Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's FS - 2014 U.S. Nationals in Boston

emma

Record Breaker
You talk about the skating fans as though we DONT know the shortcomings for Jason and Jeremy. Jeremy has been inconsistent but he has supreme upside, and Jason is SUCH an entertainer and his charisma and talent is maybe the highest we have seen in DECADES. However, Max was a supremely good sport with his result and he knows what he has to work on. LISTEN, he doesn't have to be like Jeremy or Jason, he can chart his own path of "masculine artistry." I may not prefer it, but it is it true to who he is, and if he skates it with conviction, I WILL ENJOY IT. Max is still learning who he is in this sport. This isn't hockey, though he can still skate fast and strong and to strong music and win it, he just needs to find himself.

FYI: There is a reason that I got into skating, and it was because of the woman who I will revere above even my mother (and it is HER mother, my grandmother.) She loved Elvis Stojko (before she passed away) and his masculine, yet powerful way of skating. Max NEEDS to find that. He's on his way, but he needs to delve a bit more. However, he needs to be reminded of Brian Joubert, and to NOT fall into that trap. you can be both Masculine AND an artist, and he needs to find the way that he sees is the best for him. He IS powerful, and he needs to use powerful music (LIKE Carmen) to his advantage. He is just not there yet, and I find his skating disingenuous (the artistic side.)

EDIT: That is not to say that last years win is null. He WAS the best skater in the field, but not so with this year and these skates. I hope he takes to heart what the judges scored him and the past champions (Evan being the most similar to him stylistically) and that he knows that he can still be a champion.

There is so much in this post that I appreciate, agree with or identify with, and like! It feels wierd to say this, but I think Sandra B made a good point about skating being a kind of big tent for different kinds of styles and approaches. I love that about figure skating. The skating that most grabs me is that combination of artistry and technical - so I loved Buttle and Lambiel, for instance, but also Yags and Plushy (differently), and Elvis too (and similarl, Honda). Anyway, it's nice to appreciate the variety and the strengths of each; and to that end, I want to give a huge shout out for Max. He skated great! And to think he scored higher (even considering relative differences across competitons) this year than last. He adds a great dimension to men's skating and I truly hope he has a great worlds (can't wait to see him)!

KKonas

Medalist
Jason Brown is always great fun to watch. He is a superb entertainer, but the program that moved me the most was Joshua's emotional FS - totally captivating. Thought Abbott skated very well and Max also did a credible job as did Doug Razzano.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason Brown is always great fun to watch. He is a superb entertainer, but the program that moved me the most was Joshua's emotional FS - totally captivating. Thought Abbott skated very well and Max also did a credible job as did Doug Razzano.

I loved all of them! As I said earlier, the men's free skate was a huge treat after a mostly OK ladies free skate (with exceptions.)

But yes, Joshua's FS is very much sticking with me. I just love that step sequence. I filmed a bit of it and you can see how well he covers the ice.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I've got a Ross Miner question!
I first thought that he dedicated his FS to the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombings.
Then I heard that the music was composed as a tribute?
Finally I read here that you could see from his choreography that it evoked that.
Could someone please fill me in? I thought it was a beautiful music and obviously skated from the heart, but I didn't get any choreography being related to that - I'd imagine this a very hard thing to do...

anyone?

dardar1126

On the Ice
He did dedicate his LP to the Marathon Bombing victims.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/10/261407571/a-story-of-the-boston-marathon-bombing-as-told-on-skates

A Story Of The Boston Marathon Bombing, As Told On Skates
by TOVIA SMITH
January 10, 2014 4:42 PM

Excerpt:

Miner's long 4 1/2-minute routine tells his story of being traumatized, then buoyed by the Boston bombing, through moves and music.

It starts with patriotic music — the running of the marathon itself. Then, two discordant crashes come out of nowhere.

"And then, there's a section which is to me the immediate aftermath," Miner says. The music slows. "It's sort of like you're watching it in slow motion, and 'Oh my God, I can't believe this happened.' I think that was everyone's emotion at time."

"And then there's this very sharp immediate music, which we always talk about as like 'the manhunt.' "

That part hits hard for Miner, who was locked down at home in Watertown, where the suspects were on the loose.

"It was crazy," Miner says "There're armored vehicles driving down my street. I could hear the flash-bangs going off and the helicopters were flying overhead. So it was surreal."

"Then really uplifting, proud, glorious music comes in ... and to me that was, you know, the pride and the relief of knowing that we got the people who did this to us, and of being safe."
I'm not sure, but I seem to recall some of his choreography was him "running" across the ice (i.e. running in the Marathon).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(Michael_W._Smith_album)

Glory is an instrumental album by Christian recording artist Michael W. Smith. Released in November 2011, the album is Smith's second instrumental album since releasing Freedom in 2000.[2] The album was recorded with a 65-piece orchestra at AIR Studios Lyndhurst Hall in London and Wildwood Recording Studio in Nashville.[3] The music was arranged by Smith's longtime friend David Hamilton, and produced by Smith himself.[4]

Since music was released in 2011, it can't be specifically about the Marathon bombing.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But yes, Joshua's FS is very much sticking with me. I just love that step sequence. I filmed a bit of it and you can see how well he covers the ice.

Maybe I should make a t-shirt of my own - "I was crying to Schindler's List before Nationals" :p

Or we could start a petition for him to use it next year!