2014 Canadian Nationals Senior Dance FD | Golden Skate

2014 Canadian Nationals Senior Dance FD

Blink

Rinkside
150.30 Kharis Ralph / Asher Hill - CO 60.94 (6) 89.36 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42636336
143.90 Madeline Edwards / ZhaoKai Pang - BC/YK 55.51 (7) 88.39 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42636134
143.80 Élisabeth Paradis / François-Xavier Ouellette - QC 52.59 (8) 91.21 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42635933
132.89 Mariève Cyr / Benjamin Brisebois Gaudreau - QC 49.14 (10) 83.75 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42635415
124.12 Victoria Hasegawa / Connor Hasegawa - QC 49.87 (9) 74.25 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42635761
116.94 Mélissande Dumas / Simon Proulx-Sénécal - QC 43.95 (11) 72.99 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42635247
110.56 Bianka Gadosy / Benjamin Smyth – QC 43.15 (12) 67.41 http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/42635021

rain

Record Breaker
So, earlier this season I posted here that I didn't love Virtue and Moir's new FD and didn't know if it could win an Olympic gold. I'm eating crow. It's really come together and was mesmerizing tonight. Gorgeous. I don't know if it will win the gold, but it certainly can. Still some things to work on — the beginning was perfect, but the ending lost some of the momentum. A bit of a bobble on a twizzle — but in spite of that I could finally see the magic. They can create a moment with this, just as they did in 2010. My fingers are crossed for them.

Weaver and Poje were amazing. By all rights they should be contending for bronze, but I still don't know if the judges will let them. Fingers crossed for fair judging.

Thrilled for Mitchell and Islam. I've loved them since the first time I saw them. Then they were plagued with injuries and inconsistency and it looked like they might never fulfill their potential. Looks like they're back on track.

Felt terrible for Paul Poirier and Piper Gilles. I really enjoyed their performance as well and was sorry to hear they have had to struggle with such a terrible injury, something that no doubt affected their placement here and the fact that they won't be going to the Olympics. I wish we could send four teams because I'd love to see these guys go, too.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
That's Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam..;) ..on their way to becoming household names...

I was so thrilled for them. What a beautiful skate ..what a great nationals for them. They've answered every call this season. Continued success to them in Sochi.

V/M , were close enough to perfect for Canadians, and I , too am really warming to their FD ... I admit to worrying it might be a bit too restrained , earlier on.

W/P ..? Wow , that program gets more stunning every time I see it.

gottadance

On the Ice
That's Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam..;) ..on their way to becoming household names...

I was so thrilled for them. What a beautiful skate ..what a great nationals for them. They've answered every call this season. Continued success to them in Sochi.

V/M , were close enough to perfect for Canadians, and I , too am really warming to their FD ... I admit to worrying it might be a bit too restrained , earlier on.

as a Canadian now living in the US I am dying here since I cant get TSN or CTV. I saw the earlier couples on the Skate Canada live streaming but could somebody do me the huge favour of uploading videos of the top 3 couples?
I would be forever in your debt!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Disappointed that Piper & Paul didn't make the podium. I think they should have finished 3rd. I was there in person tonight in the Canadian Tire Center and they were perfect. Their Hitchcock program has a lot of fans out there and has made quite the impact this season (as you can see on Twitter etc. from all the comments tonight). I just also think they have the most charisma & personality on the ice. Alex & Mitch are nice kids and skated well, but I just don't think they have the same impact.

Still, I guess we have to accept the judges decision and realize that it was a close competition for that 3rd spot. I'm hoping Gilles & Poirier will continue moving upwards from here. They work so well together!! :)

waterblades

On the Ice
I love the HitchcockFD, fingers crossed they may still be named to the team.

Also so glad v/m changed the ending of their FD, so much better!

W/P skate of the night way to go!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Now that I can be a bit less of a dishrag after that excellent competition.. I meant to say how much I loved the FD of Paradis and Ouellette. I didn't think anyone could get me involved using the Godfather ever again , but it was a wonderful program , well skated , with innovative lifts that managed to stay attractive while being different. I thought they deserved their 5th place finish in the FD.

O/W skated well , but I haven't liked their program choice all season, and think they'll need something a bit more sophisticated next year. Same for Maddy (Maddie?) and Zhao Kay. I think there are plenty of good elements in these programs ,they just need a different format... I enjoyed Kharis and Asher, and I must say, I loved her SD dress,in particular. I also continue to be impressed with Cyr/ Brisbois Gaudreau..hope they'll get good exposure next year.

All in all, It seemed to me a well judged event and I can't say I'm displeased with any of the final placements.

