Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Polina Edmunds

Banned
    Happy Birthday to Bubbly Blonde Polina

As time fades, a legend grows... RABID's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflakebeautiful View Post
    Would just like to wish a Happy Birthday to Polina!! I think she has a bright future ahead of her; and can't wait to watch where she goes over the next quad!!

From Nationals to Worlds I have seen amazing growth. It was indeed the right thing to send her to the Olympics. She saw what world class skating looks like and feels like and it has been invaluable to her skating (my youtube comment, but it is exactly how I feel). What a birthday it must have been for her; what a year!

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Rabid I agree!! And for being young, she did very well at the Olympics!! I feel like over the coming years she has the potential (growth, interest, etc. aside) to really be a frontrunner, so I'm excited to see where she goes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FsT...ature=youtu.be

Polina new LP , I love the program and her skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FsT...ature=youtu.be

Polina new LP , I love the program and her skating
    only watched the first few seconds because i'd rather wait to see it 'close up', but i right away noticed greatly improved upper-body movement... wow. lets see if she remains chronically underrated

Here's a nice article on Polina.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/08/15/89738848

Excited to see how Polina does this week at the US classic!!!!

As time fades, a legend grows... RABID's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aromaticchicken View Post
    Excited to see how Polina does this week at the US classic!!!!
    I believe she won!
    http://www.examiner.com/article/u-s-...-recap?cid=rss

Im a little worried for her after Cup of China. He technique is getting away from her.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    Im a little worried for her after Cup of China. He technique is getting away from her.
    I think its because of her height

Tripping on the Podium
    New Music

Late last summer, Polina Edmunds posted an Instagram picture of herself on her website. She was posed on a lawn half shadowed, wearing a flowing, dark green blouse, white capri pants, and purple shoes which seemed made for the dance. Her right arm was raised in graceful gesture, as though reaching out to someone, and her left trailed behind her. The caption was, “Peter Pan, will you fly me away to Neverland?”

What it meant was that her strange, wonderful journey was continuing. It had begun when she was almost an unknown, winning the United States Junior Ladies gold medal and then the Senior Ladies silver medal at the National Championships last January in Boston, in the process becoming a member of the United States Olympic and World figure skating teams.

Now she was going further in and further up, with new programs that would further reveal her great gift for combining figure skating with the dance. The short program would be to a flamenco medley drawn from compositions by Johann Sebastian Bach, allowing her to demonstrate a flair for drama and passion, though as a young woman would understand them. It is this last quality, perhaps, which gives it a special charm, as a play upon a theme just coming into being.

The free skate is set to music drawn from James Newton Howard’s score for Peter Pan, especially the “Fairy Dance.” A prolific composer, Howard had found his métier in these pieces, with their suggestion of Celtic climes and dances. The routine is lovely and lyrical, as though taking place in that period between first light and sunrise, the domain of fairies, when we still sleep and the world is theirs. The pose in the Instagram picture was taken from it, marking a brief interlude midway through. If the music and choreography have not great drama, there is nevertheless a sense of awakening romance, bittersweet and poignant. It is something young women her own age will understand, and what the woman she is becoming will remember.

Every artistic composition carries with it an ideal, however, of how it would appear, if perfectly realized. In dance or skating, the performer approaches it again and again, ever more closely in some respects, or further away in others. But very occasionally, the piece and the performance are in complete harmony.

Routines as complex and ambitious as these are difficult under the best of circumstances. And yet, the talent they give expression to, in Polina, makes possible as well their complete and perfect realization. Were it otherwise, it would be a denial of her great gifts as well as of the giver. The work she has done, the help of the marvelous people around her, and the setting of the national championships in an area of the country known for its hospitality, will bring her so close to the realization of what was intended that she cannot help but find it. She need only whisper to herself, “I do believe, I do believe,” and all will be well.

Indeed, she will be uplifted, even to Neverland, and many hearts will be borne with her.
    Last edited by Parsifal3363; 01-12-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Where She Is

There have been a number of comments on this site about how Polina should be changed. The hair with its braids, the skating dress with its fancy design, and the long program, conceived as a “fairy dance,” all should be made over. Some would also want her to skate faster and more aggressively, to be less “juvenile” and, evidently, more dramatic.

What they seem to want, however, is for her to be like everyone else and to fit the mold of their expectations. What they should be interested in is who she is and how that might best be given expression. It is only the question they would ask regarding their own favorites.

From a distanced perspective, she seems to be a very sunny young woman, affectionate and fun-loving, but with an unusual seriousness of purpose. When she is interviewed, there is a refreshing frankness to what she says, but also the articulateness that comes not only with intelligence, but reflection. She has been thoughtfully guided, but is not being driven to do what she does. She comes to it now on her own, out of her own heart and desires, and her remarks show an understanding of what is required and why, if she is to accomplish that purpose.

There is also a wonderful transparency to her, in those interviews or public appearances, but especially in her performances. She is quite sensitive—to beauty and love, and to other things which are a part of life—yet has a character of such strength and centeredness that she can allow herself to be, without the barriers raised by those who have not that strength.

Her special talent, of course, is that of the dance. As in her programs last season and even more so now, she does not merely skate to the music but becomes the music. Even as light and sound are but variations of each other, so are line and movement the equivalent of the music. One could merely watch her, the sound turned down, and there would still be a kind of music.

These past few months have been ones of great change for her. As she says, she is in the process of going from being a child to a woman. It is always difficult and many other skaters have not emerged from it with their talent intact. For her, there is a suggestion of even greater potential being realized. As a girl, she brought great innocence and joy to her skating. As the young woman she is becoming, there is not less of that innocence or joy, but a greater sense of how it might be given expression in a world in which beauty is often vulnerable.

No doubt she will continue to change, as she goes further in and further up. For now, the delicate artistry of her skating, in its lyric grace but also in her presentation, in hair and costume and manner, show the place where she is. It is lovely, filled with light and alive to the wonders awaiting her. She is not unaware of the shadows which are also part of it, but will address them now as later, in her own way and in her own time, whether it be in performance or life.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I just hope if she does change anything it's because she wants to. There is plenty of "been there...done that"in this sport but the most important thing for me is seeing people express without a doubt their true self and interpretation of FS.

I also think she is having a rough season so for some reason many figure skating fans decide that it's time to start pointing out any flaws that they percieve. For whatever reasons I'm sure ill never understand.
    Last edited by Sam-Skwantch; 01-18-2015 at 10:48 AM.

I hope she continues to grow, she doesn't have to be 100% perfect right now. I hope she skates well at Nationals and uses that momentum to keep going. She's a lovely girl and gifted skater.

Custom Title
    I still find it annoying how Park so youn and Polina have been awarded comparatively much lower PC scores than their competitors this season. Sure, low marks in transition may be justified but the rest I just can't find myself to justify in my mind. And it's not simply because they are one of my favourites, I should add.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast