The ladies USA Olympic team? | Golden Skate

The ladies USA Olympic team?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I believe that each of theses skaters earn their spot square and fair.
I'm sorry but Ashley prove that she isn't able to handle the pressure, this nationals was an exercise to see which ladies is able to skate the best under high pressure, and to me Gracie, Mirai and Polina prove themselves that they can handle the pressure of the Olympic and they are the best in USA this season.

I really hope that the USA will not pick Ashley for Sotchi because it's unfair!!
For example, Amelie Lacoste was the favorite to take the 2nd spot for Sotchi and she didn't handle the pressure and lost to Gabrielle Daleman. So, in Canada, even if we would have like to give an Olympic experience for Amelie, they will pick Gabrielle Daleman because she earn that spot fairly with her 2nd place.

I agree, it really sad that both Amelie Lacoste and Ashley Wagner lost two opportunity of making the Olympic team by one place both in 2010 and in 2014, but it's life isn't it.

wallylutz

Medalist
I'm sorry but Ashley prove that she isn't able to handle the pressure, this nationals was an exercise to see which ladies is able to skate the best under high pressure, and to me Gracie, Mirai and Polina prove themselves that they can handle the pressure of the Olympic and they are the best in USA this season.

I really hope that the USA will not pick Ashley for Sotchi because it's unfair!!
For example, Amelie Lacoste was the favorite to take the 2nd spot for Sotchi and she didn't handle the pressure and lost to Gabrielle Daleman. So, in Canada, even if we would have like to give an Olympic experience for Amelie, they will pick Gabrielle Daleman because she earn that spot fairly with her 2nd place.

I agree, it really sad that both Amelie Lacoste and Ashley Wagner lost two opportunity of making the Olympic team by one place both in 2010 and in 2014, but it's life isn't it.

Just came back to my hotel room from Canadian Tire centre in Ottawa, forgive me because it has been a hectic day and just caught on what happened in Boston. Since you used Amelie Lacoste in your example, I am sorry to tell you that your comparison is flawed. There was never a favorite for the 2nd spot in Sochi as far as Canadian ladies were concerned. In fact, even Osmond's spot wasn't guaranteed, unlike say Chan or Virtue/Moir. Furthermore, Gabrielle Daleman had a 7 Triple program which includes two Lutzes, a clean and very well executed Triple Lutz + Triple Toe and a Double Axel + Triple Toe. In the end, Daleman didn't just beat Lacoste, the former instead won a decisive victory over the latter in every aspect without any doubt.

What you failed to understand is that when some national medalists aren't picked for Olympic/World team, one of the key factor assessed is the potential of the said skater who may underperform on a given day but due to long-standing track record, demonstrated significantly higher potential when they perform up to their usual standards. In this case, Lacoste has no reliable or long-standing international accomplishments to show for unlike Ashley Wagner, therefore, any comparison between the two ladies are flawed to begin with. Furthermore, an important question that USFS will need to ask in assessing this difficult situation is "what would have happened if Ashley Wagner had skated up to her usual standards?" Would she still be behind Nagasu or Edmunds? If so, by how much? Let me also remind you, even the U.S. Champion is no longer guaranteed a spot for the Olympic team. It would have been nice if the Nationals results were more clear cut but that's the reality we have to deal with.

The bottom-line is Ashley Wagner has done enough to justify her case, it's up to USFS to decide how they will handle this. Either way, I think it's fair.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I really hope that the USA will not pick Ashley for Sotchi because it's unfair!! ...

Your "belief" does not justify giving this thread a terribly misleading title: "Gracie Gold, Polina Edmunds and Mirai Nagasu - USA Olympic team". :no:

I have asked the mods to add a question mark.
The U.S. ladies on the Olympic team will not be announced until Sunday at noon ET.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Must not forget Wagner is the 13GPF bronze medalist being the only American lady in the GPF.

TripleToe

Rinkside
Gracie is a lock.

And... I really want Polina to go! I don't think age or lack of international competition are really factors, sometimes the younger... the careless and fearless you are. Nerves or pressure do not seem to be a problem for her, She's confident and I'm rooting for her all the way, I think She earned a spot tonight.

Now the thing and big question of course is Ashley... Who will be turned away? Polina or Mirai? or none? I can't wait for tomorrow. I love Ashley but then again the other girls worked as hard as her.

In my opinion... My Olympic team is: Gracie, Polina and Ashley.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Lacoste did not win a GP gold and silver and bronze at the GPF. Daleman beat Lacoste last year and this year. Ashley was the reigning champ and has never lost to Gracie until now and hasn't lost to Mirai in ages. Their situations can't be compared.

Ashley has still earned her spot. It's a question of whether its Polina or Mirai who she will replace. It's horribly unfair to the latters but really makes the most sense. If Ashley had Mirai's or Gracie's GP season, then it would probably be a no brainer to leave her off the team but the reality is that her past two seasons have been very strong. It's the reason Dai is on the Japanese team even though he was beaten by Kozuka/Oda, and Ashley's season has been much more successful than Dai's, results-wise.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Lacoste did not win a GP gold and silver and bronze at the GPF. Daleman beat Lacoste last year and this year. Ashley was the reigning champ. Their situations can't be compared.

Ashley has still earned her spot. It's a question of whether its Polina or Mirai who she will replace. It's horribly unfair to the latters but really makes the most sense. If Ashley had Mirai's or Gracie's GP season, then it would probably be a no brainer to leave her off the team but the reality is that her past two seasons have been very strong. It's the reason Dai is on the Japanese team even though he was beaten by Kozuka/Oda, and Ashley's season has been much more successful than Dai's, results-wise.

You can't compare the American and Canadian selection process. Canada is strictly on I believe ranking at nationals or at least most of it whereas Japan, Russia and US look at a lot of other factors or past performances which would give Ashley a good chance in a situation where Polina and Mirai don't hae much to show. I would think though the US Skating Assn might send one skater to world's and one to the olympics or they could have the gall and send the one skater they want to both ala Daisuke which was really painful for Kosuka and Oda both top ten skaters if not possibly top 5. I am hpay yes, Mirai skated well but I hope well some kind of happy resolution though I am afraid someone has to lose and not go to Sochi. Oh and Ameli wasn't even sure of being on a the podiu. I admit stylistically she is beautiful to watch but she doesnt' have the jumps Daleman is the future; she has the tricks now needs to work on the package and program

wallylutz

Medalist
You can't compare the American and Canadian selection process. Canada is strictly on I believe ranking at nationals or at least most of it whereas Japan, Russia and US look at a lot of other factors or past performances which would give Ashley a good chance in a situation where Polina and Mirai don't hae much to show. I would think though the US Skating Assn might send one skater to world's and one to the olympics or they could have the gall and send the one skater they want to both ala Daisuke which was really painful for Kosuka and Oda both top ten skaters if not possibly top 5. I am hpay yes, Mirai skated well but I hope well some kind of happy resolution though I am afraid someone has to lose and not go to Sochi. Oh and Ameli wasn't even sure of being on a the podiu. I admit stylistically she is beautiful to watch but she doesnt' have the jumps Daleman is the future; she has the tricks now needs to work on the package and program

Unfortunately, you are completely incorrect in your assertion. It is true that USFS and Skate Canada differs when it comes to their Olympic / World team selection process, however, Canada has maintained far greater flexibility in whom to send vs. the U.S. and in fact, doesn't even guarantee that the Canadian Champion will be sent. The United States has only recently taken back the guarantee clause given to U.S. Champions but has so far never left the U.S. Champion off the team, not even Tonya Harding. However, when Lacoste best Phaneuf at the 2012 Canadian Nationals, Skate Canada asked the two to have a skate off at 4CC. The fact that teams seemed to match national results are more or less due to the fact that Canadian teams tend to be top heavy, meaning the gap between the Canadian Champion and the 2nd and 3rd place finisher tend to be large, therefore, those fighting for the 2nd or 3rd spot usually had little international results to show for - therefore defaulting to national results. But as the Lacoste / Phaneuf debacle showed clearly, Skate Canada retains far more flexibility in what they can do and you will likely never see the USFS asking the U.S. Champion to have a skate off at the 4CC.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is a lock.

And... I really want Polina to go! I don't think age or lack of international competition are really factors, sometimes the younger... the careless and fearless you are. Nerves or pressure do not seem to be a problem for her, She's confident and I'm rooting for her all the way, I think She earned a spot tonight.

Now the thing and big question of course is Ashley... Who will be turned away? Polina or Mirai? or none? I can't wait for tomorrow. I love Ashley but then again the other girls worked as hard as her.

In my opinion... My Olympic team is: Gracie, Polina and Ashley.

As much as i Mirai that might be the best team. Mirai isn't the skater she was 4 years ago even though she did well tonight. She's simply slower and her spins are not what they once were. But Ashley is going to feel rather sheepish if she does get put on the team. With Gracie and Ashley helping Polina they can help guide her in her first international Senior event. The Olympics :eek: Besides i want to see some new blood in Sochi.

anddv

Spectator
I'm definitely rooting for Polina! Saw her programs for the US Championships and they were really good.. I definitely think she would be a contender at Sochi!

Sacto95834

Rinkside
I agree Gracie's place is locked. The US Champion, assuming age eligible to go, is on the team period. I always wondered, if the Champion cannot go due to age, does the silver medalist moved up to the "for sure" position?? <<<---- I STAND CORRECTED, IT USED TO BE THE CHAMPION WAS AUTOMATICALLY NAMED, BUT THIS HAS CHANGED. However, I still think Gracie is the only one with a 99% chance to make the team. :mad:

The rest of the team is the question. I do not envy the USFSA International Committee. They are really in a box on this one. On the one hand: Gracie and Ashley got us three spots on the team due to their efforts at last World, would seem ungrateful not to send both of them. Ashley also did very well at the Grand Prix events in 2013, capped by a bronze at the GP Finals. Mirai has won numerous GP medals since 2010. Polina had her moment and showed much promise at this year's Nationals, seems unfair to penalize her due to age.

There is ample precedence to send non-top finishers at the most recent Nationals to the Olympics. What to do?? In the end, I think the Ladies Olympic Team will be the top finishers: Gracie, Polina and Mirai - it's really the least controversial team, an easy out for the International Committee. I think they would have kicked Mirai off had Ashley lost by a few points; however, Ashley had a really bad showing - 4th in the short; 5th in the long; two falls and what looks like several two footed landings on jumps in the long. Bad luck. Additionally, Ashley has no World medal and realistically isn't that much of a medal contender. The top ladies at the Olympics would have to make several mistakes and Ashley would have to have the skates of her life to medal....winning is out of the question. Thus, all things considered, not enough to bump Mirai, who by the way is the only one with Olympic experience.

I do think as a token prize, the World Team will be Gracie, Mirai and Ashley. Polina will be sent to Jr. Worlds. This seems fair enough. All top contenders will be sent to a World Championship of some sort.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'd like to see the American team consisting of Gracie, Ashley and Polina.

Any figure skating federation should pick clear and transparent rules and stick to them. Otherwise you are playing with skaters' lives. It would be completely unfair to suddenly change the way you pick the team because the 'wrong' skater failed to meet the criteria.

I think that Wagner is more deserving of an Olympic spot than Nagasu but I don't see any document or statement where USFS is saying they will consider results from different competitions (and in what way exactly). In fact, there are no clear cut rules at all, which is :rolleye:. All we have is past practice which is almost always going on Nationals' results. Therefore, Gold, Edmunds and Nagasu should be named.

If Nagasu is left off the team, I hope she sues.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I think they should go with the top three. Yeah people are saying Polina will have her chance in the future but who knows, in another year puberty could hit and she could lose all her jumps. I'm not really a fan of Ashley and although she has been the top U.S lady the past 2 years I think she's been mostly overscored this season. It's so sad because you want everyone to be happy, but she blew it. If there was some valid reason that caused her to perform poorly like being injured or sick, then I think she would have a case. Daisuke making the Olympic team was justifiable because he was injured and his credentials eclipse anything Ashley has ever done. If they do boot someone off I'm afraid it will be Mirai.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree Gracie's place is locked. The US Champion, assuming age eligible to go, is on the team period. I always wondered, if the Champion cannot go due to age, does the silver medalist moved up to the "for sure" position?? <<<---- I STAND CORRECTED, IT USED TO BE THE CHAMPION WAS AUTOMATICALLY NAMED, BUT THIS HAS CHANGED. However, I still think Gracie is the only one with a 99% chance to make the team. :mad:

The rest of the team is the question. I do not envy the USFSA International Committee. They are really in a box on this one. On the one hand: Gracie and Ashley got us three spots on the team due to their efforts at last World, would seem ungrateful not to send both of them. Ashley also did very well at the Grand Prix events in 2013, capped by a bronze at the GP Finals. Mirai has won numerous GP medals since 2010. Polina had her moment and showed much promise at this year's Nationals, seems unfair to penalize her due to age.

There is ample precedence to send non-top finishers at the most recent Nationals to the Olympics. What to do?? In the end, I think the Ladies Olympic Team will be the top finishers: Gracie, Polina and Mirai - it's really the least controversial team, an easy out for the International Committee. I think they would have kicked Mirai off had Ashley lost by a few points; however, Ashley had a really bad showing - 4th in the short; 5th in the long; two falls and what looks like several two footed landings on jumps in the long. Bad luck. Additionally, Ashley has no World medal and realistically isn't that much of a medal contender. The top ladies at the Olympics would have to make several mistakes and Ashley would have to have the skates of her life to medal....winning is out of the question. Thus, all things considered, not enough to bump Mirai, who by the way is the only one with Olympic experience.

I do think as a token prize, the World Team will be Gracie, Mirai and Ashley. Polina will be sent to Jr. Worlds. This seems fair enough. All top contenders will be sent to a World Championship of some sort.

That would be my team too. Polina earned her way to Sochi Wagner did not. Having Wagner at Worlds would help to keep that 3rd spot and Polina would probably have no problem going to Jr World.

AlexaD

Rinkside
Wagner didn't earn it, but she has experience Internationally and the backing of many sponsors who are counting on her to be at the Olympics.

Money talks.

I think Ashley, Gracie and Mirai are going. I hate to see Polina disappointed after a great showing, but she isn't known at all internationally and will be sticking around the next four years to make a name for herself.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I said something similar on another thread buried down as the 1000th response or something, but I think that IF they decide to give a bye to anyone who makes the GPF or medals at the GPF--and I think it's a good idea-- it should be announced before the Nationals even start. They should tell the skaters that there are only two slots open, not three.

Therefore, the team would be Gracie, Polina and Ashley. It would be sad for Mirai, but the rules would have been understood by everybody.

Now they're in the position of picking someone off a team they deserve to be on based on what? Subjective criteria. And I hate to say this, but you know it will not look good if they throw off Mirai and replace her with Ashley. I remember that there were cries of racism when the darker, Middle-Eastern Armin was replaced by blonde-haired Richard at the 4CC a few years ago. I'm afraid the same thing would come up, fairly or not.

I think they should try to talk Polina into going to the Jr. Worlds instead, and when she gets mad and insists that she belongs in the Olympics, it's bye-bye Ashley.

Barb

Record Breaker
Well first I think Ashley, Gracie, Polina and Mirai have really bad LP programs, especially Ashley and Gracie, really boring programs and music :disapp:.

About the selection, I am reading the criteria were not written yesterday :sarcasm:, ladies aleready knew USFS will take in count other events. It is not fair for Ashley because this is only a national competition, they are competing only against local skaters, Ashley already competed against the best in the world in GP events, she did compete against Mao Asada, Elena Radionova, Adelina Sotnikova, Julia L.. Ashley even won over a really good performance of Mao in 4CC 2012 :yes:.

So if the girls know the criteria why Polina not move to seniors like Elena R. this season :unsure:? , Elena is younger. Polina had a really bad performance in Mexico JGP and she not even won the JGPF, she competed against junior Little girls and she didn´t win, Ashley had to compete against the best in the world. And in this nationals Polina not had a super great performance, her jumps are good, not very pretty but good, the rest of her skating is juniorish and she had a fall, no way that in international competition and less in the OG they will gave that scores, she being clean is not near to pódium in Sochi:disapp:. People is saying Ashley has not opportunity to medal, Polina has less opportunity, if she at least would be showed a performance like Julia L., or Tara in her time ok, but she didn´t. I don´t know about her future, she is very tall and she is only 15yo, prbably she will grow up more or at least she will gain some weight.
And I love Mirai but she was overscored, she is more charismatic than Polina, I don´t know if she deserve Sochi over Polina.

So, people can to say whatever they want but the rules were not written yesterday or today and the girls already knew it, they could to do a better effort in previous competitions if they wanted to go to Sochi . And If Ashley, Mirai and Polina do a clean performance in Sochi I bet Ashley would get better scores.