Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Canada's Olympic Team

  1. #1
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    31

    Canada's Olympic Team

    Men:
    1. Patrick Chan
    2. Kevin Reynolds
    3. Liam Firus

    Women:
    1. Kaetlyn Osmond
    2. Gabrielle Daleman

    Pairs:
    1. Duhamel/Radford
    2. Moore-Towers/Moscowitch
    3. Lawrence/Swiegers

    Ice Dance:
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Weaver/Poje
    3. Paul/Islam

  2. #2
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,641
    So sad for Lacoste, Ten, Balde, G/P... :( But no real surprises...

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    So sad for Lacoste, Ten, Balde, G/P... :( But no real surprises...
    It was hard to watch. The good thing is that most of them can continue to skate for another 4 years. I know four years is a long time, and a lot can happen in that time.

    What is really nice to see though, is the skaters that were heartbroken 4 years ago succeed this year. W/P lost out to Poirier and Crone, and were a lock for the Olympic team. Meagan felt the same disappoint when she narrowly missed an opportunity with Craig Buntin, now she was also guaranteed to make the team.

    Hopefully this will light a fire and motivate the young talents to push themselves so that they can become contenders in 4 years instead of just competitors this year.

  4. #4
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    73
    Totally agree with Scout! I am please with Skate Canada, choices I am glad they stuck with those that placed. Your never know what could happen at the Olympics and it will be such a great learning experience for the new ones.

    I wish all the skaters the best of luck and know they will all have the skate of lives.

  5. #5
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    What is really nice to see though, is the skaters that were heartbroken 4 years ago succeed this year. W/P lost out to Poirier and Crone, and were a lock for the Olympic team. Meagan felt the same disappoint when she narrowly missed an opportunity with Craig Buntin, now she was also guaranteed to make the team.
    Don't forget Kevin Reynolds. I was so bummed when he got passed over for Vaughn Chipeur in 2010.

    I don't know who I'm happiest for at the moment, Kevin, Paige and Rudi, or Alex and Mitch.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Snoopy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    142
    British Columbia gets both Kevin and Liam to represent Canada at the Olympics. BC Represent!

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Don't forget Kevin Reynolds. I was so bummed when he got passed over for Vaughn Chipeur in 2010.
    That's right!

    I just hope Kevin can get in a lot of quality training in the next 2 weeks. He ended last season on such a high note and I was hoping it would carry through to this year.

  8. #8
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22
    I like Liam Firrus skating skills but inconsistent triple axle he'll be buried....should have sent Nam for experience!

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    127
    Thrilled about the team. Not my perfect team (I would have liked to see Purich and Tran and either Rogozine or Nguyen) but its definitively the best figure skating team Canada has ever sent to the Olympics, and arguably the strongest team any country is sending. Quite an accomplishment. And luckily there has been no controversy (unlike in Japan, Russia and the United States). Skate Canada deserves a lot of praise for what they have done to develop figure skating in this country, and all the skaters deserve a lot of credit for making nationals a very enjoyable event.

    Quote Originally Posted by margiemo View Post
    I like Liam Firrus skating skills but inconsistent triple axle he'll be buried....should have sent Nam for experience!
    Nam is really, really young, though. 4CC and potentially worlds next year is quick enough for him. He clearly has a good shot at being the future of the sport in Canada but Firus beat him fair and square by a fairly large margin. If it was between him and Balde (less than a two point difference) I'd be inclined to agree but it wasn't that close. Its easy to forget that Firus probably has another quad in him - he's pretty young, too.

  10. #10
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Axis of Evil
    Posts
    2,506
    I feel absolutely crushed about Gilles/Poirer being left off the Olympic team. :(

    They have the most interesting, original and memorable FD this season. One that stands out, grabs your attention and makes a strong statement. One that is interesting and coherent conceptually. Which contains varied movement in character of the music.

    As WeakAnkles said, years from now I will probably have no memory of any of the Ice Dance programs from this season. But I sure as hell will remember "Hitchock" (and Hurtado/Diaz's "Picasso").

    I understand that all of the above is just some of the PCS aspects (well, most :P) and that there is TES and the SD as well and I am not necessarily saying that Paul/Islam do not deserve their spot. But I feel really sad that a team that has pushed the envelope and prepared something really special doesn't get to present it at the Olympics.

    They are still quite young. I hope they stick to their guns and show something even better in four years.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    They are still quite young. I hope they stick to their guns and show something even better in four years.
    Before Piper got citizenship they mentioned that it would be okay if that didn't come through because they where building up for 2018. They aren't going anywhere.

  12. #12
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677
    I was disappointed for G/P not making it on the Olympic team. I do hope they stick around for a few more years. They are really developing into a great ice dance team. I am a little concerned about Kevin Reynolds with his injuries and boot problems. I hope this does not plague him. They said he has about a month to get back on track, not really a lot of time. Oh well let us hope he can do it. Two footing his landings at the Olympics won't bode him well.

  13. #13
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I feel absolutely crushed about Gilles/Poirer being left off the Olympic team. :(

    They have the most interesting, original and memorable FD this season. One that stands out, grabs your attention and makes a strong statement. One that is interesting and coherent conceptually. Which contains varied movement in character of the .
    Failing to see the original adjective as appropriate. Most of the moves were ones either C/P did or a variation on what they did, or a copy of elements other teams have done. They do have some acrobatic lifts but then so do other teams. The only original component is music that has not been used before.

    Anyhow, skating is more than a program and on that basis alone not sufficient reason to be put on the Olympic team. They were out skated by P/I who clearly earned the spot.

  14. #14
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Axis of Evil
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Failing to see the original adjective as appropriate. Most of the moves were ones either C/P did or a variation on what they did, or a copy of elements other teams have done. They do have some acrobatic lifts but then so do other teams. The only original component is music that has not been used before.
    I was talking about the choreography and not the elements.

  15. #15
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    39
    But the elements are a large part of the choreography and the marks are based on elements. Choreography is only a very small part of the total score.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •