The Worst Programs... | Golden Skate

The Worst Programs...

sk8m8

Final Flight
Not that I love to bash or anything (actually I don't) however, truth is truth, or at least fact is fact.

What are some of your LEAST favorite programs (OLY eligible or Pro) that you have witnessed?

I'll start with a lady that I love...Tonya Kwiatkowski. THe first year or so after she turned pro, she skated with the Elvis S tour in Canada. She did a number to Janet Jackson's "Black Cat" which was horrendous. Considering the Tonya's grace and carriage on the ice, all the sprawling and gyratin on the ice ( and by that I mean torso grinding the surface performing) dissppointed me and reminded me that it's Figure skating not Ice Rolling" Perhaps she knew the Canadians were so enamoured with Curling that she thought she'd attempt to incorporate it into her routine.

What are your favorite numbers to hate?

Remember, I'm not looking for bashing of skaters that fell all over the place. THat's too common, I'm really thinking of good skaters that made bad/strange choices that didn't suit them or weren't really good skating or entertainment.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ivan Dinev, who I really like, for his long program in last Olympic season, did this pseudo-Mariachi/techno/folk dance thing that was just absolutely awful. Lots of "happy dancing" and standing and modeling (more like standing and capering, in this case); couldn't believe such a talented skater would come up with something like that for an Olympic year.

Wasn't thrilled with Fusar-Poli/Margaglio's "I Will Survive", either. Way too cheesy, and if they were going to do it, what was wrong with the Gloria Gaynor version?

Can't imagine Tonia Kwiatkowski, a skater I have a huge amount of respect for, doing "Black Cat" -- it's not exactly suited to her style.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Hughes's Ave Maria SP. I think it's just horrendous.

Onda's SP this season. The whole point has me :confused:

Any of the Duschenay's programs. Watching them, I find myself just very put off.

B&K's Riverdance. I guess that goes to show you can just run on your blade/toe pick, and win a World Medal.

Thinking of all these programs is starting to irritate me, I better stop.

TV

jesslily

Final Flight
I wish Onda pay some attention about her music choice and choreography. Since she popped to international scene I haven't seen a program really making her standing out.

Kasey

Medalist
I didn't like either of Plushenko's programs in the Olympic year. I actually LIKED the program he was going to use at the Oly's, that he debuted at the GPF....and then he goes off and changes it to "Carmen". I just think "Carmen" has been a bit overdone!

I like Michael Weiss, but I don't like this year's long program.

I'm sure there are more that put me off so much I'm just blocking them out!

Kasey

shine

Record Breaker
I nominate Sokolova's LP this year. Joubert's sp comes close too. Goebel's sp is also a must see.

brenlynn

On the Ice
there was one that popped in my mind before anything else...

jennifer robinson's teach me tiger :sheesh: i have only seen her live a small handful of times and i think the only show i've seen her in that she didn't skate to that was CSOI. someone needs a new exhibition.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Katerina Witt 1988 Carmen- I remember losing my patience with all that mugging and posing. I like to see skating when I watch skating. I was so happy Liz Manley won the free skate and wished she had gotten the gold. She gave her very best the whole time she was out there.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
People! People! People! What are you THINKING? The absolute worst program ever was Scott & Dulebohn's "Pink Panther" travesty of last year! Yes, it was just an exhibition program, but doesn't the memory of it just make you CRINGE? Wasn't that costume just the most horrible spectacle you've ever seen?!:rolleye: :eek: :rolleye: :eek:

shine

Record Breaker
I think some people (me included) just don't consider it qualifies as a "program", while others just have blocked it from their memory...

I liked the Pink Panther. It reminded me of when I first went to the Ice Capades, and they had skaters dressed up in animal costumes and as Disney characters. That was cool. I've liked ice skating ever since.:laugh:

Mathman

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oh dear-worst programs-this is hard. I tend to forget things easily, especially those that I truly want to forget. But given that:

Kurt Brownings exhibition in Oakland, when he pretended to be miming different sports that people engaged in in Canada, including lying on his back on the ice fishing.

Ryan Jahnke's program from this year. I'm sorry to those of you who loved this program, but I found the music annoying, the costume clashing in colors. And I saw it live twice. (sadly for me)

Michael Weiss's this year's program-not his skating of it, which at Nationals was about as good as I have seen Michael, the program.

Candeloro's George of the Jungle and Wild Wild West programs, without doubt the worst

F-P/M's techno Romeo and Juliet

rjulie510

Rinkside
Worst programs

Lobacheva and Averbuhk's (sp?) 2003 free dance -I'm not an ice dance expert, but that has to be the worst free dance ever coming from reigning world champions.
Candeloro's george of the jungle was HORRIBLE.
Scott and Dulebohn's Pink Panther was very bad. Ann Patice McDonough's Swan Lake was bad as well.

Antilles

Medalist
My favourite skaters of all time are Anissina and Perizerat. That being said, I was sooo dissappointed with their last LP-Liberta. It almost moved me to tears of frustration because all of their other FDs were amazing. Lucky for them the other top teams had crappy programs too.

I agree about Weiss' LP this year. Especially the first ten seconds.

I hated just about everything Boitano did in his first five or so years as a pro. They all looked the same, and men should not wear tights like that. Didn't like his film noir ones either.

Bourne and Kraatz's March with Me. Just didn't like it. They had other great stuff though.

S&P's Tristan and Iseult (sp?) and Orchid. I think they were trying to recapture Love Story, but it didn't work, IMO.

mpal2

Final Flight
I must say that Scott & Dulebohn's exhibtion this year would qualify as a bad program. It was a poor imitation of Brasseur & Eisler and they didn't have the excitement to pull it off.

After their last 2 years of exhibitions at Nationals, I think I'll just take a potty break next year.

Enero

On the Ice
Antilles said:
My favourite skaters of all time are Anissina and Perizerat. That being said, I was sooo dissappointed with their last LP-Liberta. It almost moved me to tears of frustration because all of their other FDs were amazing. Lucky for them the other top teams had crappy programs too.

I agree. I thought the choregraphy was wonderful, but the music was horrendous.

kappa_1

On the Ice
In the past Kwan's programs have gave me chills upon chills upon chills (Salome, Lyra, Taj Mahal, Ariane, Aranjuez...THe list goes on and on), but her Song of the Black Swan and Miraculous Mandarin did absolutely nothing for me, ugh. Maybe some regard them as brilliant but I couldn't stand seeing them at all.

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I agree about Miraculous Mandarin. I'd read so much about it I decided to download it, thinking it couldn't possibly be that bad.
I changed my mind.
I suppose the problem isn't totally the program, it may have worked with another skater. It just didn't seem right for Michelle.

Also agree about Weiss's LP this year. That beginning with the little dance makes me cringe every single time.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I think Michelle's Miraculous Mandarin is pretty good. It's totally different than all her other programs. The inbetweens are much more complicated than her normal programs which are mostly predictable. Frankly speaking, I really like the Miraculous Mandarin program. Unfortunately when Michelle competed with it, her jumps were not that solid, so she was not that sure about the whole program.