2. Moore-Towers/Moscowitch
3. Lawrence/Swiegers

Ice Dance:
1. Virtue/Moir
2. Weaver/Poje
3. Paul/Islam

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So sad for Lacoste, Ten, Balde, G/P... :( But no real surprises...

Scout

Final Flight

It was hard to watch. The good thing is that most of them can continue to skate for another 4 years. I know four years is a long time, and a lot can happen in that time.

What is really nice to see though, is the skaters that were heartbroken 4 years ago succeed this year. W/P lost out to Poirier and Crone, and were a lock for the Olympic team. Meagan felt the same disappoint when she narrowly missed an opportunity with Craig Buntin, now she was also guaranteed to make the team.

Hopefully this will light a fire and motivate the young talents to push themselves so that they can become contenders in 4 years instead of just competitors this year.

waterblades

On the Ice
Totally agree with Scout! I am please with Skate Canada, choices I am glad they stuck with those that placed. Your never know what could happen at the Olympics and it will be such a great learning experience for the new ones.

I wish all the skaters the best of luck and know they will all have the skate of lives. :)

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
What is really nice to see though, is the skaters that were heartbroken 4 years ago succeed this year. W/P lost out to Poirier and Crone, and were a lock for the Olympic team. Meagan felt the same disappoint when she narrowly missed an opportunity with Craig Buntin, now she was also guaranteed to make the team.
Don't forget Kevin Reynolds. I was so bummed when he got passed over for Vaughn Chipeur in 2010.

I don't know who I'm happiest for at the moment, Kevin, Paige and Rudi, or Alex and Mitch.

Snoopy15

On the Ice
British Columbia gets both Kevin and Liam to represent Canada at the Olympics. BC Represent! :)

Scout

Final Flight
Don't forget Kevin Reynolds. I was so bummed when he got passed over for Vaughn Chipeur in 2010.

That's right!

I just hope Kevin can get in a lot of quality training in the next 2 weeks. He ended last season on such a high note and I was hoping it would carry through to this year.

margiemo

Rinkside
I like Liam Firrus skating skills but inconsistent triple axle he'll be buried....should have sent Nam for experience!

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Thrilled about the team. Not my perfect team (I would have liked to see Purich and Tran and either Rogozine or Nguyen) but its definitively the best figure skating team Canada has ever sent to the Olympics, and arguably the strongest team any country is sending. Quite an accomplishment. And luckily there has been no controversy (unlike in Japan, Russia and the United States). Skate Canada deserves a lot of praise for what they have done to develop figure skating in this country, and all the skaters deserve a lot of credit for making nationals a very enjoyable event.

I like Liam Firrus skating skills but inconsistent triple axle he'll be buried....should have sent Nam for experience!

Nam is really, really young, though. 4CC and potentially worlds next year is quick enough for him. He clearly has a good shot at being the future of the sport in Canada but Firus beat him fair and square by a fairly large margin. If it was between him and Balde (less than a two point difference) I'd be inclined to agree but it wasn't that close. Its easy to forget that Firus probably has another quad in him - he's pretty young, too.

I feel absolutely crushed about Gilles/Poirer being left off the Olympic team. :(

They have the most interesting, original and memorable FD this season. One that stands out, grabs your attention and makes a strong statement. One that is interesting and coherent conceptually. Which contains varied movement in character of the music.

As WeakAnkles said, years from now I will probably have no memory of any of the Ice Dance programs from this season. But I sure as hell will remember "Hitchock" (and Hurtado/Diaz's "Picasso").

I understand that all of the above is just some of the PCS aspects (well, most :p) and that there is TES and the SD as well and I am not necessarily saying that Paul/Islam do not deserve their spot. But I feel really sad that a team that has pushed the envelope and prepared something really special doesn't get to present it at the Olympics.

They are still quite young. I hope they stick to their guns and show something even better in four years.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
They are still quite young. I hope they stick to their guns and show something even better in four years.

Before Piper got citizenship they mentioned that it would be okay if that didn't come through because they where building up for 2018. They aren't going anywhere.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was disappointed for G/P not making it on the Olympic team. I do hope they stick around for a few more years. They are really developing into a great ice dance team. I am a little concerned about Kevin Reynolds with his injuries and boot problems. I hope this does not plague him. They said he has about a month to get back on track, not really a lot of time. Oh well let us hope he can do it. Two footing his landings at the Olympics won't bode him well.

wasabi

On the Ice
I feel absolutely crushed about Gilles/Poirer being left off the Olympic team. :(

They have the most interesting, original and memorable FD this season. One that stands out, grabs your attention and makes a strong statement. One that is interesting and coherent conceptually. Which contains varied movement in character of the .

Failing to see the original adjective as appropriate. Most of the moves were ones either C/P did or a variation on what they did, or a copy of elements other teams have done. They do have some acrobatic lifts but then so do other teams. The only original component is music that has not been used before.

Anyhow, skating is more than a program and on that basis alone not sufficient reason to be put on the Olympic team. They were out skated by P/I who clearly earned the spot.

Failing to see the original adjective as appropriate. Most of the moves were ones either C/P did or a variation on what they did, or a copy of elements other teams have done. They do have some acrobatic lifts but then so do other teams. The only original component is music that has not been used before.

I was talking about the choreography and not the elements.

wasabi

On the Ice
But the elements are a large part of the choreography and the marks are based on elements. Choreography is only a very small part of the total score.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Men:
1. Patrick Chan
2. Kevin Reynolds
3. Liam Firus

Women:
1. Kaetlyn Osmond
2. Gabrielle Daleman

Ach!!! I thought Canada had 3 slots for all disciplines!!! :eek:

Absolutely gutted for Lacoste now!!! :cry: :disapp:

Obviously, I'm disappointed for Ten (and to a certain extent Balde, but at least he is young enough to have another shot in 2018), but whatever way Nationals went, Canada was going to have a strong team in Men's.

So well done to Liam for being the one to join the expected team members of Patrick and Kevin. :clap:

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Liam is going to be buried at the oly's and world;s . He is not known internationally and he is a Jason Brown type. But Jason has far more exposure than Liam and lands his 3A far more consistently Liam is not even close to consistently landing it even chan is better. Probably Jeffrey Buttle for that matter.

spikydurian

Medalist
Congratulations to the Canadian team. Love them all though was disappointed for those who didn't make it. Fortunately, no drama otherwise, this thread will be 100 pages long!:p
Go Team Canada.

Florencito

Medalist
Lovely. Everyone I would have wanted in the team ended up third like Lacoste or fourth :cry: Of my faves only W/P made it.
Anyway, congrats to everyone and good luck.
Do we know something about World team? Or is it gonna be the same?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm unfamiliar with Liam Firus.

What more well-known skater might he be compared to?

Is he like Max Aaron, or he is more like Adam Rippon... I'm not saying this correctly... generally I'm just looking for a description of his skating.