Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Canadian Nationals Senior Dance FD

Rinkside
    Was a great event. Overall I am pleased with the three chosen for Olympics. But once again I must bring up the elephant in the room that nobody wants to discuss. That is Kharis and Asher,
    from the time I saw the starting order I knew they were screwed. Why did they skate 5th in the short when they should have been among the top teams? Their short dance was excellent but as usual they never get a break in the marks. Their long program was very good yet again never got the marks. It is as if the powers that be at Skate Canada don,t want them on the national team. I wonder why? Spoke with Ashers mom and I know a few people have brought up the race card to her in whispers? I have been watching them for a while and they get no respect. Even after placing 13th at worlds in 2012 when Gilles and Poirier place 18th the next year. They
    consistently get better marks abroad than at home. There is no way that Orford and Williams should have placed ahead of them at nationals. That is why sometimes I do not like this sport.
    Comments welcomed.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I absolutely adore Ralph/Hill. I love their expression, their style, the joy in their skating. They are a really special team. However, I think that he is a stronger dancer than her and it probably is a factor in how they are being scored.

I think that the race card definitely is a factor. I am pretty sure (or at least I would like to think this way) that no judge deliberately marks them down. But the whole point of racism is that it's subconscious, unspoken, hidden within pretty much every single one of us, even if we would like to think differently.

Custom Title
    I was actually underwhelmed by Virtue and Moir's FD. I felt like the changes were for the worse, especially switching the order of the two rotational lifts. I liked the original order. And the remastered music and the drum rolls have taken away the subtlety that was the beauty of this program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
    Was a great event. Overall I am pleased with the three chosen for Olympics. But once again I must bring up the elephant in the room that nobody wants to discuss. That is Kharis and Asher,
    from the time I saw the starting order I knew they were screwed. Why did they skate 5th in the short when they should have been among the top teams? Their short dance was excellent but as usual they never get a break in the marks. Their long program was very good yet again never got the marks. It is as if the powers that be at Skate Canada don,t want them on the national team. I wonder why? Spoke with Ashers mom and I know a few people have brought up the race card to her in whispers? I have been watching them for a while and they get no respect. Even after placing 13th at worlds in 2012 when Gilles and Poirier place 18th the next year. They
    consistently get better marks abroad than at home. There is no way that Orford and Williams should have placed ahead of them at nationals. That is why sometimes I do not like this sport.
    Comments welcomed.
    I'm sorry to say that I thought they had maybe quit since I didn't see them on the TSN broadcast. 😦 Did I maybe miss them?
    Always enjoyed watching them, sorry to hear they are not doing as well with the judges.

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I set my PVR to tape all 2.5hrs and it did, but it cut out V & M. :(

Custom Title
    Well after viewing Davis and White and Virtue and Moir I can say this. Technicall D and W might be better but affecting TES woudl be line and that favours imho V and M. I still find V and M better SS and Pcs wise but the judges lightly favor D and W. D and W are destined for OGM but I have to say both teams are a bit of a disapointment. Maybe it is COP but they just don't have the charisma, the divaness, the je ne sais quoi (forget techincal) of teams in the past. Maybe it is COP but both their programs are forgetable. If I had to pick one as being better I would clearly see V and M. They do more magic. D and W is well done but rather eh, whatever. I mean they are good but not special. I hope even if tes go to CD and W the judges will open up the purse to V and M for pcs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    I like P/I's programs this year and think they do a nice job. The SD is quite good. The FD? It's a nice little program, skated nicely, and utterly forgettable about 12 minutes after seeing it. And I am sure that is what is going to happen at the Olympics. They'll have a nice skate, and no one except their families and fans will remember it.

On the other hand, I bet I will remember the Hitchcock program 12 years from now.
    P/I have beautiful lines but I found their SD underwhelming and even soulless. It was very run of the mill. The Hitchcock was a special program and exquisitely skated.

I used to find P/I boring but I went to the dance final in person and they're actually much better live than on tv. I enjoyed them more than G/P this time. I find V/M's FD slightly boring.. I think D/W will take Olympic gold this time. When you think of what an Olympic program should be like, D/W's better fits the bill.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Obviously , I find evidence of "soul" in very different places than emdee .. but there's no use going back and forth about P/I vs. G/P , it's plain that people's artistic preferences are coming into play, and that's not likely to be resolved , here.

What I want to raise is the program of P/O , which vaulted them from a fair 8th place in the SD to a fair 5th place in the FD ( even with a deduction for a long lift)... This was the choreographic wonder of the competition , for me. ( Not my favourite choreo, but one of the ones that best served the skaters. Kudos to D&L, I assume ?)

Here was a non-original program choice greatly elevated by creativity. It used the skaters abilities to maximum effect, was filled with innovative moves, was well executed and seamless ..nothing stood out as a noticeable "gotcha" moment, it was all of one piece.

R/H and O/W were very close . A large part of the difference may come down to the twizzles ( O/W lv.4 , R/H lv.3 ) Otherwise ,their levels were pretty equal, with O/W receiving some higher GOEs . These are the 2 couples whose placements could be most reasonably debated ,IMO..but I certainly don't think it has a thing to do with race... Personally, I didn't think the music choices for either couple did them any favours . And you could say O/W's program was more generic, generally ( and not far removed from last year's) .. but then R/H's program , though new , was much like a number of things they've done in the past , so it also did seem a bit "more of the same".

The good news is , both teams will get other assignments ( maybe even this year?) and neither will be left out in the cold come next year's GP. With their scores being so close I doubt either one will come in for favouritism on the part of SC.

On the Ice
    As much as my heart broke for Piper & Paul they knew coming into this season that they may not get to go to the Olympics because of the citizenship issue. So I can see them sticking around for 2018.

I love their creativity, personality & know they have what it takes but they still seem rough around the edges. They need to go back and work on the fundamentals; their lines, holds, skating skills.

They are amazing people and I wish we could send everyone!! But I was always pulling for Alexandra/Mitch because of their quality of elements. Yes their programs are not nearly as entertaining or memorable for the audience but as long as the judges get the concept that's all that matters.

Custom Title
    The problem I have with Voir's long program is that it doesn't really GO anywhere. Yes, it is exquisitely skated (twizzle bobble notwithstanding), but it's a gauzy mood piece. Given that the stated intent of the piece is to portray Voir's long relationship, I find a real lack of tension or conflict, though there certainly is a great deal of signified 'romance.' So in essence, it feels sentimental to me. But hey, let the good times roll...

ETA: If someone has a link for the Nationals performance of Hitchcock, can you please post the link? I'd love to see it again. I really think it's such a gem of a program. Thanks!

Custom Title
    g/p was our one chance to see something truly spectacular. hopefully this makes them really dig deep for the next quad. both d/w and v/m sort of seemed flat to me this weekend. i don't catch myself wanting to watch their programs over and over this year. the two teams that i really like this year, when they're on are W/P and I/K (i've watched both their programs too many times to count). i really hope they light it up, because we're not going to see H/D and we may not get to see c/p. we will see c/l but their programs just seem so trite this year. b/s just seem so robotic and by the numbers this year. why are olympic programs so challenging to create? oh brother....

Rinkside
    V/M's FD starts off quiet and soft but builds tension with the tempo and key changes and the transitions are indicative of the program building as the piece goes on. I like this version better, they have added some percussive beats in the last half building all the way to the end. More powerful and regal feel. I'm beginning to hear and feel the softness, fragility, tension, chaos and triumph all in this program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Obviously , I find evidence of "soul" in very different places than emdee .. but there's no use going back and forth about P/I vs. G/P , it's plain that people's artistic preferences are coming into play, and that's not likely to be resolved , here.

What I want to raise is the program of P/O , which vaulted them from a fair 8th place in the SD to a fair 5th place in the FD ( even with a deduction for a long lift)... This was the choreographic wonder of the competition , for me. ( Not my favourite choreo, but one of the ones that best served the skaters. Kudos to D&L, I assume ?)

Here was a non-original program choice greatly elevated by creativity. It used the skaters abilities to maximum effect, was filled with innovative moves, was well executed and seamless ..nothing stood out as a noticeable "gotcha" moment, it was all of one piece.

R/H and O/W were very close . A large part of the difference may come down to the twizzles ( O/W lv.4 , R/H lv.3 ) Otherwise ,their levels were pretty equal, with O/W receiving some higher GOEs . These are the 2 couples whose placements could be most reasonably debated ,IMO..but I certainly don't think it has a thing to do with race... Personally, I didn't think the music choices for either couple did them any favours . And you could say O/W's program was more generic, generally ( and not far removed from last year's) .. but then R/H's program , though new , was much like a number of things they've done in the past , so it also did seem a bit "more of the same".

The good news is , both teams will get other assignments ( maybe even this year?) and neither will be left out in the cold come next year's GP. With their scores being so close I doubt either one will come in for favouritism on the part of SC.
    Absolutely agree with all of this.

V/M were sublime. W/P get better and better every time I see them. I wasn't really fond of their music this year at the beginning. I was hoping I guess for a tango without the words. But it really has grown on me, and it certainly suits their dramatic side. Seeing them in person finally really allowed me to see the power of it. They were really, really good.

As for P/I vs G/P, it really wasn't a contest. I went away from the night feeling really good about the state of ice dance.....that we are back to having dance in ice dance. While G/P are entertaining, they are missing the fundamentals. If they ever bother to go back to really work on those, then add the creativity in the program, then they will be a force to contend with. Until then, I just don't think they are matched in skills, lines, edges, etc.

I don't know what to think about R/H. I really think they have better skills and lines and dance than O/W. But this FD was a bit of a mess. And I don't think it showed growth and range. It was like going back to Junior. I think the program choice was an error in judgement.

For O/W I don't see the future here. I think both BC teams need to completely re-think their strategy for programs, music and choreography. Next to P/O, and the rest of the top teams, they looked like kindergarten. I'd love to see what a David Wilson or Jeff Buttle would do with E/P. They have the goods, but they need the right vehicle, and they need to really be able to have more maturity in expression. It's not just about going fast. It's about the nuances of the music. It's not just the notes, but the spaces between the notes that matter. I think the problem is a lot deeper with O/W. I don't see the musicality at all. They have great training. But to me it doesn't really look like good ice dance...just ice dance by numbers.

I was SO happy to see a solid free dance from P/O. It was a really well done program from start to finish, and I was really pleased to see this get rewarded. So many times they have struggled with nerves and consistency. Hopefully they will now have some more confidence going into next season.

An honourable mention definitely goes to Cyr/Brisebois. They had a very strong Senior debut in a very strong field. I'm looking forward to see what they do next season.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast