Sandra Bezic's Golden Programs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sandra Bezic's Golden Programs

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
berthes ghost said:
Sandra has been very vocal about how dissatisfied she was working with Tara (how she was shut out and/or thwarted at every step) so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about the sameness of Tara's programs being down to Sandra's lack or inventiveness.
Basically Sandra's job was to choreograph a program for the 1 week or so she had with Tara. IIRC, there was also the issue of Tara's dislike of classical pieces that Sandra would play as possibilities for her programs. But Sandra was resigned to the fact that Tara had the final say in the music. In Christine Brennan's book 'Edge of Glory' there is a great chapter comparing how Michelle and Tara ended up with the short programs for the Olympic year. Basically, Lori Nichol pleaded with Michelle via fax to use the Rach pieces while Tara found her music after watching a rough cut of the animated movie 'Anastasia'.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually, Toller Cranston worked with Lu Chen - and choreographed her winning program in the 1995 World Championships. Loved that program! It was beautiful. One could tell it was Tollers' choreography.

He has coached and choreographed for world champions (including Lu Chen during her most successful season, culminating in the 1995 world championship).

Seonaid920

On the Ice
interesting information regarding Bezic and Nichol's interaction with Tara and Michelle. I personally loved the programs Lori Nichol choreographed for Tara Lipinski in her professional career and all of the Michelle programs. Bezic's amateur programs for Lipinski were kind of dull choreographically. I thought Bezic's best work was with Lu Chen and Kurt Browning and then with Stars on Ice.

guinevere

Final Flight
katherine2001 said:
But I never liked any of the programs that Bezic choreographed for Lulu after she turned pro. The "sex kitten" programs didn't suit her, IMHO.

ITA!!! To me Lulu became a totally different skater when she turned pro - and not in a good way. Very sad.

Thanks for this thread - I didn't think there were any Bezic pieces that I liked, but there have been several mentioned here I love, but didn't realize had been choreographed by Sandra. I think my intense dislike for Bezic-the-commentator has given me selective memory about her choreographic abilities :)

It does seem, though, that Bezic's choreography really shines when she is working with skaters who take what she gives them and run with it (i.e. Kurt, Chen as an amateur. S/Z) - but when that connection isn't there, her choreography seems quite flat. I mean, all skating choreography relies on the performance ability of the skaters, but with Bezic, it seems more like it really works, or it really doesn't. Does that make sense?

guinevere

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I pretty much enjoyed most of Sandra's choreography except it seemed too much sexy jiggling, etc. Especially for very young females. SOI in particular is supposed to be a family show.

Interesting that you mention the influence of Bezic the commentator on your feelings for her choreography since I came at it from the opposite direction. I had admired Bezic's choreography and had heard her commentate for a small event where I was just so happy to hear somebody besides Peggy. Then she did the '02 Olympics and I thought she was The Commenator--just awful.

One thing about Chen Lu's '96 Rach program is that I think programs go through cycles of choreography. For example, in the '80s, spiral sequences for ladies might be there or might not be, or maybe you couldn't tell they were spirals. Today, even before the COP, programs had become very codified: Opening with most difficult combo, the next two minutes most of toughest jumps, combo spins, spiral sequence, one tough jump past the three-minute mark, footwork in the last minute, and maybe a 2Axel near the end. Back in '96, programs had elements all over the place. Think of Michelle's "Lyra Angelica" and compare it to Lulu's "Rach '96" LP. I think they are similar in that they both reflect what I call the "impressionist" style of figure skating programs. IMO, the transtitions meld into each other, there isn't a clear cut emphasis on sections, at most you get a pause or a "slow section." Anyway, I agree with BronzeisGolden that Bezic's choreography for Lulu's "Rach" was magnificent, but it is a different style than you would see today.

My personal favorites of Bezic's choreography are two group pieces. One is from SOI '99, "Four Corners" for Elena Bechke, Katia Gordeeva, Denis Petrov, and Ilia Kulik. The men and women kept changing partners--definitely an "adult" piece--but was one of the most effective group pieces on ice I've ever seen and some of the best choreography in general I've ever seen. I also liked the way she choreographed the connected group piece, Katia's solo, and Katia and Ilia's duet for SOI '00.

In fact, I was a real Sandra Bezic fan until she opened her mouth at the Olympics, lol.
Rgirl

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel the same way about her commentate, both at 98 and 02 Olympics. Maybe after listening what she said about some skaters I paid particular attention on her choreography. I try not to let her negative comments about few very talented skaters affect my feeling on her choreography. From a few programs I watched, her choreography and commentate are around same level.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Did Bezic choreograph "Carmen on Ice"? I have a feeling that she did & it won many awards. Starred Witt, Boitano & Orser. My favorite of all her programs was Boitano's short program at the '88 Olympics.