2014 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs FS | Golden Skate

2014 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs FS

Scout

Final Flight
Shalena is young - which I knew, but I didn't realize Rob was 24. By skating with him, she won't be eligible for junior international events. That seems like a lot to give up.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Most anticipated event of the week-end for me. Hard fought battle for 1st and 3rd, which is awesome. I don't really care who wins (both MTM or DR deserve it and I hope both teams get to compete in the team event) but I would like to see Purich and Tran sneak in third. They are doing great for such a young pair and it would be great to finally see Tran compete for Canada in a big event. I also have a soft spot for Tiny Dancer for some reason and I'd like to see it in Sochi.

Scout

Final Flight
It's going to be bittersweet. I already saw tears from Caydee, and Amelie looked heart broken. It'll be tough for whoever comes it fourth.

I really hope MTM and D/R both bring it, although I'm hoping MTM come out on top. Hear's to hoping for four great skates!

starryxskies

On the Ice
I have such a soft spot for Mervin after how he was treated by the JSF. His new hair makes him look more mature. A couple mistakes from them but I hope maybe they'll get an outside chance for 3rd?

happyskate6

Rinkside
Purich and Tran:
3Tw clean
SBS 3T+2T - nice
Th3S
SBS 3S - she stumbles
Th3L? - low throw, she falls
spins and lifts all very nice - especially last lift

A couple of mistakes, but a lovely skate.
FS 110.36 (170.40 total)

scs

Rinkside
Whether they make the Olympic
team or not, Purich and Tran have a bright future.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Loved Purich and Tran's program, despite the mistakes. Granted life is beautiful is one of my favorite movie, so I also really loved the choice of music. Really loving that team, they have a ton of potential.

L & S get the Olympic spot, sad for Purich and Tran.

happyskate6

Rinkside
Sorry, guys, this site keeps crashing on me!
Lawrence and Swiegers:

Overall very good skate.
3T - she falls
Lift problem - down after 1 rotation
Th3Lz was excellent!

FS 114.
(missed it)

happyskate6

Rinkside
MTM:

Shaky start with the Dylan's fall on the first 3T. He had to bail on the second 3T altogether.
But, overall - GORGEOUS. Love these two.

FS 134.48
209.44 total

rain

Record Breaker
Loved Purich and Tran's program, despite the mistakes. Granted life is beautiful is one of my favorite movie, so I also really loved the choice of music. Really loving that team, they have a ton of potential.

L & S get the Olympic spot, sad for Purich and Tran.

Happy for L&S, but for my money I would have sent Purich and Tran. Huge potential for these two, who, in my opinion have that elusive "it" factor. I hope they stick around for a long time.

M-T/M — I'm hoping for them to win. Fingers crossed after the fall on the 3t.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Happy for L&S, but for my money I would have sent Purich and Tran. Huge potential for these two, who, in my opinion have that elusive "it" factor. I hope they stick around for a long time.

M-T/M — I'm hoping for them to win. Fingers crossed after the fall on the 3t.

I mean, don't get me wrong. L&S earned it. I just feel that P&T (if they stay together) will be Canada's number one pair in 2018 and it would have been beneficial for them to get Olympic experience. Hopefully they make worlds.

happyskate6

Rinkside
DR:

Extraordinary beginning. Beautiful flow and creativity in the choreo.
SBS3Lz amazing.
She fell on the 3S in their 3S+2T combo.
A little slow on the final lift.
Stunning program. Hypnotizing to watch.

FS 137.82 (Canadian Record)
213.62 total

rain

Record Breaker
I mean, don't get me wrong. L&S earned it. I just feel that P&T (if they stay together) will be Canada's number one pair in 2018 and it would have been beneficial for them to get Olympic experience. Hopefully they make worlds.

I completely agree with you, no worries. P&T are the future if they stick it out together. How far they've come in such a short period of time is incredible and with a bit more experience under their belts, the sky's the limit.

On another note, did Tran ever hit the jackpot. I thought it'd be tough for him to find a new partner who could get up to his level, but Natasha Purich is a find. She, of course, hit the jackpot to, lol. Not too many world bronze medalists hanging around suddenly looking for a new partner.

Oh well, M-T/M second again. Certainly a fair result — D/R have a ridiculous amount of difficulty in their elements. I guess I just wish they were a little more polished and elegant along with it. But two really strong teams going to Sochi.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I've been thinking that whichever team wins Canadians will opt to skate the SP for the Olympic team event (2nd place team will skate the FP). So we may get to see D/R's lovely tribute to Paul Wirtz not once but twice at the Olympics.

So happy my fellow Saskatchewanians are going to the Olympics!!! Congrats Paige and Rudi!

Ravensque

On the Ice
Thrilled for Paige and Rudy. They deserve it. I like Purich and Tran, but they should be there for the next time. They will have their day too in the future if they stick together as a team