I cannot believe Gilles/Poirer were 4th on the PCS in the FD. Their "Hitchock" FD is an absolutely exceptional program. It has a very strong concept, varied and interesting choreography and transitions and tons of character. It's the best FD this season, hands down IMO. I can understand Paul/Islam possibly scoring higher on SS (given Poirer's SS are exceptional but Gilles' are way behind) but no way did they deserve to come ahead on any other PCS.

happy hollow

Rinkside
I, for one, was thrilled for Paul and Islam! Their skating is more refined than Gilles/Poirier. And they have had their share of bad luck! Gilles and Poirier have a lot of potential…but she has a lot of catching up to do. Sad Scott and Tessa couldn't have skated perfectly, but even sadder that they may be done at Nationals. They have given us soooo many great performances and have been wonderful ambassadors for our sport. Thank you Scott and Tessa for all of the wonderful memories.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I like P/I's programs this year and think they do a nice job. The SD is quite good. The FD? It's a nice little program, skated nicely, and utterly forgettable about 12 minutes after seeing it. And I am sure that is what is going to happen at the Olympics. They'll have a nice skate, and no one except their families and fans will remember it.

On the other hand, I bet I will remember the Hitchcock program 12 years from now.

joannix

Rinkside
Hi all!!! this is my first post and I´m glad to take the chance to do it about this topic...FD!!! Wow!! what a talented and amazing dancers Canada have...u must be proud of them and surely will be very well represented!! However I cannot hide my sadness about Piper and Paul for not making the Oly team..the first time I saw their Hitchcock program I was blown away because it´s different..original...and dark which I love it!! and I will always remember it!!! Hope they can keep going in the future!!!

skatefancan

Rinkside
as a Canadian now living in the US I am dying here since I cant get TSN or CTV. I saw the earlier couples on the Skate Canada live streaming but could somebody do me the huge favour of uploading videos of the top 3 couples?
I would be forever in your debt!

Yes please! Someone please download videos !!

I like P/I's programs this year and think they do a nice job. The SD is quite good. The FD? It's a nice little program, skated nicely, and utterly forgettable about 12 minutes after seeing it. And I am sure that is what is going to happen at the Olympics. They'll have a nice skate, and no one except their families and fans will remember it.

On the other hand, I bet I will remember the Hitchcock program 12 years from now.

And that sums it up.

It's so infuriating because this is exactly why bland ZouevaShpilband recycled choreography has taken over Ice Dance. Why bother coming up with something different, original, unique and daring when the judges will go 'Uuuuuuuuuuhmmm... I don't get it.'

Jade

Rinkside
Was a great event. Overall I am pleased with the three chosen for Olympics. But once again I must bring up the elephant in the room that nobody wants to discuss. That is Kharis and Asher,
from the time I saw the starting order I knew they were screwed. Why did they skate 5th in the short when they should have been among the top teams? Their short dance was excellent but as usual they never get a break in the marks. Their long program was very good yet again never got the marks. It is as if the powers that be at Skate Canada don,t want them on the national team. I wonder why? Spoke with Ashers mom and I know a few people have brought up the race card to her in whispers? I have been watching them for a while and they get no respect. Even after placing 13th at worlds in 2012 when Gilles and Poirier place 18th the next year. They
consistently get better marks abroad than at home. There is no way that Orford and Williams should have placed ahead of them at nationals. That is why sometimes I do not like this sport.
Comments welcomed.

I absolutely adore Ralph/Hill. I love their expression, their style, the joy in their skating. They are a really special team. However, I think that he is a stronger dancer than her and it probably is a factor in how they are being scored.

I think that the race card definitely is a factor. I am pretty sure (or at least I would like to think this way) that no judge deliberately marks them down. But the whole point of racism is that it's subconscious, unspoken, hidden within pretty much every single one of us, even if we would like to think differently.

VirMo

On the Ice
I was actually underwhelmed by Virtue and Moir's FD. I felt like the changes were for the worse, especially switching the order of the two rotational lifts. I liked the original order. And the remastered music and the drum rolls have taken away the subtlety that was the beauty of this program.

SGrand

Final Flight
Was a great event. Overall I am pleased with the three chosen for Olympics. But once again I must bring up the elephant in the room that nobody wants to discuss. That is Kharis and Asher,
from the time I saw the starting order I knew they were screwed. Why did they skate 5th in the short when they should have been among the top teams? Their short dance was excellent but as usual they never get a break in the marks. Their long program was very good yet again never got the marks. It is as if the powers that be at Skate Canada don,t want them on the national team. I wonder why? Spoke with Ashers mom and I know a few people have brought up the race card to her in whispers? I have been watching them for a while and they get no respect. Even after placing 13th at worlds in 2012 when Gilles and Poirier place 18th the next year. They
consistently get better marks abroad than at home. There is no way that Orford and Williams should have placed ahead of them at nationals. That is why sometimes I do not like this sport.
Comments welcomed.

I'm sorry to say that I thought they had maybe quit since I didn't see them on the TSN broadcast. 😦 Did I maybe miss them?
Always enjoyed watching them, sorry to hear they are not doing as well with the judges.