Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Inevitable Mirai Thread

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I keep reading that Mirai was selected to 4CC and Worlds. Anyone know if that's true?
    They'll announce the other teams + The Team Competition competitors after the Men's FS.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aviva_dawn View Post
    They'll announce the other teams + The Team Competition competitors after the Men's FS.
    Geez, I can't imagine they'll leave Mirai off the world team. Unless they are worried about losing the third spot with her, but even so.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Geez, I can't imagine they'll leave Mirai off the world team. Unless they are worried about losing the third spot with her, but even so.
    If they want to maintain the 3 spots, they won't sent Marai. Ask yourself, what has Marai done for US Figure skating lately? I feel bad for Marai but she has had so many chances already and has never stepped up.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8's View Post
    If they want to maintain the 3 spots, they won't sent Marai. Ask yourself, what has Marai done for US Figure skating lately? I feel bad for Marai but she has had so many chances already and has never stepped up.
    Well, she's one of the skaters who has kept up MY interest in US Figure skating in recent years. I know it was a long time ago but I haven't liked any USA lady's skate as much as I did her 2010 FS at nationals, except for some of Alyssa's performances, which I loved even more. I can't deny that she hadn't been the same skater but I won't give up on her yet when she is clearly still showing she can't be counted out. Imagine if Mirai keeps going and manages to do as well or even better Ashley has over the next four years. Then MIRAI will be the sentimental favorite for the next Olympic team.

Mirai has every right to go to worlds. She earned it. She skated better than Ashley last night and that is that.

Rinkside
    Mirai has every right to go to worlds. She earned it. She skated better than Ashley last night and that is that.
    No one has a right to go to worlds. Or the Olympics. It's an opportunity in the gift of the USFSA. Mirai skated better last night, but Ashley has skated better for the last three years. The USFSA aren't going to consider "rights". They base their decision on who they believe genuinely has more chances of medalling.

Custom Title
    Does anyone know why Mirai does not have a coach? I can see why this is heart breaking for Mirai. Placing the fourth place finisher on the team has never happened before. I believe it is because of the advertising hype that Ashley is involved in. Lots of money wasted if she doesn't go.

Custom Title
    Agreed!!

Well, she's one of the skaters who has kept up MY interest in US Figure skating in recent years. I know it was a long time ago but I haven't liked any USA lady's skate as much as I did her 2010 FS at nationals, except for some of Alyssa's performances, which I loved even more. I can't deny that she hadn't been the same skater but I won't give up on her yet when she is clearly still showing she can't be counted out. Imagine if Mirai keeps going and manages to do as well or even better Ashley has over the next four years. Then MIRAI will be the sentimental favorite for the next Olympic team.

Custom Title
    Heart broken for Mirai. Glad I didn't have to make any decisions here! I believe Ashley (and I am hardly a fan) deserves to go base on her results from the last 3 years. I believe Gold deserves to go based on winning Nationals.

But between Mirai and Polina, I would have sent Mirai. Yes, I am a HUGE Mirai fan, but based on international results and last Olympic results, I feel Mirai has an edge. Polina may be the future and a trip to Sochi may only help her future as a developing athlete, but I feel Mirai is the present and would be a more formidable competitor.

I personally felt Polina was held up very much so at these Nationals and will not even come close to her scores with a crystal clear skate. OTOH, I believe Mirai with a clean skate could be in the mix for a top 6 placing. JMHO.

Ah, Mirai…my heart breaks for you.

Rinkside
    I agree. I admit I was rooting for Mirai and was thrilled to see her hit her jumps and the reaction of the crowd. But I still feel that she DID earn a spot on the team by finishing in the top 3. It wasn't her fault that Ashley couldn't do what she should have been able to do.

And now we have to wait and see if Ashley implodes at the Olympics with that added pressure.

I was not impressed by Polina and don't think she deserved the PCs. She skates like the 15-year-old she is, with no senior level experience and I think that's how she will be judged. We have constantly seen what happens when too much is put on youngsters not ready to handle it, look what happened to Mirai at 14. And don't get me started about our former Olympic winners, look how short their careers were. In retrospect, even the judges would have given Michelle at least one gold medal, no?

Custom Title
    At the gala Mirai got a standing ovation before she even skated! Tears from many...including her:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd0mYErCUAAFahZ.jpg

On the Ice
    Man, that is a sad photo and I do feel badly for her. I think Ashley will be heading into the Olympics with yet other distraction: guilty conscience. But...4 years ago Ashley was the one in tears.

Rinkside
    I am so relieved the USFSA didnt think about only one competition to make the decision. It would be unfair in my opinion, especially after some good seasons Ashley had in the past 2 years. I know Mirai "got" the spot by finishing in third, but in my opinion Ashley is more consistent and has a chance to do do better at Olympics, plus she has been in international events past years, and Mirai hasnt. The same thing happened when Sasha tried the spot after being 4 years distant and many people complained about that saying that "her time is over". Luckily for the USFSA, Sasha made mistakes (as always) and made it easier for them to put her out.
    Mirai is young, she can try it again, but it is important for her to be part of the whole process the next season. She is two years younger than Ashley, and Ashley is having her first experience after being left off for 1 spot last time and I hope she can do really well there.

Medalist
    Well, I guess that I was wrong. No news yet about Worlds and 4CC and Jr. Worlds Teams. I hope they announce them soon.

Custom Title
    Get your box of Puffs ready

Mirai's exhibition:
    http://youtu.be/-5d8nygK2nk

Medalist
    *Bawling*

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast