Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Polina Edmunds

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    If I understand correctly, then Cesario, Hicks and Siraj didn't compete against her when she won JN. Because they were competing in the senior event.
    Yes.

Last season Edmunds won Junior Nationals.

Cesario, Hicks and Siraj competed in Seniors. All of them scored higher than Edmunds and USFS decided to send them and not her to Junior Worlds.

Reason #225435 for why all USFS officials should get whacked on both knees with a retractable police baton. (Where is Jeff Gillooly when you need him?)

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    If true, isn't that seriously underweight?? A Girl 5'4 even if slim should not weigh 70 pounds.
    An ordinary girl, no. A competitive athlete, yes.

If you look at BMI of competitive athletes in endurance sports and sports like figure skating or ski jumping where you should be as light as possible, it's going to be extremely low. But BMI was never meant to be used as a tool for individual diagnosis of a healthy weight. Body fat ratio is what you want to look at.

She is very skinny but I think is normal because she is 15yo,you can look some girls in junior high school are very thin, I think she is in pediatric scales yet. The problem is if she dont gain weight in The next years, I dont like right now, she is so Boring for me. I hope in 1 or 2 years she will improve, she is very young.

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    She is very skinny but I think is normal because she is 15yo,you can look some girls in junior high school are very thin, I think she is in pediatric scales yet. The problem is if she dont gain weight in The next years, I dont like right now, she is so Boring for me. I hope in 1 or 2 years she will improve, she is very young.
    This is her body type and this is her age. She's basically a tall little girl. Now that she is in the spotlight I expect she is going to get all the professional assistance available to her and that includes nutritional experts as well. I would be very surprised if her body type changes; getting very breasty, hippy or heavy. But she can get more muscle mass and develop more power. Anyway, I am sure she'll be a topic of conversation on this board for a few years anyway. Right now she appears to have a mind like a steel trap; little garbage gets in her head, always a good thing.

Custom Title
    I like Polina a lot, but I, too, think she may grow too tall. Yes, she is skinny, but her arms and legs are quite long. I guess we will see. She did have some great content in her program.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Where is Jeff Gillooly when you need him?

FYI I'm seriously considering using this instead of my "I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!!"

Custom Title
    USFS has had a history of sending to JW Senior skaters who are still junior-age-eligible. Apparently they aren't doing that this year: they are sending the gold and silver Junior medalists Amber Glenn and Tyler Pierce, both of whom debuted on the JGP this season, and Karen Chen, who would have gone to the JGPF but withdrew due to injury. Karen also withdrew from Nationals due to injury. If she isn't able to go to JW, the first alternate is Hannah Miller (9th-Senior Ladies).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    Is Polina really 5'4 and just 70 pounds? The NYT article said 4 years ago she was 4'11 and 70 pounds and now she is 5'4 but the same weight.

If true, isn't that seriously underweight?? A Girl 5'4 even if slim should not weigh 70 pounds.
    I don't see any NYT article that mentions her weight as 70lbs- that would be pure anorexia if true, although mid 90's sounds more realistic. Also, in the photo of Polina jumping in midair, you can see how developed she is in the upper body- shoulders and arms.
    She's thin, but very toned and fit.

Custom Title
    I don't believe Polina is only 70 lbs. We were in the first row on the ice at the gala and she doesn't look like she's that skinny. Meryl Davis actually looks like she weighs less and no one is picking on her.

But I will say this - this young girl needs a stylist and a hairdresser!

Rinkside
    Polina skates so hard, its unreal. Do you guys feel me? She definetly deserved it and no one else skates harder than Polina. All of you saying shes too young you are dumb because shes young yes but shes needs the experience if USA wants to win any more future gold medals. ****
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-16-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Delete inappropriate language.

I figure, why not. Polina's mother helped her get here.
    Procter & Gamble's tribute to moms for the Sochi Olympics.
    Get your handkerchiefs ready. For you moms out there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=57e4t-fhXDs

Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I figure, why not. Polina's mother helped her get here.
    Procter & Gamble's tribute to moms for the Sochi Olympics.
    Get your handkerchiefs ready. For you moms out there.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=57e4t-fhXDs
    :

Custom Title
    Forgot to mention it earlier but the 3T on Polina's 3z-3t combo reminds me a lot of Meissner's. Was there any overlap in their training/coaching?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Forgot to mention it earlier but the 3T on Polina's 3z-3t combo reminds me a lot of Meissner's. Was there any overlap in their training/coaching?
    Really? Edmunds 3t looked fully rotated, Kimmie had major toe axel (if that's the correct term)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    Really? Edmunds 3t looked fully rotated, Kimmie had major toe axel (if that's the correct term)
    I agree Edmunds was fully rotated and higher (though Meissner gets a much deeper lutz edge), but it's the look of the 3T that I found reminiscent for some reason:

Edmunds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8NFjfsuyYg#t=6m22s
    Meissner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1VaoEWyBeQ#t=5m50s

Custom Title
    Thanks! Yeah, now I see what you mean, esp. with the arms right before the toe. Kimmie's lutz edge looks almost too deep, if that's possible.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast