top 10 skaters. I think it's unfair to put expectations of a podium finish on her but I do think she can keep up with those near the top. She doesn't seem out of place. Top 10 is definitely doable. I'd predict a 7th place for her if she skates clean and most of the other top skaters skate clean too (who wants the Olympics to be a splat fest?) I think she'd need help to get to top 5 but someone usually implodes at the Olympics, so who knows?

She wont be 7th if everyone skates cleanly. Kim, all 3 Japanese, both Russians, Wagner, Gold, Kostner would finish above her for sure, so she is already 10th at best. Which 3 of those would you predict her to finish above if all go clean, seriously!?! I dont think you thought that assessment through much before making that statement. She could also finish lower than 10th if all were clean (which will never happen anyway so it is a silly discussion in a sense) as Korpi, Edmunds, and Li could easily end up higher then too. Mind you if she does somehow skate cleanly she probably will finish about 7th, but only since this is reality, not fantasy, and there probably wont be many clean performances, and atleast a few meltdowns. However in reality she isnt anymore likely to skate cleanly than most either.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wow, what negative thinking. Give the girl a chance. Kaetlyn is still "the new kid on the block" and was off most of the season due to injury. I believe she will skate well and will make the top five at least. Hey, no one expected Elizabeth Manley to be on the radar for a medal at the Calgary 1988 Olympics and she had the skate of her life and ended up with the Silver. Who can predict what will happen at the Olympics? Go Kaetlyn!

Dumb comparision. Manley was 4th at the 87 Worlds with a meltdown and her St. Ivel skate in fall 86 was the best ladies skate that season and would have easily won her the World title in 87 had she duplicated it. She was also doing far harder jumps than Witt, the OGM favorite, was. So even if she was inconsistent of course she was a big threat if she skated well.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
She wont be 7th if everyone skates cleanly. Kim, all 3 Japanese, both Russians, Wagner, Gold, Kostner would finish above her for sure, so she is already 10th at best. Which 3 of those would you predict her to finish above if all go clean, seriously!?! I dont think you thought that assessment through much before making that statement. She could also finish lower than 10th if all were clean (which will never happen anyway so it is a silly discussion in a sense) as Korpi, Edmunds, and Li could easily end up higher then too. Mind you if she does somehow skate cleanly she probably will finish about 7th, but only since this is reality, not fantasy, and there probably wont be many clean performances, and atleast a few meltdowns. However in reality she isnt anymore likely to skate cleanly than most either.

agreed on the list about 10 can easily pass her ,
only if others implode can Osmond place as high as 7th, Korpi wont be at the Olympics though but the others will be:

Yuna
Mao
Carolina
Julia
Gracie
Adelina
Kanako
Akiko
Ashley
Polina
Zijun

that's 11 skaters already:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Taan said:

Thank you! What an amazing comeback after her injury. She's amazing! :love::clap::rock:

pangtongfan said:
She could also finish lower than 10th if all were clean (which will never happen anyway so it is a silly discussion in a sense) as Korpi, Edmunds, and Li could easily end up higher then too.

Yes, especially Korpi is very likely to place in front of Kaetlyn *cough*

I also don't think Li will necessarily place above Kaetlyn, as she would probably get lower PCS, and despite Polinas techincal difficulty, looking at the rest of her skating, I'd get a major headache if she beat a clean Osmond.
The Osmond hate/bashing/whatever is completly unnecessary. I don't see any major hype sorrounding her these days. And to be honest, she's not a threat for a medal, but I'm so glad to have her at the Olympics for the same reason I'm glad to see Jason there: she's the kind of skater that could get non-fans into this sport. A lot more than some of the supposed medal threats, I think.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Just watched her performances on youtube. She is one heck of a fighter. They were so much better and she looks healthy again.

She might not be a big threat but she is one of those skaters who will be there when others crumble.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Some skaters have passion for skating and enjoy it. Osmond loves skating and as she said, she do not expect to win gold but wants to skate her best. On the other hand, skating is a job for Gold. Like she said to Frank Carol before she took the ice at Nationals, this is a job and I will go on the ice and do that job. I don't think their is passion in her skating like Osmond.

The mantra of "I have a job to do" is something that she and FrankC are using to block out distractions. Gracie is VERY passionate about skating and totally loves it.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Just watched her skates at the Nationals. What a PERFORMER she is. SP got bit too wild at the end, almost resembling a circus, but I don't think there is any other skater who can perform like Osmond. Technically, she is not in the top tier, but I love watching her!

amc987

On the Ice
She performed well! I like her Cleopatra program. I still don't care for the music cuts in her SP, particularly the last 30 seconds. Her choreography and interpretation are really great. Does she just not do a 3Lo? I think that and a lack of a 3-3 will hold her down in Sochi.

emdee

Final Flight
Thank you! What an amazing comeback after her injury. She's amazing! :love::clap::rock:

Yes, especially Korpi is very likely to place in front of Kaetlyn *cough*

I also don't think Li will necessarily place above Kaetlyn, as she would probably get lower PCS, and despite Polinas techincal difficulty, looking at the rest of her skating, I'd get a major headache if she beat a clean Osmond.
The Osmond hate/bashing/whatever is completly unnecessary. I don't see any major hype sorrounding her these days. And to be honest, she's not a threat for a medal, but I'm so glad to have her at the Olympics for the same reason I'm glad to see Jason there: she's the kind of skater that could get non-fans into this sport. A lot more than some of the supposed medal threats, I think.

Thank you .... the hate bashing mostly comes from the same source! Osmond is a beautiful and talented skater that has a way to go before she challenges. I wish that she has two memorable skates and a top ten finish.