The Worst Programs... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Worst Programs...

I think in Michelle's case it's all in the execution. She performed Miraculous Mandarin only once, not particularly well, so we never got a chance to see what that program might have become.

As for Song of the Black Swan, I think Michelle struggled with the music all season long. The music was beautiful, but dark and somewhat joyless. Even so, if we had not seen any performance of the program except 2001 Worlds, we would have thought the program was brilliant.

Same with Scheherazade. If Michelle had nailed the technical content and skated with fire and passion, I think this program would now be regarded as a masterpiece instead of a disappointment.

Mathman

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
DORISPULASKI said:
Candeloro's George of the Jungle and Wild Wild West programs, without doubt the worst

I would add to that list Candeloro´s "Cast-away" (LOL, was that the name...?) programme in Hallmark Pro 2001.

Urmanov´s programme with that long cape (Phantom of the Opera?) from World Pro 1999 was rather horrible as a skating programme.

Marjaana

mariana

On the Ice
A&P LP Olympic program; L&A 2003 worlds LP; and F-P&M I will survive.
This year Scott & Duleborn? LP
Last year Plushenko's world exhibition

:cry: All this programs make re think about watching worlds this year:)

Last edited:

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
Ryan Jahnke's program from this year. I'm sorry to those of you who loved this program, but I found the music annoying, the costume clashing in colors. And I saw it live twice. (sadly for me)

Michael Weiss's this year's program-not his skating of it, which at Nationals was about as good as I have seen Michael, the program.

Candeloro's George of the Jungle and Wild Wild West programs, without doubt the worst

I wasn't crazy about Ryan Jahnke's costume this year, but I have to say I much preferred this year's program to his long program last year! UGH. The outfit, the makeup, the music. everything. I have to say that this year he won me over, begrudgingly.

Michael's program this year is just a disaster. I'm not much of a Michael fan, I admit, but I have liked him in the past- like when he was skating to Santana. His current program with the marching at the beginning is just awful. And I think the trick skates belong in professional shows.

I NEVER thought Candeloro was sexy enough to be pulling off his shirt! :rolleye:

Finally, one of my least favorite skates was Elvis Stoyko's martial arts routine. Although I think Michael's LP this year surpasses it.

jesslily

Final Flight
Talking about Michelle's worst program, it should be 2000 long, Red Violin. The music is sparkless, it's rather kind of depressing. The choreography left nothing in my memory. But her Black Swan is pretty good. Her performance at 2001 National and World all left great spark.

thvudragon

On the Ice
mariana said:
A&P LP Olympic program; L&A 2003 worlds LP; and F-P&M I will survive.
Why does everyone seem to hate A&P's 01-02 FD Liberta? I think it was a great FD, and fail to see why anyone would find that offensive, especially after MLK Jr's family have said they were touched by the fact that they used him in their theme.

L&A's FD, I didn't like it either, but I would hardly say it's one of the worst programs. FP&M's too, it's not a good FD, but it's great as an exhibition.

Oooo, I thought of another one. B&K's MJ FD. It was just so wrong in almost every sense of the word.

TV

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Whoa Jess, I think Michelle's best program of all time is the "Red Violin"........anyway

I agree Jaana......Urmanov's "cape" routines left me wanting.....wanting him to stop.

I "second" whoever said that men shouldn't wear tights while skating......I recall a spoof number that Scott did wearing such an outfit...................42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

Same with Scheherazade. If Michelle had nailed the technical content and skated with fire and passion, I think this program would now be regarded as a masterpiece instead of a disappointment.

Mathman

I agree -- however, I also think that if Lori Nichol had choreographed it instead of Sarah Kawahara, it would have been a much better program to start with. I really thought that Michelle and Scheherezade would be an ideal combination, but it was a very disapointing program.

I didn't like Miraculous Mandarin either. I didn't have a problem with the style departure that Michelle was attempting, I just couldn't figure out for the life of me what she was going for with that. I wouldn't put it down as one of the worst I've ever seen, though.

Could have done without Bourne & Kraatz's March With Me as well... The music was so annoying it was just about enough to drive you out of the arena. The dance itself I might have liked had I ever seen it with the sound turned off! Tho I don't think it was one of their better ones anyway.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
She performed Miraculous Mandarin only once, not particularly well, so we never got a chance to see what that program might have become.
Kwan performed this program when it was only two-three weeks old. At the same time, she was still practicing her primary LP.

Enero

On the Ice
thvudragon said:
Why does everyone seem to hate A&P's 01-02 FD Liberta? I think it was a great FD, and fail to see why anyone would find that offensive, especially after MLK Jr's family have said they were touched by the fact that they used him in their theme.

TV

I didn't have a problem with them using MLK's speech, my problem was with the music. I think if they would've chosen a better score to put it with, it would have been a much more powerful program.

I also didn't like MK's Scherezade program, and maybe that was because she performed it so lackluster at the Olympics. Another program I hated was Nancy Kerrigan's long and short programs at the 92' Olympics. It didn't help that she was terrible in the long program, but the music for both programs was downright snooze worthy.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I must have blocked Sokolova's exhibition number after 2003 Worlds. It did give us the chance to hear Dick Button being nice while Peggy was snippy. Upsetting the natural order of things is a pretty powerful impact for a program to make. I do give some credit for that.

It was probably the HUH?? skate of the competition for me. It's a good thing she had the cross on the back of her costume. Otherwise, I would have thought she was skating in a giant Hefty bag. I'm demanding. I like to see skating and the skater each time I watch skating. What really lost me was when she dropped the robes and finished the program in the halter top and pantsuit. Was she giving up being a monk to go clubbing?:confused:

Jhar55

Medalist
Almost all of Michael Wiess programs. I just don't care for him at all. And I very much agree with B&K March With Me, hated the music. I think a pair couple used it last year and still didn't like it.
The Pink Panter would have worked for a Disney on ice type of show, the little kiddies would have loved it.
A&P's Olympic not only the music but the outfits were very bad.

Skating is fun

Rinkside
Viktor Petrenko "Jailhouse Rock"
Brian Boitano "Murder Mystery" from Ice Wars 2003 (both!!)
Rudy Galindo "Big Spender"
Kurt Browning`s Clown routine
Lu Chen "Peel me a Grape"
Michelle Kwan "Red Violin"
Oksana Baiul "All that Jazz"
Kristi Yamaguchi`s Bjork routine
G&P "Frozen"
Rahkamo & Kokko "La Strada"
Bechke & Petrov 1994 Olympic LP

And most of them are among my all-time favourite skaters...I could add a whole lot of routines from i.e. Candeloro, Yagudin, Plushenko, Abt, Kerrigan, Cohen, B&S, S&P, FP&M or N&K, but I find it much harder to watch your favourite skaters doing a piece you think is crappy and does not work for her/him/them at all.

Johar

Medalist
Alexei Urmanov's routine where he had a very long cape and got tripped up on it.

Pasha Grishuk's program...I don't remember the name, but there was too much sexiness to it. Some of the moves were in poor taste.

Gipson

Rinkside
shine said:
Goebel's sp is also a must see.
thvudragon said:
Ohh yes! How could I forgot the worst Mens SP ever!

I don't remember his SP too well. What was wrong with it again? I remember it being average, nothing really great or terrible stood out for me (unless that was the problem).

I have to agree with Candeloro's George of the Jungle, Castaway and Wild Wild West.

I don't like most of Weiss' exhibition numbers where he stands on his head/hands, and tries to disco dance.

B&K's March With Me

Plushenko's exhibition where he wore that muscle suit and stripped to a g-string type bottom(with the muscle suit under it).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have one more: Yagudin´s "One Banana" performance in Worlds 1997. It has not been mentioned yet, I think?

Marjaana

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ryan Jahnke (sp) Long Program

I don't know if this qualifies as a "worst" program, but since I got to watch it twice over the weekend, here goes.....

I don't think the music adds anything to the program. It's more like background noise at least to me. (I know this is a personal taste thing too) I also don't care for the costume - the puple, brown, green, organge combo.

I really like his skating style and hope that next year his music and costume add to what he's doing out there.

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Kurt's clown one of the worst programs ever??? NO WAY! I think it is one of the most brilliant programs I've ever seen. When Yags did a clown routine a year or so later, it just looked pathetic by comparison. Kurt's was original, intricate, clever--just amazing!

Just one Gal's opinion!
:D